Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 21-05-2020, 19:58   #1321
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I just did, but from a different thread. It's on here too but I can't be arsed to trawl through 88 pages!
If you make a claim like that then prove it OB.
Old 21-05-2020, 20:12   #1322
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I just did, but from a different thread. It's on here too but I can't be arsed to trawl through 88 pages!
Thanks Old Boy for digging up my old post, which I think you will find entirely consistent with my most recent one here.

Quote:
We've done this one. Costs buttons to maintain a linear presence if you own the content anyway.
My bold.

You keep wilfully leaving out this caveat.

You will find that my position is entirely consistent with the BBCs here.

Quote:
The BBC are making all of the content anyway, however not getting the reach or the viewers by streaming alone. Why cut their nose off to spite their face to make you happy?
You can pick any channel run on a shoestring budget on the Sky EPG to confirm that the actual cost of broadcasting is tiny compared to the actual cost of content.

You are the only person that sees this as a zero sum game. These companies (and more importantly their shareholders) do not.
Old 21-05-2020, 20:32   #1323
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Thanks Old Boy for digging up my old post, which I think you will find entirely consistent with my most recent one here.

My bold.

You keep wilfully leaving out this caveat.

You will find that my position is entirely consistent with the BBCs here.
My post 1318 includes your caveat. So what's your point? As far as I am aware, BBC3 Online and BBC4 content belongs to the BBC.

So, according to your own assessment, the Beeb should be able to reinstate BBC3 without very much cost at all.

The fact that the Beeb is having to balance whether to replace BBC4 with BBC 3 seems to prove you wrong. If it was so inexpensive to run a channel (ahem, with their own content) why the agonising?

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Quote:

You can pick any channel run on a shoestring budget on the Sky EPG to confirm that the actual cost of broadcasting is tiny compared to the actual cost of content.

You are the only person that sees this as a zero sum game. These companies (and more importantly their shareholders) do not.
Really? So why the agonising over how to fund it, then?

Nothing like reality to demolish a poorly thought out argument.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

Quote:

The only one? Another untruth.
Old 21-05-2020, 20:33   #1324
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
My post 1318 includes your caveat. So what's your point?
My point is that you wilfully misrepresent it. As in post 1314, noted by Hugh in post 1315.

Quote:
As far as I am aware, BBC3 Online and BBC4 content belongs to the BBC.

So, according to your own assessment, the Beeb should be able to reinstate BBC3 without very much cost at all.

The fact that the Beeb is having to balance whether to replace BBC4 with BBC 3 seems to prove you wrong. If it was so inexpensive to run a channel (ahem, with their own content) why the agonising?
BBC 4 has an annual budget of £44m. They want to invest in content for BBC 3 - doubling investment to £80m.

So the choice that the BBC are toiling over is, unsurprisingly, much more complex than the simplistic way you portrayed it in your post. Some credible links too:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...nder-proposals

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...losure-rumours

Quote:
Really? So why the agonising over how to fund it, then?

Nothing like reality to demolish a poorly thought out argument.
I couldn't have put that better myself.

Last edited by jfman; 21-05-2020 at 20:37.
Old 21-05-2020, 21:32   #1325
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I quite understand - why should you have to resort to evidence-based discussion...

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Quote:
My point is that you wilfully misrepresent it. As in post 1314, noted by Hugh in post 1315.

BBC 4 has an annual budget of £44m. They want to invest in content for BBC 3 - doubling investment to £80m.

So the choice that the BBC are toiling over is, unsurprisingly, much more complex than the simplistic way you portrayed it in your post. Some credible links too:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...nder-proposals

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...losure-rumours

I couldn't have put that better myself.
tuppence, £80m - not much difference...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 21-05-2020, 21:57   #1326
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I've never denied that content costs money.
Old 22-05-2020, 02:08   #1327
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Jfman believes that a linear TV station can be run for tuppence, so it really shouldn’t even a problem, Den. 😂

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

Not yet it’s not. Don’t know where you got that from.

Ask that question again in the next decade.
Dude i work in the tv channel industry and i can tell you now there are plans set for at least 30 years for linear tv so it aint going anywhere, the number of channels will drop for sure and online tv will grow without a doubt but remember live tv via internet is still linear tv.
Old 22-05-2020, 08:22   #1328
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I've never denied that content costs money.
I know - you also never said a linear station can be run for tuppence.

What you should have said was that a linear station could be run for tuppence (inflation adjusted) in the 2030s...
Old 22-05-2020, 11:02   #1329
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I quite understand - why should you have to resort to evidence-based discussion...

