Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 13:50   #1276
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If the terrestrial and pay TV channels are to survive in the future, they will have to pay more attention to the revenues side of their operations. ITV has taken measures to be less reliant on advertising, but even now, their woes continue when advertising revenues decline.

Despite some believing that pay tv channels will survive even with a reduction in advertising, I think this has its limits. There are only so many efficiences that you can make without leading to a decline in output.

To my mind, ITV's continuing difficulties tell me that traditional TV has its days numbered.

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20200506...#axzz6Leubj4ud
Yes, that certainly plays to your mindset, Old Boy.
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2020, 15:10   #1277
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
If the terrestrial and pay TV channels are to survive in the future, they will have to pay more attention to the revenues side of their operations. ITV has taken measures to be less reliant on advertising, but even now, their woes continue when advertising revenues decline.

Despite some believing that pay tv channels will survive even with a reduction in advertising, I think this has its limits. There are only so many efficiences that you can make without leading to a decline in output.

To my mind, ITV's continuing difficulties tell me that traditional TV has its days numbered.

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20200506...#axzz6Leubj4ud

ITV may be struggling with a drop in Advertisement Revenue but the BBC won't be.

Whilst ads are an income stream for Pay TV channels the subscription money paid to view these channels will keep them going.

I would think those minor channels who pay VM to carry them and are free to air will be the first to go.
Old 08-05-2020, 18:46   #1278
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Interestingly, Britbox UK and the ITV Hub are both performing well. This will concentrate minds not only of ITV but also other broadcasters. Clearly, the future is in streaming.

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2020/05/mixe...sitive-on.html
Old 08-05-2020, 18:49   #1279
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Interestingly, Britbox UK and the ITV Hub are both performing well. This will concentrate minds not only of ITV but also other broadcasters. Clearly, the future is in streaming.

No announcement of giving up their Channel 3 licences I see. Clearly there's money to be made in linear broadcasting, in addition to other revenue sources like streaming.
Old 08-05-2020, 18:56   #1280
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
No announcement of giving up their Channel 3 licences I see. Clearly there's money to be made in linear broadcasting, in addition to other revenue sources like streaming.
Quite. For the time being, at least.
Old 08-05-2020, 18:58   #1281
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Quote:
Meanwhile, ITV was upbeat about BritBox UK - while not providing numbers, it said it was seeing "good growth" in users taking a free trial and subscribing. It also confirmed the service would officially arrive on Freeview Play "shortly". Many smart TVs that support Freeview Play have already seen the BritBox app added to the device's app tray or app store.

ITV was equally upbeat about its the ITV Hub service, which recorded a 13% year-on-year growth of the number of registered accounts for the service.
Not sure how a growth in free services shows the future is in streaming?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 08-05-2020, 20:05   #1282
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You could also ask how a decline in free TV audiences shows that the future includes TV channels.

You've only got to look at the US to see the way we will be going.
Old 08-05-2020, 20:41   #1283
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Thank you for answering my question with a question*, Socrates...

I could have, but strangely enough, I didn’t.

You could have answered my question, but not strangely enough, you didn't.

*not really...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 08-05-2020 at 20:46.
Old 08-05-2020, 21:36   #1284
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I had Britbox for the initial free trial and cancelled , I've now got it again for the 6 months free trial but whilst watching it occasionly certainly won't continue past this period.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:39   #1285
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

This article acknowledges the recent increase in TV viewing during the lockdown, both traditional and streamed. However, it draws attention to a minority who are struggling with the latest technology. One person's viewing had greatly reduced since buying a smart TV because of its complexity. Others wanted Netflix but couldn't understand how you joined. Some folk cannot understand modern remote controls so leave it to their partners. Others cannot cope with iPlayer and ITV Hub.

