Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Intelligent Wi fi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Intelligent Wi fi

Old 12-03-2019, 13:41   #1
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

Services: vm bbl.tvxl
figgyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to behold
Intelligent Wi fi

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/vi...to-three-times

Anything to get excited about here?.
figgyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2019, 13:47   #2
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Intelligent Wi fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgyburn View Post
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/vi...to-three-times

Anything to get excited about here?.
Only about the demand I don't use an ad blocker..
Old 12-03-2019, 14:16   #3
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Only about the demand I don't use an ad blocker..
Yeah I get that a lot, mouse pointer usually then goes to the red X at top right
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 11:25   #4
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

They talk about lots of users on the same channel and that the Hub 3 will steer clear of such channels. However, if you have several people in the house on the same channel, then the only hope is to allocate them between 5GHz and 2.4GHz, in which case you then get on the merry go round with your neighbours. The 5GHz band in the lower frequency range gets quite crowded although it is less likely that you will get significant neighbour interference on that range.

When the channels hop in vitro, there will be a glitch would would annoy you if you were in the middle of something.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 13:38   #5
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
They talk about lots of users on the same channel and that the Hub 3 will steer clear of such channels. However, if you have several people in the house on the same channel, then the only hope is to allocate them between 5GHz and 2.4GHz, in which case you then get on the merry go round with your neighbours. The 5GHz band in the lower frequency range gets quite crowded although it is less likely that you will get significant neighbour interference on that range.

When the channels hop in vitro, there will be a glitch would would annoy you if you were in the middle of something.

It doesn't seem to be very popular over on VM community forum, lots of people complaining about previously decent connections slowing down.
Is it just for hub 3 ?
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 13:41   #6
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Yes - it's just for Hub 3 and another VM gimmick of little practical value.

Old 15-03-2019, 13:44   #7
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Yes - it's just for Hub 3 and another VM gimmick of little practical value.

Cheers Seph...another reason to stick with my somewhat flawed but still useable shub 2
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 13:52   #8
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

The Android app is a waste of time says the settings password is wrong when I scanned the hub sticker as per the app instructions.

The hub might now be 'Intelligent' but the app is far from it
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 14:06   #9
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
The Android app is a waste of time says the settings password is wrong when I scanned the hub sticker as per the app instructions.

The hub might now be 'Intelligent' but the app is far from it
If you have changed the hub password use that instead.
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 16:57   #10
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007stuart View Post
If you have changed the hub password use that instead.
It's the number password which I haven't changed everything is still default
Old 16-03-2019, 10:49   #11
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Looking at the official VM forum and eligible customers on the top packs are being charged £3 a month for a booster which should be free

So for the few people the app actually works for the system is incorrectly charging some
Old 17-03-2019, 11:18   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I bought a Asus Knighthawk X6, and get 220meg easily over Wi-Fi on my Note 8 and Tab S4.
Old 17-03-2019, 12:14   #13
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I bought a Asus Knighthawk X6, and get 220meg easily over Wi-Fi on my Note 8 and Tab S4.
I have a Hub 3.0 in Router Mode with Intelligent WiFi turned on and easily get 220Mb on my 200Mb service on my iPad.

At least for me, there’s no need to go for the extra expense of an additional router.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 13:58   #14
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I have a Hub 3.0 in Router Mode with Intelligent WiFi turned on and easily get 220Mb on my 200Mb service on my iPad.

At least for me, there’s no need to go for the extra expense of an additional router.
There’s no reason why you shouldn’t get 200+ meg with IW turned on. What would be interesting to hear from you is what happens when you roam your house whilst doing stuff on WiFi.

Old 17-03-2019, 15:22   #15
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
There’s no reason why you shouldn’t get 200+ meg with IW turned on. What would be interesting to hear from you is what happens when you roam your house whilst doing stuff on WiFi.

No issue as all my devices, except an old Chromecast, are 5GHz. The Chromecast is, of course, static.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote