Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 25-03-2020, 09:27   #7501
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Hayu is just intolerable rubbish to my mind. Hopefully, Virgin will replace it with something much better. Disney+ to top end viewers, perhaps, free of extra charge?
Not a chance of it being free of charge as streaming companies are not charities you know.
Old 25-03-2020, 10:49   #7502
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Not a chance of it being free of charge as streaming companies are not charities you know.
If Virgin can do it for Hayu, why not for Disney +? Ok, maybe not free of charge, but they could apply a discount equal to the value of Hayu.

All I'm saying is that it is an option which would counter Sky's hype about 'exclusive integration' which to my mind is of marginal benefit to the viewer.
Old 25-03-2020, 11:56   #7503
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
If Virgin can do it for Hayu, why not for Disney +? Ok, maybe not free of charge, but they could apply a discount equal to the value of Hayu.

All I'm saying is that it is an option which would counter Sky's hype about 'exclusive integration' which to my mind is of marginal benefit to the viewer.
Do you mean the service that was included at no extra cost for all new and existing TV XL TiVo customers?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 25-03-2020, 11:59   #7504
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Hayu is just intolerable rubbish to my mind. Hopefully, Virgin will replace it with something much better. Disney+ to top end viewers, perhaps, free of extra charge?
Ok OB you're getting a bit silly now mate.
Old 25-03-2020, 12:59   #7505
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Do you mean the service that was included at no extra cost for all new and existing TV XL TiVo customers?
It was no extra cost to viewers, but clearly, Virgin must have paid Hayu.

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Ok OB you're getting a bit silly now mate.
Why would that be silly? Who is paying Hayu? Presumably Virgin, out of subscription receipts.

Why would you say Virgin would not top up our fees with the same contribution? It would be a good selling point for Virgin, whereas Hayu was of limited value.
Old 25-03-2020, 13:04   #7506
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Why would you say Virgin would not top up our fees with the same contribution? It would be a good selling point for Virgin, whereas Hayu was of limited value.
It might have been of limited value to you l suspect it was not of limited value to some women but still one size fits all seems to be your modus operandi.
Old 25-03-2020, 13:31   #7507
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Why would that be silly? Who is paying Hayu? Presumably Virgin, out of subscription receipts.

Thats an assumption, whilst my statement was a fact.

It still appears you were asking for a credit for something you weren’t paying extra for...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 25-03-2020, 14:05   #7508
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
It might have been of limited value to you l suspect it was not of limited value to some women but still one size fits all seems to be your modus operandi.
It was of limited value to most people, Den. I don't doubt that some women would have liked it. But overall, Hayu is not the most popular of apps.

Even my wife, who likes programming from TLC and Quest Red, gave this a wide berth.

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 ----------

Quote:

It still appears you were asking for a credit for something you weren’t paying extra for...
Hugh, you're not getting what I was saying.

Hayu was provided to top end Virgin Media viewers 'at no extra cost'. However, Virgin must have paid Hayu for their streamer, and where the money came from doesn't matter. All I am saying is that if Virgin could do this for Hayu, surely they must be able to do it for Disney+.

They could either provide Disney to VM viewers on the top package for no extra charge, or they could provide it on a subsidised basis. It would pay for itself, surely, with the extra subscribers that would attract.

If Sky can discount Netflix by pairing it with Sky Box Sets and taking money off, so can Virgin come to an arrangement that suits its operation.
Old 25-03-2020, 14:18   #7509
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

At the end of the day, customers were paying for it, albeit it wasn't seperately itemised.

It's similar to the same argument that BT Sports isn't free to Full House customers.
Old 25-03-2020, 14:20   #7510
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
At the end of the day, customers were paying for it, albeit it wasn't seperately itemised.

It's similar to the same argument that BT Sports isn't free to Full House customers.
I don't deny that, Richard, but it was a hidden extra. As I said, it matters not how VM funded it, that money would be better used going towards Disney +.
Old 25-03-2020, 14:24   #7511
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Hugh, you're not getting what I was saying.

Hayu was provided to top end Virgin Media viewers 'at no extra cost'. However, Virgin must have paid Hayu for their streamer, and where the money came from doesn't matter. All I am saying is that if Virgin could do this for Hayu, surely they must be able to do it for Disney+.

They could either provide Disney to VM viewers on the top package for no extra charge, or they could provide it on a subsidised basis. It would pay for itself, surely, with the extra subscribers that would attract.

If Sky can discount Netflix by pairing it with Sky Box Sets and taking money off, so can Virgin come to an arrangement that suits its operation.
That would depend on the agreement in place between SKY and Disney+.
Old 25-03-2020, 14:33   #7512
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

As far as i'm aware Disney have absolutely no interest in parterning with anyone, however that's not to say that won't change in the future.
Old 25-03-2020, 14:45   #7513
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Hayu may have paid VM to get in front of their customers knowing that some of them will stay on and pay separately. However, I suspect that Comcast owning Sky and Hayu means that Hayu will channel any promotional deals towards Sky and not VM in the future.

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

Quote:
Maybe they'll give us Sky Atlantic and free beer whilst they're at it.
Old 25-03-2020, 14:59   #7514
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
As far as i'm aware Disney have absolutely no interest in parterning with anyone, however that's not to say that won't change in the future.
I was not suggesting that Disney offers any discount to VM. I was suggesting that VM use the money they were paying Hayu to reduce the cost of Disney + to their top end subscribers.

Or maybe VM might consider bundling all the streamers and offering a discount on that to the value of the Hayu cost. Both Sky and VM are able to offer multiple TV channels at a discount so the same should be happening for a bouquet of streamers. Surely, this would generate more VM subscribers taking the full package, so it would be worth doing this.

---------- Post added at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Hayu may have paid VM to get in front of their customers knowing that some of them will stay on and pay separately. However, I suspect that Comcast owning Sky and Hayu means that Hayu will channel any promotional deals towards Sky and not VM in the future.

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

Maybe they'll give us Sky Atlantic and free beer whilst they're at it.
On your first post, that was a hell of a long time for Hayu to be offering a freebie to Virgin Media, so I doubt that was the case. Three months maybe, six at a stretch, but no longer than that.

As for Comcast owning Sky and Hayu, that would certainly make perfect sense.

On the second post, I think the beer is more likely at this time!

Or maybe Corona lager...
Old 25-03-2020, 18:53   #7515
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Disney+, big deal....
Closed Thread