Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 18:53   #7546
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I'll add "perfidious", "hegemonic" and "awful" to Mick's list. You need reminding.

The Remainers' constant stream of Project Fear material certainly doesn't take the debate forward.
You can add all sort of silly names if you wish It doesn't remind me of what you may think it should

Ah, the "Project Fear" comfort blanket again. Denial is no plan I am afraid.

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I wonder if those who renew their passports early simply lose out on what they have paid for, or if the unexpired portion is added onto the new passport??
I think there was a recent change so people will lose any unexpired part:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8535346.html
Old 11-02-2019, 19:00   #7547
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

£75.50* for ten years, £7.55 a year, around £3.80 loss for the six months I have left on my current passport - I’m not worried about something that is the price of a pint of beer.

*if done online.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 11-02-2019, 21:03   #7548
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

The Standard nails today's economic news which saw the UK economy shrink in December.
Quote:
We’ve detected a pattern. In the immediate aftermath of the referendum, every anecdote and business story — such as the decision of Nissan to continue with plans to build its new car model in Sunderland — was cheered as proof that “Project Fear” had been baseless.
Then, as the difficulties mounted and businesses became more vocal with their fears, we were told that while Brexit would be a “disruption” it wouldn’t be “the end of the world” — as if the avoidance of Armageddon was supposed to be a positive outcome.
But now, as the economic data shows the evidence of their political folly, and car makers retreat, what do we hear? Nothing.
The silence of the Brexiteers on days like this tells us all we need to know.
https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...-a4063326.html
Old 11-02-2019, 21:10   #7549
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The Standard nails today's economic news which saw the UK economy shrink in December.

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...-a4063326.html
Poor George Osborne really hasn’t got over it has he.
Old 11-02-2019, 21:21   #7550
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
He's not had time with his 10 jobs.
But The Evening Standard makes a valid point.
Old 11-02-2019, 21:26   #7551
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It isn’t an impersonal entity called the evening standard making a point - it’s an editorial, written (or commissioned) by the editor - one G. Osborne. That tells us all we need to know. ��
Old 11-02-2019, 21:27   #7552
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Don’t believe he’s in charge of the ONS...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/gross...todecember2018
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 11-02-2019, 21:45   #7553
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It isn’t an impersonal entity called the evening standard making a point - it’s an editorial, written (or commissioned) by the editor - one G. Osborne. That tells us all we need to know. ��
Not entirely. Newspaper's editorial approaches are usually somewhat more complex. Take the left-wing The Mirror with right-winger Piers Morgan once its editor as one example.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Don’t believe he’s in charge of the ONS...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/gross...todecember2018
Put your glasses on Hugh, and read that press release again.
Old 11-02-2019, 21:47   #7554
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
What actually happens with mobile networks will be unclear. Vodafone included some roaming prior to the EU rule coming into force, and their existing free roaming zone includes Turkey which has a Vodafone network.

As Telefonica O2 and Vodafone operate across the Eurozone I don’t think they will go back to charging. They may offer a limited data allowance instead of the full UK allowance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...no-brexit-deal
Old 11-02-2019, 21:49   #7555
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Not entirely. Newspaper's editorial approaches are usually somewhat more complex. Take the left-wing The Mirror with right-winger Piers Morgan once its editor as one example.
Piers Morgan a man who like to hear his own voice and to put it bluntly is a utter egoistic prat.
Old 11-02-2019, 21:54   #7556
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
As someone who used to write Op-Ed ... I know.

I also know that the Standard’s editorial line is being closely managed by its editor, former chancellor and, apparently, still major butthurt sufferer, George Osborne. You may be assured that for Osborne, this is deeply personal and anything the Standard offers an opinion on that is in any way related to Brexit has either been written by or commissioned and signed off by him personally.
Old 11-02-2019, 21:59   #7557
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Piers Morgan a man who like to hear his own voice and to put it bluntly is a utter egoistic prat.
You're an excellent judge of character Den
Old 11-02-2019, 22:17   #7558
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
  • Germany isn't in recession - it has had one bad quarter, mainly due to low car sales. Annualised growth is about the same as the UK at 1.1%
  • Italy isn't in recession either though that's closer with two bad quarters
  • Irelands GDP growth last quarter was 4.5x the UKs. Annualised growth is the same. Growth in Ireland is softening due to some troublesome neighbours
  • Greeces youth unemployment is bad but it's nowhere near 50%. Greeces GDP growth is 5x the UKs. Annualised, it's still twice the UK
I don't know what news information you've been following but you're wrong on all those points.

It's been in the news this last few weeks, Germany is already there in recession territory, Italy also - Ireland's economy would crash under a No Deal Brexit, so it's not good at all.

I stand by what I say and believe it to be true and it's about time you realised that.

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

Quote:
Exactly, so it's all Fake News coming from the Standard.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:54   #7559
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I don't know what news information you've been following but you're wrong on all those points.

It's been in the news this last few weeks, Germany is already there in recession territory, Italy also - Ireland's economy would crash under a No Deal Brexit, so it's not good at all.

I stand by what I say and believe it to be true and it's about time you realised that.

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

Exactly, so it's all Fake News coming from the Standard.
OK, I am going by the definition of recession being two successive quarters of negative GDP growth so here are the numbers;

Germany
One quarter of negative growth - https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/gdp-growth
Full year GDP growth 1.5% - https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/gdp-growth-annual
Data from German Federal Statistical Office

Italy
OK, now in recession :-)
Two quarters of negative growth - https://tradingeconomics.com/italy/gdp-growth
Full year growth 1% - https://tradingeconomics.com/italy/gdp-growth-annual
Data from Italian National Institute of Statistics

Ireland
Last quarter 0.9% growth - https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/gdp-growth
Full year growth 4.9% - https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/gdp-growth-annual
Data from Central Statistics Office Ireland

Greece
Youth unemployment rate 39.1% - https://tradingeconomics.com/greece/...mployment-rate
Last quarter GDP growth 1% - https://tradingeconomics.com/greece/gdp-growth
Annualised growth 2.2% - https://tradingeconomics.com/greece/gdp-growth-annual
Data source National Statistical Service of Greece

United Kingdom
GDP growth 0.2% - https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp-growth
Annualised growth 1.3 % - https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...-growth-annual
Data source Office for National Statistics

Note that some of the data has moved since Yesterday so I apologise for the Italy figures and the comparison with the UK will have moved slightly with the Q4 results.
Old 12-02-2019, 18:00   #7560
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
£75.50* for ten years, £7.55 a year, around £3.80 loss for the six months I have left on my current passport - I’m not worried about something that is the price of a pint of beer.

*if done online.
This suggests that you will have the unexpired part added onto your new passport*.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...rexit-13834666

But some people should have done it 15 months before Brexit, i'd look into this Hugh in case it messes up your holidays.

*Edit: Just seen Ians post, which says that this has been dropped, however, if you renewed it early last time, this could have consequnces as per the link.
Closed Thread