Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 00:32   #5941
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

He leaves out who was responsible for the death of Blockbuster in the first place....
Old 09-08-2019, 00:42   #5942
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
However the viewer doesn’t have to work to the schedule.
Of course they do.
You could not record something until it was actually broadcast, which relies on the schedule.
PVRs will never kill scheduled broadcasts, and were never designed to (rather obviously really).

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:22   #5943
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
He leaves out who was responsible for the death of Blockbuster in the first place....
Well l thought l would leave that to the great and the good on here to work that one out.

---------- Post added at 05:22 ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

That's exactly what you have been saying about streaming, Den!
If you have read my posts MM my points have always been that the greatly predicted complete takeover of peoples viewing by streaming companies by some on here was a figment of their great imagination and that broadcast linear TV viewing was always going to remain for many the main outlet of their TV viewing.

Last edited by denphone; 09-08-2019 at 08:08.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:24   #5944
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

The difference between Netflix and it's competitors are the fact Netflix is a one trick pony , all it's competitors have other business units with which to monetise its investment in content with things like retail stores , theme parks plus much more.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:09   #5945
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

And one trick ponies inevitably get found out sooner rather then later...
Old 09-08-2019, 08:32   #5946
rosemartine
Inactive

rosemartine is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm enjoying on netflix. Using netflix app in my mobile. I'm watching Four Weddings and a Funeral.
Just awesome movie.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:40   #5947
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Of course they do.
You could not record something until it was actually broadcast, which relies on the schedule.
PVRs will never kill scheduled broadcasts, and were never designed to (rather obviously really).
To the end user they can watch what they want, when they want (subject to it being broadcast). I don't see how that's any different from watching what they want, when they want, subject to it being uploaded by the streamer.

It's another form of delivery, that is all.

Of course it couldn't kill off broadcast television (in my view nothing will in the medium to long term) but the flexibility to the viewer is fundamentally the same.

Last edited by jfman; 09-08-2019 at 08:50.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:44   #5948
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
To the end user they can watch what they want, when they want (subject to it being broadcast). I don't see how that's any different from watching what they want, when they want, subject to it being uploaded by the streamer.

It's another form of delivery, that is all.

Of course it couldn't kill off broadcast television (in my view nothing will in the medium to long term) but the flexibility to the viewer is fundamentally the same.
I think you have a mental block with this. Once a programme is broadcast, it's lost if you haven't recorded it. Whereas once a programme is on Netflix, it's there for a long time and you can see every programme in the series.

A lot of people don't have recorders, and even those that do fail to record much. Those that do can run out of space and it can be a constant juggle to ensure there is room left for new stuff coming through.

Streaming does not require recording space and all the programmes you identify as worth watching are just there, waiting to be viewed.

Having to record everything in advance is just a pain, and the sooner everything is there on demand, the better, as far as I am concerned.

To be talking about the end of Netfix when it is the most popular streamer in the world is your fantasy.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:21   #5949
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Popular doesn't equal profit, or a business model Old Boy. I thought you'd have known that by now.

Far from me having the mental block it is you. People continue to watch live TV (and adverts) despite having the technology at their fingertips to never have to do such a thing ever again.

If it isn't important to see things "live" or "near live" they could save up entire series and binge watch at their leisure. On demand, an excellent example of where viewers can presently deviate from linear, further increases the flexibility around this.

Yet people continue to watch live TV as part of the mix. I ask again, what makes streaming so special as a delivery model to achieve what PVRs and On Demand cannot?
Old 09-08-2019, 13:07   #5950
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

God you 2 are like a broken record, we get it you both disagree with each other and that will never change.

My watching habits are, even though i have a V6 99.99% of my viewing is done via streaming, on Kodi or Amazon Prime.
Old 09-08-2019, 13:28   #5951
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The difference between Netflix and it's competitors are the fact Netflix is a one trick pony , all it's competitors have other business units with which to monetise its investment in content with things like retail stores , theme parks plus much more.
Disney in particular is a well rounded media company which is why I like them so much, so agree these are fair points, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And one trick ponies inevitably get found out sooner rather then later...
Perhaps, unless they become thoroughbred stallions faster and better than anyone else.
Old 09-08-2019, 13:35   #5952
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
God you 2 are like a broken record, we get it you both disagree with each other and that will never change.

My watching habits are, even though i have a V6 99.99% of my viewing is done via streaming, on Kodi or Amazon Prime.
You could say that about half the threads on here SnoopZ.
Old 09-08-2019, 13:38   #5953
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Popular doesn't equal profit, or a business model Old Boy. I thought you'd have known that by now.

Far from me having the mental block it is you. People continue to watch live TV (and adverts) despite having the technology at their fingertips to never have to do such a thing ever again.

If it isn't important to see things "live" or "near live" they could save up entire series and binge watch at their leisure. On demand, an excellent example of where viewers can presently deviate from linear, further increases the flexibility around this.

Yet people continue to watch live TV as part of the mix. I ask again, what makes streaming so special as a delivery model to achieve what PVRs and On Demand cannot?
Popular gets subscribers, so popular does equal profit. Of course people are still viewing scheduled tv - I never said they were not. What I am saying is that the trend is pointing very much towards what I have been saying will happen for some time now.

Scheduled TV is restrictive. It is nothing like as convenient as on demand viewing. However, I get that you are happy with the status quo.

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You could say that about half the threads on here SnoopZ.
And your responses are just as predictable, Den!
Old 09-08-2019, 13:39   #5954
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post

Perhaps, unless they become thoroughbred stallions faster and better than anyone else.
They are only so many that become the thoroughbred stallions of this world like your Dubawi's and Galileo's and their prices are very premium indeed.
Old 09-08-2019, 13:46   #5955
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

From mid-August Now TV is joining Tesco Club Card as one of their reward partners. Your club card vouchers will be worth triple the value in Now TV credit.

Nice little perk if you are a Tesco club card user.
Closed Thread