Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 00:00   #991
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
The CBS/Viacom remerger is expected to be announced next week, so we should get a combined streamer from them at some point over the next year or so.

On Disney's removal of content, was that ever confirmed for the UK Netflix service? I can't seem to find any announcement about that. Even in the States, due to existing contracts, some Disney material will remain on Netflix US into 2021.

Although I largely agree with OB's views, I do think we need to add the caveat that we don't know whether the Hollywood media cos will withhold content from Sky/Virgin/Netflix UK etc yet. I think the signs are obvious, but we need to wait and see what actually happens.

We know what's going to happen in the States, or at least some idea, as there have been several announcements, but as contracts with global broadcasters don't expire until the mid 2020s in some cases, we may not feel the pain, yet, that will be felt in the States.
With HULU global launching in the uk next year i think we will see a HULU/Disney+ combi product in UK.
Plans are in place for Disney content to be exclusive to Disney+ as it expands globally.
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2019, 00:43   #992
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Like the sunrise inevitably a regular occurrence is Old Boy trotting out more opinion pieces of the exact same discredited opinions. C'est la vie.
You ask for links, I provide you with links and you still persist, with no links of your own to back up your rigid opinions. C’est la vie.
Old 02-08-2019, 00:53   #993
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
You are asking the wrong man for details. He's been quite open that details, and economics, aren't his bag.
You come up with economics, jfman, but that's hardly supplying any real hard evidence that your economics arguments will win the day, none of us on this forum/thread know what these companies have planned/are planning do we? Yes, we all read the various articles that we see online, you, like everyone else is relying on what we hear/read etc from items on TV or the web, OB is supplying articles that he has found on varoius websites which seem to support his views as to where we are heading as far as streaming and linear tv is concerned, and how we watch it, but you continually dismiss this, so can I ask you to supply us with evidence to the contrary that the various articles supplied by OB will not happen?
Old 04-08-2019, 10:29   #994
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You come up with economics, jfman, but that's hardly supplying any real hard evidence that your economics arguments will win the day, none of us on this forum/thread know what these companies have planned/are planning do we? Yes, we all read the various articles that we see online, you, like everyone else is relying on what we hear/read etc from items on TV or the web, OB is supplying articles that he has found on varoius websites which seem to support his views as to where we are heading as far as streaming and linear tv is concerned, and how we watch it, but you continually dismiss this, so can I ask you to supply us with evidence to the contrary that the various articles supplied by OB will not happen?
It’s easy to find opinion pieces, blogs, etc that aren’t credible sources.

I continue to dismiss the idea that the number of television channels reduces to zero, quickly, because it’s a ridiculous assertion. It’s down there with a human being achieving flight by flapping his or her arms.

Old Boy himself, on the V6 thread, broadly accepts broadband infrastructure off the Virgin network to be inadequate to support an entirely streaming situation.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:45   #995
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
It’s easy to find opinion pieces, blogs, etc that aren’t credible sources.

I continue to dismiss the idea that the number of television channels reduces to zero, quickly, because it’s a ridiculous assertion. It’s down there with a human being achieving flight by flapping his or her arms.

Old Boy himself, on the V6 thread, broadly accepts broadband infrastructure off the Virgin network to be inadequate to support an entirely streaming situation.

I agree that the broadband infrastructure in the UK is inadequate but I don't see that as supporting your argument. The whole country should have fast broadband speeds in a few years. As I've said previously, the BBC is planning for a non-linear scheduled TV environment after the next licence fee review.

But I expect you know better than them. They really should have consulted you in the first place.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:06   #996
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
[/B]

I agree that the broadband infrastructure in the UK is inadequate but I don't see that as supporting your argument. The whole country should have fast broadband speeds in a few years. As I've said previously, the BBC is planning for a non-linear scheduled TV environment after the next licence fee review.

But I expect you know better than them. They really should have consulted you in the first place.
The BBC planning for something and actually doing something is two separate things. You continue to clutch at that one ignoring ITV, Channel 4, Sky (those that rely on viewers/subscribers and not the tv tax) have announced no such plans.

Also the whole country won’t have adequate broadband in “a few years” - even the ISPs themselves have wrote to the PM outlining the massive task it’d be to achieve this by 2025, let alone 2033.

All the while linear television, terrestrial and satellite, continues to beam glorious high definition pictures universally and people continue to watch despite having the option of on demand options.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:19   #997
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
[/B]

Should means absolutely diddly squat as the proof is in the pudding and thus so far that pudding is still gathering dust on the shelves.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:27   #998
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Should means absolutely diddly squat as the proof is in the pudding and thus so far that pudding is still gathering dust on the shelves.
Even if they did, he ignores that with DVR and catch up for many they’ve had the option of reducing how much linear TV they watch to nil for nearly fifteen years. It hasn’t happened on the massive scale that would be required which brings me back to why will streaming cause it?
Old 04-08-2019, 13:28   #999
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
[/B]

Ireland have already started the ball rolling i believe with a broadcast tax rather than tv licence, the broadcast fee is for devices so even if you don't watch live tv/record or use iplayer you still need to pay it.
I think UK will follow suite.
Old 04-08-2019, 13:45   #1000
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Doubt Openreach would agree.

Quote:
We recently raised our target for full fibre FTTP connections from three to four million premises by March 2021, with an ambition to reach 15 million homes and businesses by the mid-2020s if the right investment conditions are in place.

We are currently making FTTP available to more than 20,000 new homes and businesses every week across the UK.
Old 04-08-2019, 13:51   #1001
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Doubt Openreach would agree.
Plenty of ifs , buts and maybes in that statement pip.
Old 04-08-2019, 13:58   #1002
jfman
Architect of Ideas

If the right investment conditions are in place.
Old 04-08-2019, 19:04   #1003
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
with an ambition to reach 15 million homes and businesses by the mid-2020s
So basically half the UK. Probably the same half that already have fast broadband.
Old 04-08-2019, 19:22   #1004
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
So basically half the UK. Probably the same half that already have fast broadband.
I am sure you are correct.
Old 04-08-2019, 19:41   #1005
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I'm sure you're right.

Quote:
The 36 new locations are as follows:

Antrim

Barry

Bathgate

Ballyclare

Ballymoney

Ballynahinch

Banbridge

Broxburn

Broadstairs