Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Folding bikes, bags & buses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Folding bikes, bags & buses

Old 09-06-2019, 12:54   #1
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Angry Folding bikes, bags & buses

To explain:

Recently I got tired of the 0.6 mile walk between the bus stop and my workplace, so I bought a folding bike. Problem solved...or so I thought. Last night some moron (the forum won't let me call him what he deserves!) of a driver refused to let me board because the bike wasn't in a canvas bag. What the hell difference that makes I can't imagine. I thought how good he might look in a bag...one of those that comes only in black and zips up!

Thanks to this worthless jobsworth I was nearly late for work - plus walking is rather painful for me at the moment since I was recently in an RTA (definitely not my fault, before anyone asks!) and suffered bruising plus a twisted knee and hip. But I had to walk between bus stop and work because I couldn't take the chance that the next driver wouldn't be as awkward as that one, and therefore I had to leave the folding bike behind. Otherwise I'd have had to wait another 1/2 hour, which would definitely have made me late.

Now to the point. I've looked at bags on Amazon, but they all seem to be designed for bikes whose handlebars fold up as well...and the ones on my bike don't. Is there any way I could get it adapted so they do? Hell, if I could figure a way to do it I'd damn well do it myself - I can use tools with the best of 'em!

Last edited by Anonymouse; 09-06-2019 at 13:02.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2019, 14:10   #2
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Folding bikes, bags & buses

Mud & Oil(from the chain).
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 14:13   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Can you not unscrew the handle bars with a spanner and pull out of the forks and drop them in the bag longways?

Or maybe see if you can get hold of some folding bars that fit for bike.
Old 09-06-2019, 14:28   #4
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Link
Quote:
Can I take my bike on the bus?
In some areas, you can take your bike on the bus. Please contact the local
team in your area and they'll be happy to advise. However, if your bike folds
up, can be stored in a suitable bag or box, can fit within the luggage pen
on the bus, and you can lift it in and out yourself, it can be brought on at the driver's discretion.
Old 09-06-2019, 18:34   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Quote:
at the driver's discretion.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 18:45   #6
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Subject to the 4 preceding conditions.
Quote:
Recently I got tired of the 0.6 mile walk between the bus stop and my workplace, so I bought a folding bike. Problem solved...or so I thought. Last night some moron (the forum won't let me call him what he deserves!) of a driver refused to let me board because the bike wasn't in a canvas bag.
Old 09-06-2019, 18:49   #7
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Subject to the 4 preceding conditions.
Therefore at the driver's discretion.
Old 09-06-2019, 19:57   #8
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Thanks, all - I'll look into various options.
Old 09-06-2019, 20:55   #9
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Therefore at the driver's discretion.
The driver's discretion only comes into play, if the other 4 conditions are satisfied.
Old 09-06-2019, 22:32   #10
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
The driver's discretion only comes into play, if the other 4 conditions are satisfied.
Nope. The drivers discretion comes into it first. It is his decision, no one elses. No legislation can force a driver to carry a load he is not happy with either!
Old 09-06-2019, 22:51   #11
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Now I wonder if that applies to mobility scooters?
Old 09-06-2019, 23:10   #12
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Now I wonder if that applies to mobility scooters?
It applies to anything. The driver cannot be forced to carry anything.

The driver is responsible for anything carried. If he don't like it, he don't carry it.
Old 09-06-2019, 23:15   #13
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Nope. The drivers discretion comes into it first. It is his decision, no one elses. No legislation can force a driver to carry a load he is not happy with either!
The discretion part of the rule is preceded by 4 conditions.
Old 09-06-2019, 23:34   #14
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
It applies to anything. The driver cannot be forced to carry anything.

The driver is responsible for anything carried. If he don't like it, he don't carry it.
Kind of knocks hell out of the Disability Discrimination Act then.
Old 11-06-2019, 15:04   #15
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

The problem should be solved soon - it turns out you can buy replacement stems that fold up, so I've ordered one, plus a bag. Sorted - I hope!