Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PM Boris forms a government

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

PM Boris forms a government
Closed Thread

Old 29-08-2019, 12:43   #1471
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: PM Boris forms a government

In the real world, there is this thing called "never say never". Eg you can't really say that you would never do X, as there will often be circumstances where you have little or no choice.
Advertisement
Old 29-08-2019, 13:42   #1472
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
In the real world, there is this thing called "never say never". Eg you can't really say that you would never do X, as there will often be circumstances where you have little or no choice.
Tell that one to the Chancellor!

https://twitter.com/TeamSaj/status/1...ament-11796583
Old 29-08-2019, 13:54   #1473
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
With regards to keeping things open enough not to be caught lying, they have planned the prorogation for a constitutionally recognised reason, and it will reopen 2 weeks before Brexit day. Sajid Javid can easily say he was talking about an arbitrary prorogation, rather than the usual constitutional means of ending a parliamentary session in order to bring forward a Queen’s Speech. Indeed the speculation during the summer has been about a prorogation lasting until 1 November. Such an act would lack political cover and make a successful legal challenge more likely.

Yes, it’s nefarious, it’s scheming, but it’s just the right side of legitimate that in the long run it’s hardly likely to present long-term problems for our democracy. In mid October Parliament will reopen, debates about Brexit will restart and everyone outside the political bubble will wonder, briefly, what the fuss was about, and then forget all about it. That is the political calculation Boris has made. I tend to think it’s accurate.
Old 29-08-2019, 15:46   #1474
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
So you’re saying people can change their mind?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 29-08-2019, 16:01   #1475
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well played.
Old 29-08-2019, 16:34   #1476
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

And, to bring a little levity to this heated and fraught discussion...

https://newsthump.com/2019/08/29/dis...62yOBtk_JiXf6s
Quote:
Dissolving the Imperial Senate is a routine event, insists Grand Moff Tarkin

Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin, Governor of the Outer Rim, has talked to journalists in order to defend Emperor Palpatine’s decision to dissolve the Imperial Senate and assured people that those calling it a coup were Rebel **** who wanted to thwart the will of the people.

The close ally of Palpatine insisted the dissolution was necessary to bring forward a broad legislative agenda that would ensure a crackdown on the Hutts, funding for bacta tanks and ambitious public work projects based around completely harmless artificial moons.

He explained, “The Emperor has a strong mandate based on sorting out that Jedi problem. We all know the senate was full of moaners who still won’t accept the end of the Republic, but this is simply an instrument to give us time to create the kind of Galactic Empire that we can all be proud of.

“Not everything is about the war against the Rebel Alliance. We have ambitious plans to develop intergalactic trade, free Holonet licences for over 75s and telling the Jawas that we’re not a soft touch anymore.”

Grand Moff Tarkin also explained that the dissolution was not an end in itself, and he and other close allies of the Emperor were ready to reach out to others in a spirit of cooperation.

“Darth Vader will be going on a grand ‘Listening’ tour of marginal star systems. He will be visiting planets like Tatooine and is very keen to find out who has objections to our plans.

“As for me, I’m off to Alderaan to show them exactly what we can achieve as long as we unite.”
Old 29-08-2019, 17:38   #1477
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Circumstances can change. Has there been a "consensus in the House of Commons"? That was a pre-condition.

Link

Quote:
Labour's 2017 general election manifesto pledged to "accept the referendum result" - so for some this is a broken promise.
No pre-condition there, fulfilled or unfulfilled.
Old 29-08-2019, 18:25   #1478
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
As has been explained many times on this forum by Chris and others, a Parliament cannot bind future Parliaments, and decisions of Parliament can be overturned by Parliament.

MPs doing their jobs (oversight of and holding to account the Executive) is not "anti-democratic" - it is the very basis of our Parliamentary Democracy.
I'm so disappointed in you. You completely overlook the fact that many if not most Parliamentarians are trying to subvert the Referendum result. That is anti-democratic. They are liars, pretending that they want to stop a no-deal Brexit when they really want to stop Brexit altogether.

