Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 25-06-2018, 16:30   #781
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Services: vip
awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Bizarre to watch you making stuff up. I thought you were going?

Your very angry, more replies...

All this for wanting 4k channels to be transmitted using existing platforms, how insane :-D

Last edited by awesometeeth; 25-06-2018 at 16:40.
awesometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2018, 16:47   #782
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesometeeth View Post
Bizarre to watch you making stuff up. I thought you were going?

Your very angry, more replies...

All this for wanting 4k channels to be transmitted using existing platforms, how insane :-D

Angry and making stuff up? hahaha...now I know you are messing about.

Again, with a V6 + 100mbs + 4K tv, you'll be able to watch the 4K HLG feed on the iplayer without worrying about anyone else on the internet.

The only small issue I have with the iPlayer, is the time-lag, but the picture is crystal clear.

4K channels will probably come, but with new technology being tested, it's not going to be anytime soon I wouldn't have thought.

No anger there at all.... lol
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 16:58   #783
awesometeeth
cf.addict

awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

Upto 100mb and don't whatever you do go look at threads about poor speeds and local congestion or your little head will implode :-D

Your spending all this time angrily telling me it's my connection when you ignore that I've told you my TV has 100mb and it's still fluctuating :-D

We have had two 4k red button channels recently :O

See, these angry kittens don't live in the same world...

Show how unangrry you are by posting again telling me I'm wrong....

All this for suggesting we should be getting our 4k live content via existing platforms, bizarre.
Old 25-06-2018, 17:09   #784
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Upto 100mb and don't whatever you do go look at threads about poor speeds and local congestion or your little head will implode :-D

Your spending all this time angrily telling me it's my connection when you ignore that I've told you my TV has 100mb and it's still fluctuating :-D

We have had two 4k red button channels recently :O

See, these angry kittens don't live in the same world...

Show how unangrry you are by posting again telling me I'm wrong....

All this for suggesting we should be getting our 4k live content via existing platforms, bizarre.
Calm down, take a chill pill.

The 2 red buttons did not broadcast 4K in HLG....
I'm all for 4k channels, but only when the technology allows it to.

Your TV may have 100mb and fluctuation, but that won't stop you from accessing the 4K feed on the iPlayer...or did you mean you can access it, but the buffering problems made it painful?

Thanks for helping me to 1,000 posts lol

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 25-06-2018 at 17:17.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 17:27   #785
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Could everyone please refrain from resorting to winding each other up. Stay on topic or take a break from the thread, no need to start being rude.
Old 25-06-2018, 19:06   #786
awesometeeth
cf.addict

The quality of this picture is lower, without question. Shimmering lines and grass ...

The first week was much bette but buffered.

I'm going to guess they are using faster encoding settings

Edit: I'm talking about the lines on the other side of the camera position and the grass there.
Old 26-06-2018, 00:27   #787
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

The past few days I don't get the buffer on the iplayer the games run OK but as the quality I think it looks better in HD my 4k tv is 2 months old and is encluded in the list of compatable tvs to get uhd
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 19:59   #788
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

This is the second time that I've tried the UHD feed from the iplayer for the Argentina game, and the PQ is better in HD, than it is in UHD!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 20:00   #789
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
This is the second time that I've tried the UHD feed from the iplayer for the Argentina game, and the PQ is better in HD, than it is in UHD!
So a con then..
Old 26-06-2018, 20:10   #790
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
So a con then..
No idea, Den, my TV is a 4K UHD capable set and can also show HLG, so I'm at odds as to why the PQ isn't as it should be after all the hype about it.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 20:29   #791
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Sky Q customers are only getting the semi-finals and finals plus it won't be shown in HDR

VM V6 customers will get the best offering with 4K/HDR via the iPlayer and every match which is on centre court
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
The Beeb have a few issues go irion out, then!

Thank God it's just a trial.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 21:12   #792
awesometeeth
cf.addict

That's the thing though, it's not a trial as such like we might think.

The issues inherent in going outside a closed controlled system aren't going away and the reason they capped the connections is because they were concerned the UK network structure couldn't cope otherwise.

The thing is, I think 4k take up is going to be a lot faster than UK broadband speed increase, and even then you're still going to have issues with local congestion on the last mile and potential issues in the home.

Now I get that is a good cover for the BBC as it's platform neutral, but this surely can't be the intention for the BBC to only use the iPlayer for 4k?

Edit: picture was good but has several buffers and stops so went back to HD
Old 26-06-2018, 21:58   #793
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Anger? From the people squealing over someone wanting a reliable connection :-)

I get it, you don't like people having a view you don't agree with.

Sure, go off and do something else, thanks for you time.

My connection btw is giving me 100mb to the TV so...

And yeah, you don't think using the internet while trying to stream a 4k feed might cause issues?

Bizarre.

Edit: and part of the reason it's a trial is because they don't think the UK network could cope without limiting it. Does that sound like a better system than using cable or satellite....
The other day we were streaming a game in 4k From the V6, watching the other game on iPlayer on a phone while another phone was on YouTube watching a 30 minute video at 1080p on the 350Mb broadband without a problem.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 22:03   #794
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
The other day we were streaming a game in 4k From the V6, watching the other game on iPlayer on a phone while another phone was on YouTube watching a 30 minute video at 1080p on the 350Mb broadband without a problem.

Only required 350mb, that's great news!
Old 26-06-2018, 22:13   #795
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Only required 350mb, that's great news!
You said -

"And yeah, you don't think using the internet while trying to stream a 4k feed might cause issues?"

Simply pointing out it was fine for me.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote