Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 20-08-2019, 20:38   #2266
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
That's the other complaint I think the millenials are justified in. The very same people who had access to relatively well paid jobs, relatively cheap housing are not only the ones telling them off for being lazy and entitled, but in some cases they are also the people who (because they manage large companies who have replaced UK employee with cheaper, outsourced employees or technology) have removed their chances of employment.
And to top it all off, those who had a free university education along with grants, Housing Benefit etc then pulled the ladder up for those coming after them.

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Working til 75. If we are honest about the situation those born in the 1960s sold all the major state assets, built up structural debts and deficits and enjoyed the benefits placing the burden on those born after 1980.
Well, it wasn't the individuals who did this, it was the Government. There again, it could be argued that it was many of these people who voted for the Governments that did these things.

Edit: I've just been reading that Thatcher made no mention of privatisation in her first manifesto.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-08-2019, 20:51   #2267
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
And to top it all off, those who had a free university education along with grants, Housing Benefit etc then pulled the ladder up for those coming after them.

Well, it wasn't the individuals who did this, it was the Government. There again, it could be argued that it was many of these people who voted for the Governments that did these things.

Edit: I've just been reading that Thatcher made no mention of privatisation in her first manifesto.
How many students actually pay off their loans? In effect they are still mostly free.

The privatisation of British Gas didn't happen until 1986. So nothing to do with a 1979 manifesto.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 20:53   #2268
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Points of information

A) in 1970 600,000 attended University, now it is 2.4 million - four times as many

B) Housing Benefit was introduced in 1982, and £22 billion was spent on it last year, which is double the amount spent in the early 2000s, and 4 million people receive it - how is this "pulling up the ladder"?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 21:08   #2269
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Due to current health issues progressing I have had to give up looking for a new job and instead am faced with claiming Universal Credit, council tax benefit and ESA along with trying to get my PIP changed to the higher tier.

What a hell of a process for it all.
Old 20-08-2019, 21:25   #2270
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Due to current health issues progressing I have had to give up looking for a new job and instead am faced with claiming Universal Credit, council tax benefit and ESA along with trying to get my PIP changed to the higher tier.

Due to wife being made redundant, as I was already claiming ESA and PIP, meant that Universal credit has to be made jointly so I had to apply for it as well so my ESA and PIP is just deducted from UC, same with carers allowance too. It really is hell. It has taken 11 weeks so far and they don't really help you either. I pity anyone that has to go through this process.
Old 20-08-2019, 21:34   #2271
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Due to wife being made redundant, as I was already claiming ESA and PIP, meant that Universal credit has to be made jointly so I had to apply for it as well so my ESA and PIP is just deducted from UC, same with carers allowance too. It really is hell. It has taken 11 weeks so far and they don't really help you either. I pity anyone that has to go through this process.
Same 2ith me, wife has to be part of the claim and as she is a student on 10 hours a week she actually has to visit the job centre every week as well as applying for jobs still for her commitments.

I mean how ridiculous. ESA getting deducted from UC, is just a joke. What help is that really....

We got lucky the woman that helped us get the paperwork sorted helped us a lot.
Old 20-08-2019, 21:34   #2272
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Sorry to hear that you have had to give up work Stephen.

As for the process its definitely pretty stressful as the process of filling the form in and then going through the processes of the system can make anybody stressful IMO.
Old 20-08-2019, 21:37   #2273
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Sorry to hear that you have had to give up work Stephen.

Cheers Den. Well I got made redundant in May, but but consultant in the renal dept. Has told me not to start a new job now as I'll be on dialysis within a few month as needing a kidney transplant.
Old 20-08-2019, 21:38   #2274
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Same 2ith me, wife has to be part of the claim and as she is a student on 10 hours a week she actually has to visit the job centre every week as well as applying for jobs still for her commitments.

I mean how ridiculous. ESA getting deducted from UC, is just a joke. What help is that really....

If your wife can claim carers allowance depending on what benefits you're on now, then she would be exempt from those commitments. And less chance of sanctions etc too.
Old 20-08-2019, 21:38   #2275
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
How many students actually pay off their loans? In effect they are still mostly free.

The privatisation of British Gas didn't happen until 1986. So nothing to do with a 1979 manifesto.
Yes, the irony is that some won't pay all or even any student loan back.

When was the first Tory privatisation?
Old 20-08-2019, 21:42   #2276
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Cheers Den. Well I got made redundant in May, but but consultant in the renal dept. Has told me not to start a new job now as I'll be on dialysis within a few month as needing a kidney transplant.
Not a expert on Dialysis but from what my late uncle had to do was he had to go to dialysis three times a week and was there for 4 hours at a time but that was a while back and l don't know if it has changed since then.

Have they put you on the kidney transplant list yet?.
Old 20-08-2019, 21:55   #2277
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Points of information

A) in 1970 600,000 attended University, now it is 2.4 million - four times as many

B) Housing Benefit was introduced in 1982, and £22 billion was spent on it last year, which is double the amount spent in the early 2000s, and 4 million people receive it - how is this "pulling up the ladder"?
A) Yes, the amount of people now going to university has expanded enormously, but the extra funding wasn't provided for this. I actually think that there are now too many going to university as it lessens the value of a degree.

B) The baby boomers paid no tuition fees, received a maintenance grant, could claim help for travel, books etc. In addition, they could claim Housing Benefit towards their rent and could claim benefits as unemployed during the holidays.

Now that the baby boomers have got their free degrees and have achieved positions of power, they have stopped the above for most students and implemented tax cuts.

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
If your wife can claim carers allowance depending on what benefits you're on now, then she would be exempt from those commitments. And less chance of sanctions etc too.
Yes, also, if Stephen gets the standard or enhanced care of the daily living component of PIP, his wife could possibly get Carers Allowance. Every penny of this would be deducted from UC, but claiming it attracts an extra top up called the Carers Element.

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear this too Stephen, it's a stressful and worrying time. Contribution Based ESA (Now referred to as 'New Style ESA') is indeed taken off UC penny for penny.

If you look at the post above, your wife might be able to claim Carers Allowance though, but there are limits as to how many hours she can study and claim this benefit. In addition, she would have to be caring for you for at least 35 hours a week.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 20-08-2019 at 21:58.
Old 20-08-2019, 22:13   #2278
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
A) Yes, the amount of people now going to university has expanded enormously, but the extra funding wasn't provided for this. I actually think that there are now too many going to university as it lessens the value of a degree.

B) The baby boomers paid no tuition fees, received a maintenance grant, could claim help for travel, books etc. In addition, they could claim Housing Benefit towards their rent and could claim benefits as unemployed during the holidays.

Now that the baby boomers have got their free degrees and have achieved positions of power, they have stopped the above for most students and implemented tax cuts.

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

Yes, also, if Stephen gets the standard or enhanced care of the daily living component of PIP, his wife could claim Carers Allowance. Every penny of this will be deducted from UC, but claiming it attracts an extra top up called the Carers Element.

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

I'm sorry to hear this too Stephen, it's a stressful and worrying time. Contribution Based ESA (Now referred to as 'New Style ESA') is indeed taken off UC penny for penny.

If you look at the post above, your wife might be able to claim Carers Allowance though, but there are limits as to how many hours she can study and claim this benefit.
If the increase in places isn't being funded, where are they getting all the money to build new and additional premises? It's covered by tuition fees.

Don't remember housing benefit being available or help for travel and books, and benefits were only available during the long summer break(I asked at the time).

To make things simpler perhaps there should be a single working-age benefit? As suggested by the Government/DWP in 2009. Perhaps it could be called Universal Credit. The ESA is included in the UC payments, not deducted from anywhere.
Old 20-08-2019, 22:32   #2279
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
If the increase in places isn't being funded, where are they getting all the money to build new and additional premises? It's covered by tuition fees.

Don't remember housing benefit being available or help for travel and books, and benefits were only available during the long summer break(I asked at the time).

To make things simpler perhaps there should be a single working-age benefit? As suggested by the Government/DWP in 2009. Perhaps it could be called Universal Credit. The ESA is included in the UC payments, not deducted from anywhere.
Exactly, but How much of these loans to pay the fees will have to be written off?

Yep, students could claim Housing Benefit, how much depended on their level of grant, if they had a part time job, if their parents paid a deed of covenant etc.

In the summer, Christmas and Easter holidays, students could claim Unemployment Benefit/Supplementary Benefit/Income Support and receive more help towards their rent during these periods.

There were also extra things available, such as travel to visit parents if the student lived away, extra money for disability, maturity etc.

Edit: It's worth noting that certain groups of students can still claim social security benefits whilst a student eg lone parents, the disabled etc.
Old 20-08-2019, 22:44   #2280
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Exactly, but How much of these loans to pay the fees will have to be written off?

Yep, students could claim Housing Benefit, how much depended on their level of grant, if they had a part time job, if their parents paid a deed of covenant etc.

In the summer, Christmas and Easter holidays, students could claim Unemployment Benefit/Supplementary Benefit/Income Support and receive more help towards their rent during these periods.

There were also extra things available, such as travel to visit parents if the student lived away, extra money for disability, maturity etc.

Edit: It's worth noting that certain groups of students can still claim social security benefits whilst a student eg lone parents, the disabled etc.
Lot of ifs there for claiming HB. As I said, at the time I tried to get benefits for Xmas and Easter and was told "no".