Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 27-03-2019, 20:55   #511
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
what is adsmart and is the partnership with sky and virgin a good sign or just being greedy?
l think it will be good for both of them Vince.

Quote:
Sky AdSmart is the revolutionary approach to TV advertising which levels the playing field, so businesses of all shapes and sizes can benefit from the advertising impact of TV. With Sky AdSmart different ads can be shown to different households watching the same programme. This means brands and businesses can now advertise on national channels, but to relevant audiences.

Quote:
Advertisers are able to cherry-pick their audiences using thousands of combinations from age, location or life style. All this means the power of TV can now be used to greater effect by existing advertisers, whilst becoming accessible for the first time to niche brands, small & medium-sized businesses (SMEs) and location-specific advertisers.
Old 27-03-2019, 20:58   #512
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

So does that mean ITV which make money on adverts will lose some of it as virgin media and sky take a piece of the pie or am i misreading this?
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 21:44   #513
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
So does that mean ITV which make money on adverts will lose some of it as virgin media and sky take a piece of the pie or am i misreading this?
It's only on channels that Sky acts as the sales house for.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 15:16   #514
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

I noticed on DigtalBitrate a UHD stream called InternalF

Usually Internal followed by a letter is the start of the name of the channel

Maybe a chance it could be Stingray Digital channel ‘Festival 4k’ as Virgin already carry their Karaoke Channel on the red button music service

Or indeed it may be Fashion TV UHD

Only time will tell.
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 16:52   #515
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
I noticed on DigtalBitrate a UHD stream called InternalF

Usually Internal followed by a letter is the start of the name of the channel

Maybe a chance it could be Stingray Digital channel ‘Festival 4k’ as Virgin already carry their Karaoke Channel on the red button music service

Or indeed it may be Fashion TV UHD

Only time will tell.
InternalF has been on DigitalBitrate for months as far as we know of.

---------- Post added at 15:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

But We have found that Total Channels did go up by one on Thursday Night.

And we have just seen that an new Horror Channel +1 has been added to C034
DVBC TSid 11:

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...ng=en&mux=C034
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 17:03   #516
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The thing about the letters isn’t accurate. As an aside Internal F is the Virgin UHD channel. It links to the same audio and video PID.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 18:54   #517
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The thing about the letters isn’t accurate. As an aside Internal F is the Virgin UHD channel. It links to the same audio and video PID.
Given there is a separate and correctly labelled VM UHD showing on DigitalBitRate, could this just be a test to see how a UHD stream handles on the multiplex InternalF is on?
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 19:19   #518
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Given there is a separate and correctly labelled VM UHD showing on DigitalBitRate, could this just be a test to see how a UHD stream handles on the multiplex InternalF is on?
It’s on the same frequency, so it’s just another version of the same stream.
Old 31-03-2019, 19:31   #519
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s on the same frequency, so it’s just another version of the same stream.
So it's pointing to the same place rather than being a copy transmission on the same frequency? If it were the latter it could be load stress test of sorts. I can't see the point if it's simply a pointer.
Old 31-03-2019, 21:21   #520
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
So it's pointing to the same place rather than being a copy transmission on the same frequency? If it were the latter it could be load stress test of sorts. I can't see the point if it's simply a pointer.
It’s been there since before the channel launched in the EPG. So probably just a lack of housekeeping in the NAT.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:58   #521
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

There's a whole bunch of "New" channels on C062 and C063 (see DigitalBitRate). There's 9 on each.
I think they are all part of a group of transitions to MPEG4 rather than actual new channels, one of the ones I checked was Crime+Inv SD, and the labelled version is still MPEG2 and on a different frequency.

Additional: I checked a few others, there's a Film4, CNN, History 1 & 2 , Nat Geo and Cartoon Network.

Additional additional: Most are 544x576 resolution.

Additional x3: I just noticed thst most of the ones I mentioned are on C055 in MPEG2. VM are clearly updating the whole of the C055 frequency/multiplex to MPEG4 but doing so by moving them all on to a different frequency/multiplex.

And the other channels I noticed seem to be from C067.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 01-04-2019 at 12:21.
Old 01-04-2019, 16:19   #522
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Channel Guide for April now available:

Desktop: https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...1April2019.pdf
Mobile: https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...1April2019.pdf

Total Country TV on channel 348 is still missing.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 15:56   #523
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
There's a whole bunch of "New" channels on C062 and C063 (see DigitalBitRate). There's 9 on each.
I think they are all part of a group of transitions to MPEG4 rather than actual new channels, one of the ones I checked was Crime+Inv SD, and the labelled version is still MPEG2 and on a different frequency.

Additional: I checked a few others, there's a Film4, CNN, History 1 & 2 , Nat Geo and Cartoon Network.

Additional additional: Most are 544x576 resolution.

Additional x3: I just noticed thst most of the ones I mentioned are on C055 in MPEG2. VM are clearly updating the whole of the C055 frequency/multiplex to MPEG4 but doing so by moving them all on to a different frequency/multiplex.

And the other channels I noticed seem to be from C067.
An update on the quoted above.

7 of the "New" Sans Nom on C062 have now got names (Nat Geo, NG+1, Nat Geo WILD, History, H+1, History 2 and Crime+Inv) , the channels being those I noticed from the other frequency/multiplex C067. So that's those switched to MPEG4 now...I double checked via the Diagnostics menu they were now H264 video. There are 3 "New" Sans Nom left on C062, and those 9 on C063 are still there and not yet switched over either, so those C055 channels have yet to be switched.

There's also a new "New" Sans Nom on C031. This is Cartoon Network +1 in MPEG4.

So there's going to be a lot of channels that need to be re-favourited after all these switches. It's an annoying side effect of the MPEG4 switching.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:17   #524
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

5 channels switched over to MPEG4 overnight.

MUTV, Sky Sports F1 and Sky Witness have replaced the remaining 3 "New Sans Nom" on C062.

On C063, Channel 4 Audio Description and Boomerang have appeared in MPEG4 replacing 2 of the "New Sans Nom".

Additional: I thought Sky One had changed already. For whatever reason it disappeared from my Favourites like the other MPEG4 switched channels. Maybe it moved mutliplex, or I was mistaken about it being switched already.

Yup, Sky One is showing in 5 places. Discounting the HD channel, that's 2 on C055 and 2 on C063, one being MPEG2 and one MPEG4 on each. So it's moving position on the network (not the EPG, just so you don't misunderstand me) at the very least.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 03-04-2019 at 10:36.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:49   #525
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

So just in layman's terms, what does all this moving about channels from mpeg-2 to mpeg-4 actually mean to the normie average Joe viewer?
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote