Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 17-06-2019, 19:44   #1021
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Your Sky Atlantic conclusion isn’t reasonable on the basis of the information provided.
Well, we will see, won't we?

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Seeing the contract was up in May l would say its pretty unlikely that Sky Atlantic is coming our way but OB might think differently.
You seem to forget that Sky Atlantic is being made available to BT from this summer, by way of the Now TV app.

The fact that May has come and gone is irrelevant. The deal has most likely already been done. It's just the formal announcement we are waiting for now. That will come either later this month or next.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2019, 20:08   #1022
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

You seem to forget that Sky Atlantic is being made available to BT from this summer, by way of the Now TV app.
That means diddly squat OB..

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

The fact that May has come and gone is irrelevant. The deal has most likely already been done. It's just the formal announcement we are waiting for now. That will come either later this month or next.
Okay then......
Old 17-06-2019, 20:12   #1023
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I don’t know how you conclude the fact May has come and gone as irrelevant, it suggests (if a deal isn’t concluded) that there’s the possibility of something snagging. Like a valuation of key content, like Sky Atlantic for example.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 20:30   #1024
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don’t know how you conclude the fact May has come and gone as irrelevant, it suggests (if a deal isn’t concluded) that there’s the possibility of something snagging. Like a valuation of key content, like Sky Atlantic for example.
Except that the May 2014 deal was implemented in July 2014. Must you argue about everything?

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That means diddly squat OB..
It's all part of the context, Den.
Old 17-06-2019, 20:50   #1025
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

If you are inferring conclusions that cannot be substantiated - yes it's very likely that I'll return.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...6&postcount=47

Despite having the content until 2011 the extension at that point was agreed in June 2010 as part of the sale of VMTV channels.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010...ter-vmtv-sale/

I'm not convinced Sky/Virgin are sitting at the last minute trying to extend the content agreement if there's broad agreement in place - e.g. Sky Atlantic being part of the offer. There'd be no reason not to announce it now.
Old 17-06-2019, 20:53   #1026
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

surely VM trying to get SA and sky UHD we see what happens
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 21:11   #1027
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
surely VM trying to get SA and sky UHD we see what happens
I'd imagine they would, but Old Boy in another thread has Sky/Comcast under existential threat from rivals. I fail to see how expediting that process by making key content available on Virgin who are about to roll out 500MB to 13 million homes is a plan.
Old 17-06-2019, 21:25   #1028
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I'm not convinced Sky/Virgin are sitting at the last minute trying to extend the content agreement if there's broad agreement in place - e.g. Sky Atlantic being part of the offer. There'd be no reason not to announce it now.
A possible reason for not announcing it in May would be so Sky can take all the "glory" at the end of Game Of Thrones, for them to soak it up and enjoy it. If they give VM Sky Atlantic the moment GoT ends it makes Sky look bad to the public (maybe a bit petty) and it arguably makes it look like Sky don't hold the rest of their SA lineup in as high regard. If they hold off a month or 3 it just looks like an everyday business decision.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 21:52   #1029
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I’d imagine the number of subscriptions moving around in the last few weeks due to GoT to be infinitely small. It’s only been on for eight years. I know nobody who started watching this year.

“Everyday business decisions” would be GoT going on when it’s too late if that was deemed key content.
Old 17-06-2019, 23:20   #1030
Unknownguy
Inactive

Unknownguy is an unknown quantity at this point
It's all just a waiting game and speculation after speculation. To state the obvious, let's just wait and see. I would like to see Sky Atlantic personally. Also apparently, Amazon Prime day has been speculated as mid July. Maybe the app will launch on VM by then!
Unknownguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 23:30   #1031
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

The appearence of the Now TV app on BT has kept being put back and someone who works in the industry has advised that no date of implementation is currently in force. Apparently, this is due to both sides needing to agree on the finer details.

Perhaps this is connected to any agreement with VM and could explain any delay??
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 23:32   #1032
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I’d imagine the number of subscriptions moving around in the last few weeks due to GoT to be infinitely small. It’s only been on for eight years. I know nobody who started watching this year.

“Everyday business decisions” would be GoT going on when it’s too late if that was deemed key content.
I wasn't suggesting it was anything to do with subscriptions moving around. I was saying it was an exercise in managing how it looks to the public, and also spreading out their public announcements/press releases, they may prefer the way an even spread of announcements is perceived by the public and business community to a splurge and then nothing.
Old 18-06-2019, 05:13   #1033
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Public perception doesn’t really come in to maximising shareholder value. A major TV series coming to the end of an 8 year run isn’t really going to factor into it. Nobody would change subscription service as a result of Sky being perceived to be petty or otherwise. It didn’t hurt Sky in 2007.
Old 18-06-2019, 08:02   #1034
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I'd imagine they would, but Old Boy in another thread has Sky/Comcast under existential threat from rivals. I fail to see how expediting that process by making key content available on Virgin who are about to roll out 500MB to 13 million homes is a plan.
I'm not sure what post you are referring to here. It is true that I have said in the past that Sky is under threat from the global players, but now that Comcast have taken over, this has diminished somewhat.

I have also criticised Sky for the lack of original content and I have said that with new streaming services being set up such as Disney+, a lot of the programmes it currently screens will migrate to those services. Whole channels, such as Sky Cinema Disney, the Disney Channel and Disney XD are under threat by that one new streaming service.

The Comcast takeover is a help to Sky because it has a library of its own, but I don't think they should be too laid back about that situation. This is a rapidly changing market.

As far as Sky making additional content available to other platforms, they have already agreed a deal with BT, so your argument falls by that one fact. Remember, Sky have said that they wish to monetise their assets. My guess is that the BT and Sky deals will become effective on the same day.

---------- Post added at 07:02 ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 ----------

Quote:
If you are inferring conclusions that cannot be substantiated - yes it's very likely that I'll return.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...6&postcount=47

Despite having the content until 2011 the extension at that point was agreed in June 2010 as part of the sale of VMTV channels.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010...ter-vmtv-sale/

I have quoted reasons for my assessment of the situation. It is simply my assessment, based on limited facts. I have made that very clear.

If you are one of those people who insist on clear announcements about what is coming soon to Virgin Media, then think again. VM never seem to make most of their announcements very far in advance - the Prime announcement was very much an exception. If you want that degree of certainty, go to the VM press release site, but you won't find much on there to help you. If that's all that went on this thread, it would only be a few pages long!

You are not in a position to say why there has been no announcement yet. There you are, I've just done a jfman.
Old 18-06-2019, 10:43   #1035
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Public perception doesn’t really come in to maximising shareholder value. A major TV series coming to the end of an 8 year run isn’t really going to factor into it. Nobody would change subscription service as a result of Sky being perceived to be petty or otherwise. It didn’t hurt Sky in 2007.
I said it wasn't about changing subscription service or one particular series. Most companies want to look good, some put a lot of effort into managing their image. Often it can be because they have a virtual monopoly of their market. Even if it doesn't pay immediate rewards a good company image may have long term benefits. Some actions can have a cumulative effect.

Some people don't use the services of certain businesses because they don't like something about them. Whether they are too big, environmental credentials, who owns the company. Many, for instance, may not now have a problem with Sky due to its change of ownership. Sky values its image, why else do that Sky Ocean Rescue thing, or fund a cycling team despite never showing the sport on their own sports channels?

I haven't been in Asda since Walmart bought them. I have avoided other companies because I didn't like their business practices, some of those companies later changed and I returned. So it's not nobody. I'm not saying it's a large percentage, but it can be a significant minority who think about stuff like that. And if you are trying to maximise your assets you want to at least try to attract everybody.

Timing of information release is as important as the information itself, e.g. there's the burying of certain news on a bad news day so that it won't be paid attention to. I'm not saying this is that, just that it's an example of timing being important.

So in the grand scheme of things, I can see a company spreading out good news press releases, it's a low effort strategy, it allows each piece of good news to be recognised rather than buried in a wave of information.

This might not be happening, I could be wrong, it's just a possibility, a suggestion.