Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 07-02-2019, 16:24   #226
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

According to TVWise Smithsonian Channel will be coming to Freesat, so I think that pretty much means it it be on all Virgin Media packages.

Based on combination of information from TVWise and a516digital it will HD only on all platforms except Freeview, which will be SD.

Really looking forward to this channel.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 07-02-2019 at 16:53. Reason: Found it wasn't HD on all platforms as previously stated.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2019, 17:55   #227
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I agree with Raider999, I don't think Sky lost La Liga. Same way they didn't lose ATP Tennis. They've only got so much space to fill, existing rights get more expensive and certain sports have inconvenience scheduling, they either clash with higher rating events or take too much time to show. They also need to give the illusion of variety, so they can't just show football.

BT Sport is the same. It's juggling budget, audience perception and scheduling. Eurosport takes a different approach, it predominantly shows sports that take large chunks of schedule to do properly, hence cycling, tennis and snooker.

Notice how Sky sponsored a pro cycling team for years but never showed an interest in broadcasting it. There are a lot of events and they can take many hours to even show just one. Sky knew they didn't have the space to schedule it and the audience wasn't necessarily big enough to justify a dedicated channel (remember the Bike channel that existed but folded in recent years).

-------

Sorry for going off thread topic.

Still no sign of the STV HD 103 switch. Guess either the information was wrong, or it was postponed due to technical difficulties.

I suspect if Discovery end up with the 3 channels mentioned in that article they will end up closing them, or their own channels with similar subject matter.
Sky deliberately didn't bid for second tier sports rights as they want to divert the money to other programming, such as drama.

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Quote:
According to TVWise Smithsonian Channel will be coming to Freesat, so I think that pretty much means it it be on all Virgin Media packages.

Based on combination of information from TVWise and a516digital it will HD only on all platforms except Freeview, which will be SD.

Really looking forward to this channel.
The Smithsonian Channel is currently testing in both SD & HD on Freesat; it won't be coming to Freeview until at least the Spring.

FTA channels tend to go in either the lowest Player package or the higher Mix package.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 18:12   #228
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
FTA channels tend to go in either the lowest Player package or the higher Mix package.
Yeah, I know, I just didn't know it was going to be a FTA channel until today. Given its UK distribution common connection to LoveNature I thought it was more likely to be Pay. I'm glad it's FTA though, means I get it via multiple methods in the house and there's a backup if VM TV has technical difficulties.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 19:12   #229
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yeah, I know, I just didn't know it was going to be a FTA channel until today. Given its UK distribution common connection to LoveNature I thought it was more likely to be Pay. I'm glad it's FTA though, means I get it via multiple methods in the house and there's a backup if VM TV has technical difficulties.
Yes, FTA channels are always useful should VM go down.
Old 07-02-2019, 19:27   #230
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Would I be right in saying that once the Smithsonian launches the UK will have more linear TV channels than at any point in history?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 19:28   #231
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Would I be right in saying that once the Smithsonian launches the UK will have more linear TV channels than at any point in history?
On VM or in general?
Old 07-02-2019, 19:29   #232
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Both I suppose, for the purpose of the thread the VM figure would be helpful.
Old 07-02-2019, 19:31   #233
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Old 07-02-2019, 19:35   #234
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Both I suppose, for the purpose of the thread the VM figure would be helpful.
I'd say yes for VM as extra channels were added due to the UKTV dispute, the UKTV channels were returned, extra channels have been added since and there's more to come.
Old 07-02-2019, 19:42   #235
jfman
Architect of Ideas

If someone were to be pedantic I suppose Virgin have closed SD simulcasts.
Old 07-02-2019, 22:36   #236
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

From Saturday Sky Cinema Drama will be called Sky Cinema Valentine until February 18th.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 22:51   #237
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
If someone were to be pedantic I suppose Virgin have closed SD simulcasts.
True, I suppose it depends on what's defined as a channel. Media Boy might know if the total number of services has increased or decreased as he sometimes takes note if this.
Old 07-02-2019, 22:57   #238
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
True, I suppose it depends on what's defined as a channel. Media Boy might know if the total number of services has increased or decreased as he sometimes takes note if this.
As of today 295 total channels are broadcasting on 44 streams.

Virgin did add up to 3 channels to total channels last Wednesday (We feel it new STV HD streams as we has to reset some STV HD shows due to Virgin moving the STV HD channel to Channel 81 and is now called "Old STV HD")

Info was seen on TiVo last Wednesday.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 21:58   #239
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
From Saturday Sky Cinema Drama will be called Sky Cinema Valentine until February 18th.

lmfao
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 17:09   #240
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

I just had a message pop up on my home screen that the STV HD swap will now happen this Tuesday
It states that STV SD will not be available after this time but recordings will be available for 12 months.
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote