Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The state benefits system mega-thread.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2020, 20:11   #2611
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,789
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

DWP has to pay compensation to a woman of colour after she was subject to taunts of "paki lover", inappropriate touching and staff spraying body spray on themselves whilst stood next to her etc.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/dw...iscrimination/

I can only assume that this behaviour was by the new younger (cheaper) and inexperienced staff as the older members of staff leave in droves.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2020, 20:14   #2612
Mr K
Lefty Liberal Remoaner
 
Mr K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Posts: 6,297
Mr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze array
Mr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze array
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
DWP has to pay compensation to a woman of colour after she was subject to taunts of "paki lover", inappropriate touching and staff spraying body spray on themselves whilst stood next to her etc.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/dw...iscrimination/

I can only assume that this behaviour was by the new younger (cheaper) and inexperienced staff as the older members of staff leave in droves.
Pay peanuts get monkeys, it's the way the public sector is going.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 20:46   #2613
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,789
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Pay peanuts get monkeys, it's the way the public sector is going.
Absolutely right.

How much more unprofessional can this department get?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...BNHSfY7Pu18TYQ

Claiming disability benefits shouldn't be a game of Deal or No Deal!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 19:22   #2614
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,789
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Next Mondays Panorama will deal with the reasons why the DWP has had to pay out nearly a million pounds of taxpayers money to compensate disabled people for discrimination:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000g6rz
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 20:08   #2615
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,789
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Arrangements regarding benefit claimants and the Coronavirus:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...mpression=true

Sounds sensible, but I bet we hear about sanctions for some when their sanction stats are down.

I'm lucky in that I don't have to attend such meetings in order to receive my benefits; good job as i've decided to self isolate as much as I can.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 05-03-2020 at 20:14.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:54   #2616
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee
 
tweetiepooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winchester
Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
Posts: 2,031
tweetiepooh has reached the bronze age
tweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze age
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Pay peanuts get monkeys, it's the way the public sector is going.
True about the pay, but it used to promise a lifetime of bananas and other fruit, that's all gone now.
__________________
I work for Virgin Media but reply here in my own right. Any help or advice is made as a best effort basis. No comments construe any obligation on VM or its employees.
tweetiepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 14:43   #2617
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,789
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Next Mondays Panorama will deal with the reasons why the DWP has had to pay out nearly a million pounds of taxpayers money to compensate disabled people for discrimination:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000g6rz
It's now been reported that the DWP has lost more Employment Tribunals for disability discrimination than any other employer in Britain.

If they discriminate against their their own disabled staff to such an extent, what hope do disabled claimants have of being treated in a fair and non discriminatory manner?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 17:51   #2618
nomadking
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
Posts: 5,858
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
An employee called Charlotte, 34, suffered serious health problems, including depression.
After four years, she was sacked by the DWP because it claimed she had taken too much sick leave.
What employer would and should put up with that? Either you can do the job or you can't. What "reasonable adjustments" were there meant to be?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 19:40   #2619
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,789
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
What employer would and should put up with that? Either you can do the job or you can't. What "reasonable adjustments" were there meant to be?
If any absence is due to a disability, it should not be classed as mainstream sickness absence and should not be subject to any policies designed to deal with sickness absence that is deemed to be excessive or questionable. To do so is legally viewed as disability discrimination.

As the DWP is trying to get disabled people into work and working disabled people may require more time off, it's an outrage that they either don't know the law or believe that they are above the law.

I'm not sure where you got that quote from, but I highly doubt that they mean that she was off work for four years.

As for your "either you can do the job or you can't" comment, what are disabled claimants supposed to do if they are told that the DWP has deemed them to be fit for work (using their flawed and discredited criteria for evaluating this)?

They go and find employment with the DWP themselves, need some time off work due to their disability and are then disciplined for it!

They can't have it both ways.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 09-03-2020 at 19:50.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 19:53   #2620
nomadking
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
Posts: 5,858
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If any absence is due to a disability, it should not be classed as mainstream sickness absence and should not be subject to any policies designed to deal with sickness absence that is deemed to be excessive or questionable. To do so is legally viewed as disability discrimination.

As the DWP is trying to get disabled people into work and working disabled people may require more time off, it's an outrage that they either don't know the law or believe that they are above the law.

I'm not sure where you got that quote from, but I highly doubt that they mean that she was off work for four years.

As for your "either you can do the job or you can't" comment, what are disabled claimants supposed to do if they are told that the DWP has deemed them to be fit for work (using their flawed and discredited criteria for evaluating this)?

They go and find employment with the DWP themselves, need some time off work due to their disability and are then disciplined for it!