I am 72 and record on the V6 and use Netflix and Amazon Prime and have recently acquired a Chromecast to stream Disney+ from my phone BUT when I sit down I want it easy and relaxing. I find some modern technology is going in the opposite direction.

https://thenextweb.com/syndication/2...-inaccessible/
Old 11-05-2020, 19:32   #1286
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
This article acknowledges the recent increase in TV viewing during the lockdown, both traditional and streamed. However, it draws attention to a minority who are struggling with the latest technology. One person's viewing had greatly reduced since buying a smart TV because of its complexity. Others wanted Netflix but couldn't understand how you joined. Some folk cannot understand modern remote controls so leave it to their partners. Others cannot cope with iPlayer and ITV Hub.

I am 72 and record on the V6 and use Netflix and Amazon Prime and have recently acquired a Chromecast to stream Disney+ from my phone BUT when I sit down I want it easy and relaxing. I find some modern technology is going in the opposite direction.

https://thenextweb.com/syndication/2...-inaccessible/
If you search for your Netflix and Amazon programmes in the 'search and discover' part of your menu, you can bookmark the show and it will appear in 'My Shows'. That way, accessing your streamed programmes is as easy as accessing your recordings.
Old 11-05-2020, 21:04   #1287
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I think a vaccine will be the future, forget streaming, it'll be of little relevance.
Old 11-05-2020, 22:05   #1288
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
If you search for your Netflix and Amazon programmes in the 'search and discover' part of your menu, you can bookmark the show and it will appear in 'My Shows'. That way, accessing your streamed programmes is as easy as accessing your recordings.
What I am finding is that the picture quality from my phone by WiFi to the Chromecast plugged into the TV is, amazingly, better than from the fully wired V6. As Disney+ is not on the V6 and I rarely record premium channels it questions the need for the V6.

It is easier to get the apps going by casting from my phone (strangely turning on Chromecast by pressing the cast button automatically turns on my pre-smart TV and selects the correct input) so I use my phone for all three streaming services as well as iPlayer.

Not yet ready to ditch recorded linear programmes, however. One reason is that I must have subtitles. Once you get away from the major linear channels, subtitles are somewhat hit and miss. For example, though iPlayer has them for recorded programmes it doesn't for live programmes or if you use the 'start from the beginning' facility.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:14   #1289
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
What I am finding is that the picture quality from my phone by WiFi to the Chromecast plugged into the TV is, amazingly, better than from the fully wired V6. As Disney+ is not on the V6 and I rarely record premium channels it questions the need for the V6.

It is easier to get the apps going by casting from my phone (strangely turning on Chromecast by pressing the cast button automatically turns on my pre-smart TV and selects the correct input) so I use my phone for all three streaming services as well as iPlayer.

Not yet ready to ditch recorded linear programmes, however. One reason is that I must have subtitles. Once you get away from the major linear channels, subtitles are somewhat hit and miss. For example, though iPlayer has them for recorded programmes it doesn't for live programmes or if you use the 'start from the beginning' facility.
This is something i noticed regarding skyq my netflix, itvhub etc pic quality is better from my nvidia shield than skyq, however live channel wise skyq wins hands down for pic quality.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:18   #1290
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

Yes, I am amazed that your Chronecast method gives you a better picture. As a matter of interest, have you set your picture settings on the V6 to the UHD setting (assuming you have a UHD TV, of course)?

Like you, I am not yet ready to ditch the linear channels, but my reason is simply that there are some programmes that would not be accessible through streaming only at present. I would expect that to change before too much longer, however. I did work out what I would be missing if I cut the cable a couple of years ago, and the TV Player appeared to fill most of the gaps, but this turned out to be a disappointment and I gave up with TV Player. Given that it is taking services off its platform now, I think perhaps I'm not the only one to be disappointed with it.

I look forward to the day when I can get all of my programme needs through VM without the need to subscribe to all those rubbish TV channels I don't use and simply access their comprehensive on demand selection. Provided it gives me what I need (particularly the ability to watch stuff I've bookmarked for up to a year), this could save me a sum of money. Hopefully, VM will step up to the plate and let me do this, with all the new streaming services provided from launch. The failure so far to acquire the rights to bring us Disney +, however, is not a good sign.
Closed Thread