Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit
Closed Thread

Old 18-04-2019, 22:44   #1711
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

David Davis is certainly one famous leaver who didn't know what he was voting for!
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2019, 23:02   #1712
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
All irrelevant. Davis is no longer Brexit secretary and Brexit has not occurred yet. You (And others) really need to stop this petty arguing all the time Hugh, and this constant "I have prove they're wrong" via a google search mentality, getting sick of it to be frank.

In other news - I'm pondering that we should have a nice break from all this repetitive Groundhog day nonsense, day in, day out, that goes on in this thread and I will be closing this thread at some point, probably after midnight tonight, until Tuesday morning, so we can have a nice Easter break from Brexit chatter. The weather is going to be lovely.
Old 18-04-2019, 23:49   #1713
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
All irrelevant. Davis is no longer Brexit secretary and Brexit has not occurred yet. You (And others) really need to stop this petty arguing all the time Hugh, and this constant "I have prove they're wrong" via a google search mentality, getting sick of it to be frank.

In other news - I'm pondering that we should have a nice break from all this repetitive Groundhog day nonsense, day in, day out, that goes on in this thread and I will be closing this thread at some point, probably after midnight tonight, until Tuesday morning, so we can have a nice Easter break from Brexit chatter. The weather is going to be lovely.
And let me be the first to wish you, and everyone on the thread, a Happy Easter. The world won’t move on between now and then, bar some opinion pieces. I’m sure we will equally disagree next week anyway!
Old 19-04-2019, 00:06   #1714
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
wrong again he has no idea how it worked

David Davis

Verified account

@DavidDavisMP
Follow
Follow @DavidDavisMP

More
The first calling point of the UK's negotiator immediately after #Brexit will not be Brussels, it will be Berlin, to strike a deal

10:50 AM - 26 May 2016
FFS just rhetoric.

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

Fair enough, can’t argue with that.

but I didn’t see any of those tweets as i’m Not on Twitter ( and it would seem I knew more about the rules of Brexit than the Brexit secretary) I also don’t recall hearing any of that that from him on mainstream media so I don’t know how much that would have influenced the great unwashed ignorant swath of the population who were duped into voting leave.

---------- Post added at 23:05 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
David Davis is certainly one famous leaver who didn't know what he was voting for!
Looks that way.

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

I’ll vote for that.

Might as well close it until October 30th as sod all will change between now and then.
Old 23-04-2019, 01:46   #1715
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

After a bit of a break-Thread Re-Opened. As we were....
Old 23-04-2019, 06:29   #1716
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Aww but it was so peaceful....
Old 23-04-2019, 08:48   #1717
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://news.sky.com/story/technolog...ument-11696337

Quote:
Technological solution to Irish border issue could be a decade away, says Home Office document

A Home Office presentation says a solution which would keep the border open without checkpoints is a distant prospect.

The possibility of a technological solution to the Brexit Northern Ireland border issue could be more than a decade away, according to a Home Office document seen by Sky News.

A presentation drawn up by the Home Secretary's Policy Unit and sent to HMRC and the Treasury implies that they think a technological solution - which would aim to keep the Irish border entirely open and without physical checkpoints - is a distant (and likely very expensive) prospect.

The authors state that the technology would likely not be ready to be deployed in the UK until 2030...

...The report does come up with a solution, albeit a highly complicated one.

It involves companies uploading data into a digital portal, using new blockchain technology, sensors and "Internet of things technology" along the route, "machine learning" and automated revenue collection.

"If all these technologies are brought together this could allow a seamless collection and analysis of the data needed," the presentation says. "It would also provide the ability to target interventions away from the border itself."

However, the presentation's authors acknowledge that the practical execution of such technology would be far from seamless.

They say that "no government worldwide currently controls different customs arrangements with no physical infrastructure at the border."

They believe that "technology does already exist that could be used at the border to the desired effect" but also highlights five grave practical problems in terms of actually deploying it. They are:

:: The system "must operate with 28 government agencies and a myriad of interconnected existing and planned IT systems".
:: "There is currently no budget for either a pilot or the programme itself. And it will be expensive."
:: "The suite of technology would need to operate on both sides of the border, as such it would require agreement and commitment from Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and the EU too."
:: "It is a big and complex project, with possibly tight deadlines. Government does not have the strongest track record on delivery of large tech projects."
:: And crucially - "Current realisation for a similar technological solution in the UK is 2030."
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 23-04-2019, 09:10   #1718
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
It involves companies uploading data into a digital portal, using new blockchain technology, sensors and "Internet of things technology" along the route, "machine learning" and automated revenue collection.
Buzzword bingo!
Old 23-04-2019, 10:16   #1719
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Buzzword bingo!
Beware of geeks sharing lifts...
Old 23-04-2019, 10:20   #1720
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

How on earth do we or anybody else, currently manage imports from other countries without all that? Yet another Remain tactic. Any procedures set in place would also have to be in place in the rest of the EU AND possibly any other country that has a customs union with the EU.
Old 23-04-2019, 10:21   #1721
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Here’s the (very) high level slide pack...
Old 23-04-2019, 10:22   #1722
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Last two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 18C3F8A5-9485-459F-B71E-96149A94FA56.jpeg (93.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg AA75D4FA-14E8-427A-BE4C-C218CAD295DE.jpeg (80.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 23-04-2019, 10:40   #1723
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Looks like a massive money 'sink hole' to me, simply to check goods going in/out on the border between North/South.
Old 23-04-2019, 10:56   #1724
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Seems to me that if we go down that route, we should start straight away with a target of 10 years to leave a Customs Union.

I fully understand how complex this will be and that 10 years might be overshot. The system would have to be capable of adapting to new rules that might come out from time to time.

If the EU wants to be difficult, it could easily thwart this on the basis of who pays, who does it and being 'scared' of the complexities.

You could come at it from a reverse direction. Leave with No Deal; collect all the Customs use cases that ensue and design the initial system (for 10 years on!) accordingly.

All depends, of course, on EU cooperation and their behaviour to date suggests further difficulties.

So the choices are, it's Remain or Leave with no deal. As you know, I don't care whether or not we remain (I prefer to leave), but if we do remain, we must keep prodding them with our picador sticks.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 23-04-2019, 11:11   #1725
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

What do we think of the Brexit Party picking up some pace?
Closed Thread