They can't have it both ways.
There comes a point even if there is a genuine disability where they cannot do the job. Plenty of examples where people are "swinging the lead" or making fraudulent claims. Used to be back pain, nowadays depression is the "in thing".
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 20:54   #2621
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,789
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
There comes a point even if there is a genuine disability where they cannot do the job. Plenty of examples where people are "swinging the lead" or making fraudulent claims. Used to be back pain, nowadays depression is the "in thing".
Yes, it's true that some disabled people try out work and find it's too much for them. What do you suggest these people do if their claim was cancelled because they were deemed to be fit for work, they found a job within the DWP and were then dismissed because they had taken time off because their disability prevented them from attending work?

Your flippant and offensive remark about those who suffer from depression shows that you really have no comprehension of mental illness at all.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 21:08   #2622
nomadking
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
Posts: 5,858
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

A room that is big enough to take 12 or more people is not exactly a "small room".


Not all computer software is possible to control with voice activation.


If you're well enough to do a 3 year degree course, why aren't you able to work?


Sciatica is not a disability, it is an condition that people tend to recover from.
Link

Quote:
Sciatica usually gets better in 4 to 6 weeks but can sometimes last longer.


---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Yes, it's true that some disabled people try out work and find it's too much for them. What do you suggest these people do if their claim was cancelled because they were deemed to be fit for work, they found a job within the DWP and were then dismissed because they had taken time off because their disability prevented them from attending work?

Your flippant and offensive remark about those who suffer from depression shows that you really have no comprehension of mental illness at all.
There is clinical depression and there is just feeling down.
Link

Quote:
The symptoms of depression range from mild to severe. At its mildest, you may simply feel persistently low in spirit, while severe depression can make you feel suicidal, that life is no longer worth living.
Most people experience feelings of stress, anxiety or low mood during difficult times. A low mood may improve after a short period of time, rather than being a sign of depression.

I resigned from a job because of severe depression. Day after day I wasn't able to function and do any work.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:00   #2623
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee
 
tweetiepooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winchester
Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
Posts: 2,031
tweetiepooh has reached the bronze age
tweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze agetweetiepooh has reached the bronze age
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Methinks the problem isn't with people with depression but with people who say that they have. Like back pain diagnosis can be hard and CAN have no obvious visible signs so CAN be abused.

It's the abuse that makes things hard for those are genuinely in need having to go to great lengths to prove they need the support. It's sad that many who need the help don't get it and those that don't get away with it.

The other abuse is those who do have conditions then play the system to the detriment of others and the employer.
__________________
I work for Virgin Media but reply here in my own right. Any help or advice is made as a best effort basis. No comments construe any obligation on VM or its employees.
tweetiepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 18:38   #2624
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,789
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
A room that is big enough to take 12 or more people is not exactly a "small room".


Not all computer software is possible to control with voice activation.


If you're well enough to do a 3 year degree course, why aren't you able to work?


Sciatica is not a disability, it is an condition that people tend to recover from.
Link



---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------


There is clinical depression and there is just feeling down.
Link




I resigned from a job because of severe depression. Day after day I wasn't able to function and do any work.
Why do you think that the DWP has successfully had action taken against them for disability discrimination more than any other government department or employer in this country?

I think it's because it reflects the contemporary culture that this particular department has towards disabled people ie they are all liars, malingerers, exaggerating things etc.

I see you were unable to answer my question regarding someone being found fit for work and obtaining a job within the DWP, but then being 'punished' for needing time off work due to their disability.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 19:24   #2625
nomadking
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
Posts: 5,858
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Why do you think that the DWP has successfully had action taken against them for disability discrimination more than any other government department or employer in this country?

I think it's because it reflects the contemporary culture that this particular department has towards disabled people ie they are all liars, malingerers, exaggerating things etc.

I see you were unable to answer my question regarding someone being found fit for work and obtaining a job within the DWP, but then being 'punished' for needing time off work due to their disability.
Taking a lot of time off over the course of 4 years is not doing a job. What "reasonable adjustments" could've been made? As I said, if you're able to do a 3 year degree course, then you were able to work.


Only one of the examples was sacked due to taking time off, and that was the one over 4 years. Another was sacked due to serious errors in her work, that were NOT related to any disability. Another one was where the DWP DID make an adjustment, but he still pursued a claim.


Which of my rebuttals to their arguments aren't true?


In a recently repeated TV programme, a guy was running a bar in Spain. The Police closed it as it didn't have the appropriate licence. He returned to the UK claiming he couldn't work because of anxiety and depression. If that was true, how come was he running the bar, and why was he eager to return to Spain and do the same thing all over again. Many other similar examples in these TV programmes.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:39.


Server: curium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.