Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Analogue Cable Memories

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Analogue Cable Memories

Old 04-08-2018, 22:04   #46
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold
Re: Analogue Cable Memories

I had a Scientific Atlanta box and remember getting excited whenever YOU HAVE A MESSAGE popped up on the screen.
Most of the time it was just a 'refer a friend' type offer though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180804_205933.jpg (231.1 KB, 45 views)
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2018, 10:08   #47
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point

That's really cool! I don't think ours ever did that (it might have had that feature, not sure)
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:49   #48
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCable View Post
That's really cool! I don't think ours ever did that (it might have had that feature, not sure)
There was a 'message' button on the remote that you pressed when it popped up on screen. In the days before email etc, it could have been a great way to communicate with customers about new channels. It was rarely used though, and as I mentioned, mainly referral offers. From memory, it was probably used once or twice a year max and I cant remember it being used at all in the last few years before I upgraded to digital (2000).
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:49   #49
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

We had Comtel here too - still have the Comtel branded phone sockets on the wall.

We had two tv boxes installed and already has satellite tv.

When they thought they had finished the install I complained about the poor picture and gave an example on screen. They said it was a perfect picture and I agreed - so I switched away from the satellite box to the cable box and they saw what I was complaining about - and they agreed.

When we got it Comtel were about to launch their own ondemand film service - but it never happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Comtel installed my cable with a black I think it was a 4000 box many years ago.

It had a pass thru for analogue TV

Last edited by ozsat; 05-08-2018 at 10:54.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:59   #50
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Oh the memories of Rediffusion cable in 1984.
We had a box on the window sill with a dial of A,B,C,D etc to change the channels.
Not many channels in those days, Screensport,Music Box,The Movie Channel,The Childrens Channel and maybe a couple more that I can't quite remember.
Then it was NTL and now Virgin Media. In between that we had BSB briefly.
Old 05-08-2018, 14:23   #51
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
We had a box on the window sill with a dial of A,B,C,D etc to change the channels.
Not many channels in those days, Screensport,Music Box,The Movie Channel,The Childrens Channel and maybe a couple more that I can't quite remember.
That would have been fantastic at the time. Did they really have The Movie Channel all that time ago? I thought that first made its appearance on British screens when BSB launched.

We first got multi-channel TV when the cable company at the time laid its cables in our area. That must have been about 1996 and the company was Telecential. They were a good company, but customer services deteriorated when ComTel took over a few years later.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 14:36   #52
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Indeed what wonderful memories especially Music Box.
Old 05-08-2018, 17:08   #53
bennyhill
cf.lurker

Services: Tivo (1Tb), blah, blah, blah...
bennyhill is a jewel in the roughbennyhill is a jewel in the roughbennyhill is a jewel in the roughbennyhill is a jewel in the roughbennyhill is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
...it was Diamond Cable before ntl:
bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 17:48   #54
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone
Indeed what wonderful memories especially Music Box.
I remember in the 80s when my cable system first got HBO.... They issued special descramblers to customers to unscramble it....

And I remember having a black and white tv with a FINE TUNE slider on it and I used to be able to fine tune scrambled signals in enough to watch them....... (If there wasnt anything on the next higher channel was the easiest)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:06   #55
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I do remember before we had cable TV installed I used to connect my Sega Game Gear TV adaptor to my TV aerial.

I could switch between UHF/VHF

While on VHF I got a sports channel and saw live the crash that killed Roland Ratzenberger.

Also on my new TV in my room I was scanning for the TV channels and found one IIRC called Galaxy, which was a BSB channel.
Old 09-08-2018, 15:17   #56
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That would have been fantastic at the time. Did they really have The Movie Channel all that time ago? I thought that first made its appearance on British screens when BSB launched.