And you'd be with them if you were an MP. Awful.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 29-08-2019, 21:02   #1479
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I'm so disappointed in you. You completely overlook the fact that many if not most Parliamentarians are trying to subvert the Referendum result. That is anti-democratic. They are liars, pretending that they want to stop a no-deal Brexit when they really want to stop Brexit altogether.

And you'd be with them if you were an MP. Awful.
And I’m disappointed in you, denying the basis of our Parliamentary Democracy.

But hey ho, somehow we will both manage to struggle on with the shadow of each others’ disappointment taking away our joy in life...

On that note, time for a large glass of red wine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4AD29455-99B0-48A2-9246-0C792251BA41.jpg (11.6 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Hugh; 29-08-2019 at 21:10.
Old 29-08-2019, 21:13   #1480
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
And I’m disappointed in you, denying the basis of our Parliamentary Democracy.

But hey ho, somehow we will both manage to struggle on with the shadow of each others’ disappointment taking away our joy in life...

On that note, time for a large glass of red wine.
As I drink my glass of red wine ....

The issue between us is the superiority of direct democracy (authorised by Parliament) and Parliamentary democracy (when that institution subverts direct democracy).

My advice is at your risk.
Old 29-08-2019, 21:45   #1481
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I predict that on 1st November we still haven’t left the EU.

I hope that isn’t the case, but I fear it will be.

I’m not up to speed on his power but I think the speaker will do something, that stops us leaving, or enables others to stop us, which then forces his resignation - he’s due to leave anyway so he’ll go with a bang.

Then the only way out of this will be a GE, with the parties putting in Black and white what they will do, unequivocally.

Pre leave or post leave a GE is inevitable anyway, and I also believe that regardless of when, Boris will win, or at least not lose.
Old 29-08-2019, 22:22   #1482
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

I’m not up to speed on his power but I think the speaker will do something, that stops us leaving, or enables others to stop us, which then forces his resignation - he’s due to leave anyway so he’ll go with a bang.

Then the only way out of this will be a GE, with the parties putting in Black and white what they will do, unequivocally.

Pre leave or post leave a GE is inevitable anyway, and I also believe that regardless of when, Boris will win, or at least not lose.
I am more confident we will leave on Halloween than I was before, now Boris is in power.

Somebody may yet pull a rabbit out of the hat, but I can't think how!
Old 29-08-2019, 22:25   #1483
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

Welcome to the club, Pierre.
Old 29-08-2019, 22:26   #1484
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

I think we leave with a deal that has a 'reworded' backstop.

Quote:
I think the ideal situation for Boris Johnson is that Parliament does find a way to block No Deal and triggers a VoNC. He can then go the country saying he tried but was blocked from doing so, this is an ideal situation for squeezing out the Brexit Party.

The other alternatives aren't great:
  • Any election after No Deal Brexit? Unless No Deal does turn out to be fine any consequences for it will be placed at his feet. Especially after he would have tried so hard to make it happen.
  • An election after a Deal? Brexit Party will go after the Tories and he isn't winning votes from anywhere else.

Best case for him is an election before Brexit in which the Brexit Party are not a threat. Gives him breathing space to do a Deal and/or to ride out a negative impact on the economy. But he cannot be the one to have called the election.
Old 29-08-2019, 22:29   #1485
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I am more confident we will leave on Halloween than I was before, now Boris is in power.

Somebody may yet pull a rabbit out of the hat, but I can't think how!
I think Corbyn is in a scenario similar to the most often mimicked scene from “ Downfall”.

He’s not guaranteed to win a vote of no confidence, so he’s reluctant.

Likewise the much vaunted General Election he wanted against T.May, that would have been close, is now looking very much less close under Boris.

So he is very impotent at the moment.

Apt.