Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 12-02-2019, 18:14   #271
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
So effectively, linear channels disappear and are replaced with a menu of streaming options. Don't see the point in that personally.

I think you underestimate the number of technophobes, like your wife, who just like to switch on the to and look at the EPG to see what is currently on.

It has reminded me of a friend who told me his father wouldn't even use the recording facilities on sky - he continued to use his vhs recorder because that was what he knew!

As I have said before, I don't believe the 'super fast broadband is just round the corner' propaganda - the vast majority of the country will still be waiting for it in 10-15 years time.
Even if it were just around the corner you still need to evolve consumer behaviour radically to make linear tv not commercially viable. It’s all the same companies pushing the same content at you in a slightly different way.

Hayu, cited above, is owned by NBCUniversal and we know where that web ends.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
And yet it's the landscape that the BBC is planning to address as part of its vision for what happens following the next licence fee review.
Like any public sector organisation vision and delivery are two different things.

Quote:
15 or so years is a long time and much can happen in that time. You've only got to look at how TV has changed since the old analogue days, which was pretty recent. We didn't even have VOD in those days!
14 years ago VOD launched and it’s biggest proponents NTL and Telewest sold that as the end of linear TV.

Quote:
Most people in work currently do not have problems with new technology. A person who retires this year will be 80 in 15 years' time. Besides which, if I am right, and satellite and cable services of the future have all the main streaming services integrated, they will be pretty user friendly by 2035, which is the date I've suggested by when the linear channels will be no more.
Those out of work? The disabled? People who just find the current EPG convenient?

Users who wanted to eliminate watching broadcast television altogether could through timeshifting on DVR or existing libraries of on demand content. To that extent streaming isn’t bringing anything new to the table, it’s just delivered using different technology from on demand.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2019, 18:47   #272
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Even if it were just around the corner you still need to evolve consumer behaviour radically to make linear tv not commercially viable. It’s all the same companies pushing the same content at you in a slightly different way.

Hayu, cited above, is owned by NBCUniversal and we know where that web ends.
Linear TV will cease to be viable when the income from advertising no longer supports it. I'm not sure what you mean with your Hayu comment.

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:35 ----------

Quote:

14 years ago VOD launched and it’s biggest proponents NTL and Telewest sold that as the end of linear TV.
They meant the beginning of the end. It takes a while to catch on, and of course the amount of on demand content was very limited until recently. Now it is becoming the preferred means of viewing in a fast growing number of households.

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Quote:

Those out of work? The disabled? People who just find the current EPG convenient?
I can't believe you said that! Are you saying that people out of work are incapable of understanding how digital TV works? I would say to you that most disabled people are capable of coping with the technology and most of those who cannot will have carers to help them.

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Quote:
Users who wanted to eliminate watching broadcast television altogether could through timeshifting on DVR or existing libraries of on demand content. To that extent streaming isn’t bringing anything new to the table, it’s just delivered using different technology from on demand.
Yes, they could, but you are ignoring the simple fact that the programmes accessible through the streaming services are becoming ever more popular, at the expense of the conventional TV channels.

I'm not sure why you keep making the point about just being delivered by different technology. We all know that, but the fact that this alternative means of delivery provides an amazing amount of good content seems to pass you by. It is better because it's there when you want it and there are no adverts. A massive positive for viewers compared with commercial ridden scheduled TV!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 19:03   #273
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Linear TV will cease to be viable when the income from advertising no longer supports it. I'm not sure what you mean with your Hayu comment.
I think it’s obvious what I mean with the Hayu comment. Anything that ends with Comcast isn’t radically changing any market beyond it’s own financial interest which is as one of the largest pay-tv operators in the world. Exactly the kind of content owner it’s costs next to nothing to maintain a linear presence.

Quote:
They meant the beginning of the end. It takes a while to catch on, and of course the amount of on demand content was very limited until recently. Now it is becoming the preferred means of viewing in a fast growing number of households.
The evidence doesn’t support that there’s many fundamentalists out there who exclusively use on demand or streaming.

Quote:
I can't believe you said that! Are you saying that people out of work are incapable of understanding how digital TV works? I would say to you that most disabled people are capable of coping with the technology and most of those who cannot will have carers to help them.
You said that people in work can cope with new technologies I was simply asking you about groups you chose to omit.

I’ve seen people in later stages in life with dementia who barely have the capability to switch a television on and press “up” through the limited number of channels until they settle on something.

So yes, I think it’s a perfectly valid question to ask if television is no longer delivered in this way (which I don’t accept it will anyway) how they will cope. It’s a far too simplistic assumption that someone in work today will retain that level of cognitive function throughout retirement with increasing life expectancy. It’s also far too much of an ask on their families to have someone there all the time (either through funding or giving up their own time).
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 19:37   #274
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Back on topic, please - we have a dedicated thread for on demand/streaming discussions.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 20:23   #275
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

RE: Smithsonian Channel

It's so good to see a channel launch at the same time on Virgin Media as Sky, Freeview and Freesat. It's been common for Virgin Media customers to be waiting ages for new channels to launch, often months or even years!
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 16:02   #276
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
RE: Smithsonian Channel

It's so good to see a channel launch at the same time on Virgin Media as Sky, Freeview and Freesat. It's been common for Virgin Media customers to be waiting ages for new channels to launch, often months or even years!
This is more down to the channel pushing their launch than anything VM have done. I notice the channel appeared in all the major TV listings mags last week as well, which is also not usual. They also pounced on the vacant COM7 Freeview HD slot they originally weren’t interested in only a few weeks ago.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 23:56   #277
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

More BBC channel swaps have just been announced:

From Tuesday 19th February:

BBC4 HD moves from 163 to 107

BBC News HD moves from 604 to 601

CBBC HD moves from 710 to 701

CBeebies HD moves from 711 to 702.

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...W7-fullhouse-A
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 18:31   #278
Chris James
cf.member

Chris James is an unknown quantity at this point

With the exception of regional opt-outs, is there any reason why Virgin cannot discontinue all the SD channels where there are HD alternatives? Seems like BBC4 and BBC News are following BBC2 in dropping the SD channel - Gold was the first to do it. That would free up a load of space!
Chris James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 19:20   #279
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
More BBC channel swaps have just been announced:

From Tuesday 19th February:

BBC4 HD moves from 163 to 107

BBC News HD moves from 604 to 601

CBBC HD moves from 710 to 701

CBeebies HD moves from 711 to 702.

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...W7-fullhouse-A
Also the BBC Scotland HD will be added to Virgin UK Scotland 162 by next Sunday.

In Scotland viewers will see the following by next Sunday:

102. BBC Two Scotland (Closes at 6am on Monday)

Later in the week:

BBC TWO HD will move from Virgin Channel 162 to Virgin Channel 102.
BBC Scotland HD will be added to Virgin Channel 108.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris James View Post
With the exception of regional opt-outs, is there any reason why Virgin cannot discontinue all the SD channels where there are HD alternatives? Seems like BBC4 and BBC News are following BBC2 in dropping the SD channel - Gold was the first to do it. That would free up a load of space!
We think it safe to say when deals are up we will see more SD Channels being axe but Channel 4 and Channel 5 AD Channels will not be axe.

We would love to know if Virgin will drop Channel 4 +1 for their HD Channel.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 19:47   #280
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris James View Post
One of the main reasons is they are often on different TV packages to the SD versions. E.g. Film4 HD is on Mix and above, standard Film4 is on every package.

I'd imagine there is extra revenue the broadcaster would be giving up, they'd have to decide whether the potential increase in viewers would make up for the lost revenue.

Also if too many channels switched their HD versions down to lower packages there would be less in the more expensive packages to justify the package's existence.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 20:19   #281
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

With Virgin doing "House keeping" Media Boy HQ think HISTORY HD may soon move from Channel 299 to Channel 272.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 11:17   #282
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
With Virgin doing "House keeping" Media Boy HQ think HISTORY HD may soon move from Channel 299 to Channel 272.
I suggested that many months ago, as it would make a lot of sense.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 20:56   #283
KillerCroc1
cf.member

Services: Amazon Prime Video Netflix Discovery+ apple Tv and xbox
KillerCroc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

since i decided to stay with Virgin what is the latest on sky Atlantic coming to us along with sky channels in UHD via the red button or something and not forgetting the new horizon4 ui :-)
KillerCroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 10:18   #284
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCroc1 View Post
since i decided to stay with Virgin what is the latest on sky Atlantic coming to us along with sky channels in UHD via the red button or something and not forgetting the new horizon4 ui :-)
My eyes are on the expiry of the Sky/VM deal this summer. However, we've not heard anything about this yet, other than Sky's statement that Sky Atlantic will be on all major TV platforms in 2019.

The Horizon UI will replace what we have at the moment on the V6, but no date has been announced. I'm not expecting anything imminently, to be honest.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 10:24   #285
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
My eyes are on the expiry of the Sky/VM deal this summer. However, we've not heard anything about this yet, other than Sky's statement that Sky Atlantic will be on all major TV platforms in 2019.
Saying and doing are two different things OB.

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 ----------

Quote:
The Horizon UI will replace what we have at the moment on the V6, but no date has been announced. I'm not expecting anything imminently, to be honest.
Your assumption is probably correct.