Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

Old 15-08-2018, 15:18   #991
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I know, Richard, but as we keep trying to tell you, these customers are only a small fraction of the VM customer base.
So why are there still excessive waiting times to cancel and why are some customers being hung up on immediately they do actually get through? It's suspected that this is to get the average number of calls waiting down and/of to put people off from cancelling.

This is normally a disciplinary offence and calls ending so quickly would show up to management, so it's entirely possible that they have instigated this.

This report contains information that the fallout over the way the whole thing was handled is not over yet as far as some customers are concerned:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-for-2018.html

Do you really think that the carriage costs which work out at pennies per week per subscriber per channel for three weeks will cover the extra discounts given out (for a decent amount and indefinitely in some cases)? Come on now.

The actual affect of the dispute won't be known until the figures are released, so don't try and pretend otherwise.

---------- Post added at 15:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Yes please lets put this one to bed!
You keep saying this, but you aren't obliged to read or contribute to any thread you don't want to you know!

I think that it's interesting to analysis the continuing affects of the situation, hopefully VM will be doing the same thing and might learn something about customer care and retention.

Last edited by Hugh; 15-08-2018 at 16:55. Reason: Fixing quotes
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2018, 15:26   #992
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Quote:
I know, Richard, but as we keep trying to tell you, these customers are only a small fraction of the VM customer base.
So why are there still excessive waiting times to cancel and why are some customers being hung up on immediately they do actually get through? It's suspected that this is to get the average number of calls waiting down and/of to put people off from cancelling.

This is normally a disciplinary offence and calls ending so quickly would show up to management, so it's entirely possible that they have instigated this.

This report contains information that the fallout over the way the whole thing was handled is not over yet as far as some customers are concerned:

Do you really think that the carriage costs which work out at pennies per week per subscriber per channel for three weeks will cover the extra discounts given out (for a decent amount and indefinitely in some cases)? Come on now.

The actual affect of the dispute won't be known until the figures are released, so don't try and pretend otherwise.
Yes, I do! The carriage costs are certainly significant - if they were not, why would VM be making such a fuss about their high charges for low value content and free channels?

I don't know how much Virgin were paying UKTV for their channels, but if it only amounted to 5p per customer per week, that would amount to £60,000.

I am not sure what your motivation is for making such a big deal about this. The channels are back. We have some HD channels that UKTV kept from us before, more on demand, and - oh - those 'replacement' channels to boot. I really can't see the point in continuing to debate an issue which is now resolved.

Last edited by Hugh; 15-08-2018 at 16:56. Reason: Fixing quotes
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 15:31   #993
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I don't think that there is a cat in helps chance that three weeks of nil carriage costs will cover the amount of discounts awarded.

I made it clear why I think that it's useful to debate the continuing effects of the situation in my last post and my comment to alwaysabear also applies to you too.

Which HD channels are you referring to that UKTV withheld? We had them all, apart from GOLD HD* which was actually offered to VM.

* GOLD HD is said to be working on a Wednesday launch date. I'm assuming that as this is the last HD slot available on the system with the current configuration, that VM will want to carry out work of some kind beforehand to free up more capacity, so hence the delay.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 15-08-2018 at 15:38.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:41   #994
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

So, Virgin Media within the last couple of weeks have stuck their heels in and refused ro allow people out of their contracts who weren't happy about the UKTV dispute and angered them even further, to now putting prices up just weeks after and now those customers can leave penalty free anyway? What was the point? Now those same people will probably just leave out of principle because the way they have been treated and with a bitter taste in their mouth.
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:48   #995
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
GOLD HD is said to be working on a Wednesday launch date. I'm assuming that as this is the last HD slot available on the system with the current configuration, that VM will want to carry out work of some kind beforehand to free up more capacity, so hence the delay.
UKTV has told an Virgin Media Viewer that GOLD HD should launch sometime this month.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...t/true#M169241
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:48   #996
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era
Re: VM loses UKTV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Do you know, is this a distribution agreement? I.e if the program has already been aired / recorded the viewer may keep it until he or she is ready to delete it?

Only Fox News went off the air maybe a year and change ago or so...and I still have hundreds of hours of their programming left which I am still going through, bit by bit which I recorded before they went.

The network (509) no longer even exists on Sky yet I can still watch recordings. In fact they even replaced the networks number with a different network - 509 is now CCTV.

Still can watch out an delete old FNC stuff though (manually).
Chloé Palmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:52   #997
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas View Post
Do you know, is this a distribution agreement? I.e if the program has already been aired / recorded the viewer may keep it until he or she is ready to delete it?

Only Fox News went off the air maybe a year and change ago or so...and I still have hundreds of hours of their programming left which I am still going through, bit by bit which I recorded before they went.

The network (509) no longer even exists on Sky yet I can still watch recordings. In fact they even replaced the networks number with a different network - 509 is now CCTV.

In most circumstances you can continue to watch for up to 3 months, I believe.
Old 15-08-2018, 16:54   #998
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas View Post

You didn’t strike me as a Fox News viewer - I thought you more of a middle of the road liberal (with a small ‘l’)...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:01   #999
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era

Back then Fox was outstanding (Bush years) and then it turned into a more "anti government" media outlet during the Obama years.

Under Trump though, it is out and out propaganda / the nationalist news network.

I used to love the leg shots too....their anchors were / are hot and all but the make up and hair was great. Though truthfully, I was most interested in the dresses / skirts and tops. These days the anchors are shorter and all uniformly wear skin tight dresses which I don't like so much. (Also the odd jumpsuit here and there).

I was actually fairly liberal - then Luther shook me by the ankles a bit and now I am much more of a traditionalist. The abortion issue drove me away from the left like VM viewers after the UKTV....ahh! I see what you did there!!!
Old 15-08-2018, 17:10   #1000
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don't think that there is a cat in helps chance that three weeks of nil carriage costs will cover the amount of discounts awarded.

I made it clear why I think that it's useful to debate the continuing effects of the situation in my last post and my comment to alwaysabear also applies to you too.

Which HD channels are you referring to that UKTV withheld? We had them all, apart from GOLD HD* which was actually offered to VM.

* GOLD HD is said to be working on a Wednesday launch date. I'm assuming that as this is the last HD slot available on the system with the current configuration, that VM will want to carry out work of some kind beforehand to free up more capacity, so hence the delay.
What were the old and new carriage costs, then, Richard? They haven't made that public as far as I am aware, so you cannot say the nil carriage costs for three weeks or so will not cover the discounts and compensation payments. It's just a finger in the air argument.

As far as your second paragraph is concerned, when did you start setting the rules? You are plugging this tired old argument to death, and yet we will all see that this will be a distant memory for most of us before too long. Surely there is a limit, even for you, on the number of different ways you can make this point.

With regard to the UKTV HD situation, yes, I stand corrected in that Gold HD was the only one withheld previously. I was mistakenly counting Drama, which unfortunately is not available in HD, although I can't think why. It would make more sense if it was Drama rather than Gold, but there you go.

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimes View Post
So, Virgin Media within the last couple of weeks have stuck their heels in and refused ro allow people out of their contracts who weren't happy about the UKTV dispute and angered them even further, to now putting prices up just weeks after and now those customers can leave penalty free anyway? What was the point? Now those same people will probably just leave out of principle because the way they have been treated and with a bitter taste in their mouth.
1. Gold HD
2. More 'On demand'.
3. A commitment from the BBC to commence negotiations on the BBC archives which they previously refused.
Possibly, 4. A reduction in cost, which would have reduced the size of the price hike.

I think all this, together with the discounts and compensation payments (and of course the return of the UKTV channels) as well as those 'replacement channels', have satisfied most.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:16   #1001
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:

1. Gold HD
2. More 'On demand'.
3. A commitment from the BBC to commence negotiations on the BBC archives which they previously refused.
Possibly, 4. A reduction in cost, which would have reduced the size of the price hike.

I think all this, together with the discounts and compensation payments (and of course the return of the UKTV channels) as well as those 'replacement channels', have satisfied most.

Spot on, OB......
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:21   #1002
tvtimes
Inactive

Quote:
What were the old and new carriage costs, then, Richard? They haven't made that public as far as I am aware, so you cannot say the nil carriage costs for three weeks or so will not cover the discounts and compensation payments. It's just a finger in the air argument.

As far as your second paragraph is concerned, when did you start setting the rules? You are plugging this tired old argument to death, and yet we will all see that this will be a distant memory for most of us before too long. Surely there is a limit, even for you, on the number of different ways you can make this point.

With regard to the UKTV HD situation, yes, I stand corrected in that Gold HD was the only one withheld previously. I was mistakenly counting Drama, which unfortunately is not available in HD, although I can't think why. It would make more sense if it was Drama rather than Gold, but there you go.

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

1. Gold HD
2. More 'On demand'.

You missed my point, OB . I meant what was the point in not allowing customers out of contract, aggravating them even further, when VM as a company would have been aware a price rise was coming soon and those upset customers could leave anyway. It just made the situation worse and Virgin Media wouldn't have known at that immediate time the channels would definitely come back and they would eventually get a better deal.
Old 15-08-2018, 17:21   #1003
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:

---------- Post added at 15:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:11 ----------

You keep saying this, but you aren't obliged to read or contribute to any thread you don't want to you know!

I think that it's interesting to analysis the continuing affects of the situation, hopefully VM will be doing the same thing and might learn something about customer care and retention.
Not worth the hassle I'd get.

Last edited by Mythica; 15-08-2018 at 17:25.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:23   #1004
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Quote:
Possibly,
The commitment is to negotiate but directly with the VM teams or with the networks (like Gold) that air the content?

VM customers could be directly reliant on Gold renegotiating the materiel from Beeb archives.
Old 15-08-2018, 17:29   #1005
tvtimes
Inactive

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the BBC been selling off their archive content to the likes of Netflix? How can the BBC give commitments to VM when they have sold off a lot of on-demand rights? Haven't the BBC made such promises before when they negotiated previously and they never came to fruition?