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

tuppence, £80m - not much difference...
I agree that jfman didn't actually say it would cost tuppence to run a linear channel. He actually said it would cost 'buttons', which is much the same thing. I acknowledge his caveat, but I have never questioned that.

According to your links, the BBC want to increase funding for BBC3, which is fine. However, given the dearth of new programming on BBC4, it is amazing that the channel costs as much as it does to run.
Old 22-05-2020, 11:36   #1330
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I agree that jfman didn't actually say it would cost tuppence to run a linear channel. He actually said it would cost 'buttons', which is much the same thing. I acknowledge his caveat, but I have never questioned that.

According to your links, the BBC want to increase funding for BBC3, which is fine. However, given the dearth of new programming on BBC4, it is amazing that the channel costs as much as it does to run.
Not much new content on BBC1 or BBC2 either so why should 3/4 be any different?

Not a great deal on streamed TV either - the virus affects every type of TV.
Old 22-05-2020, 11:42   #1331
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Not much new content on BBC1 or BBC2 either so why should 3/4 be any different?

Not a great deal on streamed TV either - the virus affects every type of TV.
Agreed i'm glad i have a huge backlog of shows and movies to watch.
Old 22-05-2020, 11:47   #1332
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

You didn’t acknowledge the caveat in your reply to Den. That’s the point.

Even in this post you are conflating the cost of running a linear channel (including content) and creating a linear broadcast (from content you own and are likely streaming.

Not once have you ever demonstrated how and when linear ceases to be viable. Switch on a TV and press 1 is always going to hold some value because of it’s prominence and it works if your internet provider goes down. https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/28/thous...ours-12619391/
Old 22-05-2020, 19:02   #1333
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
You didn’t acknowledge the caveat in your reply to Den. That’s the point.

Even in this post you are conflating the cost of running a linear channel (including content) and creating a linear broadcast (from content you own and are likely streaming.

Not once have you ever demonstrated how and when linear ceases to be viable. Switch on a TV and press 1 is always going to hold some value because of it’s prominence and it works if your internet provider goes down. https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/28/thous...ours-12619391/

Didn't he say 2035?
Old 22-05-2020, 19:29   #1334
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Didn't he say 2035?
That’s the figure plucked from the air, yes. The “how” part is somewhat lacking.
Old 22-05-2020, 19:31   #1335
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Didn't he say 2035?
Yes - in this thread, post #303 from 2018.

Quote:
If you go back to all my posts on this, you will see that I have been looking towards 2035 (originally 20 years ahead but less now)!

It will be a gradual process at first, but that will speed up as fast broadband speeds become available throughout the country and more people become used to on demand viewing. The reduction in audience levels for the conventional TV channels will lead to reduced advertising revenues and ultimately, these channels will start closing down.

Some have said that the BBC won't be affected as they don't carry commercials, but even they are working on the basis that in 15 years' time' streaming and on demand viewing will be the focus.

Others have said that we will always see conventional channels for showing sport, but we can all see the trend towards streaming of live sport - the new Eleven Sports streaming service being the latest example.
But 5 years ago, in another thread.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris

You think that was easy?

Try reading the last several months worth of posts in this thread. The reasons why linear TV is not going to end any time in the foreseeable future are many, and have been set out, repeatedly, in this discussion. There are those here that love Netflix (or whatever) and find it impossibly hard to understand why anyone should feel differently. That leads them to make manifestly silly assertions about broadcast TV being switched off within 10 years.

It may have escaped your notice, but the BBC is currently engaged in the charter renewal process, which will grant it a royal charter for the next 10 years. In other words, it is blatantly obvious that Old Boy's original claim in this thread is false. The BBC will still be broadcasting linear TV channels on Christmas Day 2025. If the BBC guarantees the market, then other broadcasters will also still be there. They will all still be there in 2035 as well. And beyond.
In ten years? You may be right. In 20? Do you remember what it was like watching TV 20 years ago? In 1995, analogue cable TV was just being rolled out and most people did not have the Internet.

Given all the changes that can happen in a short space of time, particularly now, with technological advances being made at an ever faster rate, I don't think it wise to be saying that the existing linear TV model will still exist, at least in its present form, in the longer term.

And as for the BBC, I did not say that it would not exist in ten years. There's not a reason that I can think of why the BBC should not present all of its programmes by way of streaming in the future.

Incidentally, the BBC may be the last to depart from linear TV broadcasting, given that their channels do not waste 15 minutes of every hour showing commercials!

Last edited by Hugh; 22-05-2020 at 19:35.
Closed Thread