We first got multi-channel TV when the cable company at the time laid its cables in our area. That must have been about 1996 and the company was Telecential. They were a good company, but customer services deteriorated when ComTel took over a few years later.
There was a film channel from Rediffusion, or it could have been one called TEN, 'The Movie Channel' that you're thinking about did indeed start on BSB. It then moved to Astra under the ownership of BSKYB after the 'merger', before being renamed and absorbed completely into Skys general portfolio of film channels.

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCable View Post

Analogue cable clips start around 2:50 minutes with an archive clip from the 1970s, then a clip showing someone using a CFT-2100, which were still being used in Milton Keynes in 2011/12. BT (which owned the cabling) refused to upgrade the cabling for Virgin Media's digital services. I believe the analogue service in Milton Keynes was stopped in 2013/14.

If anyone has a General Instrument CFT-2100/CFT-2200 box plug it in and make a video!!!

Btw as landlines are still analogue, how much bandwidth are they taking up? I take it there's no special equipment multiplexing the signal from house to street cabinet?
VM are to move their telephony service over to VOIP:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...broadband.html
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 15:47   #57
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

TEN: The Movie Channel launched on Redifusion in March 1984 and a second film channel called Prem1ere launched less than six months later.

TEN: The Movie Channel closed and was quicky replaced in June 1985 by MirrorVision. MirrorVision that lasted less than a year being being taken over by Prem1ere.

Prem1ere carried on until 1989 when it closed as it was unable to compete again Sky and BSB for film rights. By this time it was carried on satellite but for cable operators only and was one of the first pirated film channels.

Bravo and HVC were also film channels exclusive to cable from September 1985 - Bravo later changed format and carried other programme and moved to satellite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 00:32   #58
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
TEN: The Movie Channel launched on Redifusion in March 1984 and a second film channel called Prem1ere launched less than six months later.

TEN: The Movie Channel closed and was quicky replaced in June 1985 by MirrorVision. MirrorVision that lasted less than a year being being taken over by Prem1ere.

Prem1ere carried on until 1989 when it closed as it was unable to compete again Sky and BSB for film rights. By this time it was carried on satellite but for cable operators only and was one of the first pirated film channels.

Bravo and HVC were also film channels exclusive to cable from September 1985 - Bravo later changed format and carried other programme and moved to satellite.
Some interesting information there ozsat, I never knew that Bravo was initially a film channel. By the time I first saw Bravo in (I think it came to analogue satellite in 1993), it showed a mixture of films and general entertainment programmes. Many were in black and white and their marketing phrase was 'Timewarp Television'. After some time it was decided that they could increase their ratings by scrapping all monochrome material and showing colour programming only.

Interesting that years later Talking Pictures found a gap in the market for historical films and programmes.

Do you know if HVC was any connection to the video rental store (I think it was HVC, or was it MVC) and if Prem1ere had any connection to the German movie channel Premier that was on analogue satellite in the 90's?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 10-08-2018 at 00:36.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:14   #59
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

I vaguely remember there was a channel called Premiere on satellite, but it was scrambled in a system called syster (or was it nagravision?) - it was not receivable on a videocrypt decoder. Instead of the lines being cut and rotated, they seemed to jump up and down vertically, and the audio had a weird form of hissy sounding encryption also.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 19:09   #60
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
VM are to move their telephony service over to VOIP
Awww. Don't really see the point apart from business use. According to a customer service rep 1 or 2 years ago, no one uses their landlines.

What happens to emergency calls in power cuts? What happens to faxing?

Faxing still receives a lot of business use (e.g. for contracts that have to be signed) because it's pretty much fully trustworthy. You know who the sender is and setting up a MiTM attack to modify a document in transit is fairly difficult over fax. We can talk encryption all day, but every form of digital encryption will be cracked fairly easily at some point. The security of faxing comes from the design of the (already huge) telephone network, being fairly closed off, rigid and noninteractive unlike computer networks.

More info if you're interested: https://www.infoworld.com/article/30...d-the-fax.html

Last edited by RWCable; 10-08-2018 at 19:13.
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote