Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 23-04-2019, 15:30   #5161
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Yes it does and amazon channels
Thanks Chad can you actually purchase a movie through it as well.
Advertisement
Old 23-04-2019, 15:31   #5162
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I can see two reasons, one for each side, why Netflix would be quicker on both.

Firstly, I have a low-end model Smart TV from between 1 and 2 years old. The remote that came with said TV has a dedicated Netflix button. So, in theory, I'd imagine that would be the quickest method.

However. 99% of the time the only remote that gets used is the V6/Tivo remote. I use the physical button on the TV to switch it on, and off when I'm finished, and the V6 remote is all I need the rest of the time. The remote that came bundled with the TV only gets used when I need to switch video sources for gaming or a DVD. So if I wanted to use the TV's Netflix app I'd have to stand up, walk across the room, pick it up, return to me seat, and that takes time.

Ever since I got Pay TV the bundled remote controls just sit there unused. Even most of the Freeview/Freesat screens in the house use remotes other than the TV-bundled remote.

I put the main TV on roughly the same time as I bring the V6 out of standby. The time the V6 takes to get out of standby is minimal. So for me I don't see why the V6 would be off and that time doesn't get factored into the equation for me.

Everyone's set-up is different though.
Old 23-04-2019, 15:32   #5163
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Why would i want to have it powered on fully when i am not using it, that is pointless and costs money? lol

Besides it is still far easier to access the app on the my TV than on a V6 so that point is mute.
Well, if you leave it powered on, it will be easily accessible. I don't think the money spent in powering the V6 is going to make a noticeable difference to my power bill, to be honest.

Anyway, each to his own I suppose.
Old 23-04-2019, 15:38   #5164
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I can see two reasons, one for each side, why Netflix would be quicker on both.

Firstly, I have a low-end model Smart TV from between 1 and 2 years old. The remote that came with said TV has a dedicated Netflix button. So, in theory, I'd imagine that would be the quickest method.

However. 99% of the time the only remote that gets used is the V6/Tivo remote. I use the physical button on the TV to switch it on, and off when I'm finished, and the V6 remote is all I need the rest of the time. The remote that came bundled with the TV only gets used when I need to switch video sources for gaming or a DVD. So if I wanted to use the TV's Netflix app I'd have to stand up, walk across the room, pick it up, return to me seat, and that takes time.

Ever since I got Pay TV the bundled remote controls just sit there unused. Even most of the Freeview/Freesat screens in the house use remotes other than the TV-bundled remote.

I put the main TV on roughly the same time as I bring the V6 out of standby. The time the V6 takes to get out of standby is minimal. So for me I don't see why the V6 would be off and that time doesn't get factored into the equation for me.

Everyone's set-up is different though.
You maybe able to setup the V6 to turn your TV on and off and change sources.

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, if you leave it powered on, it will be easily accessible. I don't think the money spent in powering the V6 is going to make a noticeable difference to my power bill, to be honest.

Anyway, each to his own I suppose.
Not as quick as from my TV and i would rather the estimated £30 saving from leaving it off stays in my bank account.
Old 23-04-2019, 15:40   #5165
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I suppose a "quick click" is out of the question?
Old 23-04-2019, 16:00   #5166
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Not as quick as from my TV and i would rather the estimated £30 saving from leaving it off stays in my bank account.
If the V6 was able to switch the TV "on" then it wasn't properly off. Unless I have to press a physical button the TV is in standby as far as I'm concerned. I don't like leaving electricals in standby unless there is some good reason.

Our V6 gets left in standby as we fairly regularly record at all sorts of times of day/night, and booting the V6 from off takes 3-5 minutes (a guess), whereas even in super eco low power mode it comes on extremely quickly.
Old 23-04-2019, 16:38   #5167
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:

Would you really save £30 by having it switched off? Surely having to boot it up every day would cost quite a bit too?
Old 23-04-2019, 17:42   #5168
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
It’s currently a single button press on my TV’s remote to access the Amazon app but when it comes to V6 it will hopefully be integrated into series link so a single press from My Shows to get to a program.
Yep thats why its going to be very good on the v6. very quick and more importantly built into the tivo search so you can go straight into programs rather than clicking about on your tv remote going through pages to find a show.

Much better! Much faster than tv!
Old 23-04-2019, 17:55   #5169
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Yep thats why its going to be very good on the v6. very quick and more importantly built into the tivo search so you can go straight into programs rather than clicking about on your tv remote going through pages to find a show.

Much better! Much faster than tv!
The search facility is a great option as we use it all the time.
Old 23-04-2019, 18:17   #5170
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Would you really save £30 by having it switched off? Surely having to boot it up every day would cost quite a bit too?
Well it would be in standby and not fully on, i can't see the point on leaving it on fully if not being used, just the same as someone wouldn't leave all the lights on in their house 24/7.

We're kind of off topic now but i was just saying it is far easier to currently access any TV app from my TV, but if there are other benefits of using it from the TV like Search then that may be a good thing.
Old 23-04-2019, 18:34   #5171
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

More to the question why would you leave the box on if your not using it ? I agree with SnoopZ our box always goes into standby when we are not watching.
Old 23-04-2019, 18:52   #5172
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
More to the question why would you leave the box on if your not using it ? I agree with SnoopZ our box always goes into standby when we are not watching.
The wording SnoopZ used earlier in the discussion thread gave the impression they switched the box off at the wall rather than leaving it in standby. I think several of us understood it as that and so responded accordingly.

When someone says they switch something off I assume they don't mean standby, as that isn't off, it needs power to run the systems to respond to the remote.

V6s don't have an off button, except for the wall plug.

I agree you shouldn't leave things on if you aren't using them. If you forget most TVs and set-top boxes will separately switch themselves into standby if you l leave them for a set period (it's often 4 hours without input).
Old 23-04-2019, 19:04   #5173
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Apologies for any confusion caused as when i normally say off i mean into Standby with Tvs and Boxes.
Old 23-04-2019, 19:11   #5174
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post

V6s don't have an off button, except for the wall plug.
V6 does have an off button - rocker switch, back, lower left.
Old 23-04-2019, 19:22   #5175
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
V6 does have an off button - rocker switch, back, lower left.
I completely forgot about that.

Not seen it since I self-installed.

Because of the way PVRs work, the time the Tivo and V6 take to boot up and the TV habits of this household it's one of few electronic devices I'm fine will leaving in standby.
Closed Thread