Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 17-06-2018, 15:52   #646
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'd imagine if Discovery make UHD content available it will be via On Demand. The type of content they make available doesn't have to be shown live.
They already do this for Sky Q.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2018, 15:58   #647
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Cinema View Post
They already do this for Sky Q.
Have they ? Must admit I've not noticed any UHD content from Discovery.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 16:14   #648
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Have they ? Must admit I've not noticed any UHD content from Discovery.
Sky Q on demand UHD?
Old 17-06-2018, 18:14   #649
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Virgin customers with a V6 box can get the streams via iPlayer, so there is no need to produce another version.

Alot of people can't due to their TV with the format the BBC are using, i think it sucks.
Old 17-06-2018, 18:48   #650
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Alot of people can't due to their TV with the format the BBC are using, i think it sucks.
I'm interested to know if anyone knows what it is. What exactly is stopping some TVs from doing it. I've noticed those people who say they can't get it also say their TVs can do pretty much anything else.

I know some TVs can't do VP9.2 profile but from what I've seen there is nothing in the specs of the World Cup stream that say VP9.2 is involved.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 19:22   #651
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

BBC are using HLG, a form of HDR.

If your tv can play the FA Cup HLG UHD Beta demo, you are ok.

My V6 box buffers more than my Samsung tv and my Hub 2 router speed crashed once @ 200mbps.

Ordered new Hub 3 router with 350mbps.

Last edited by DVD Cinema; 17-06-2018 at 20:23.
Old 17-06-2018, 19:36   #652
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

So it's the BBC's fault that the bandwidth required for UHD programmes isn't available to all homes?

That's an interesting concept...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 19:53   #653
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Cinema View Post
BBC are using HLG, a form of HDR.

If your tv can play the FA Cup HLG UHD Beta demo, you are ok.

My V6 box buffers more than my Samsung tv and my Hub 2 router crashed once @ 200mbps.

Ordered new Hub 3 router with 350mbps.

Not the regular HLG though as my TV supports HLG but i can't view the iplayer hlg..... well mine can on the UHD feed surprisingly but i think it is down scaled.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 17-06-2018 at 20:03.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 19:58   #654
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

Who’s fault is it that the Bandwidth isn’t available on Freeview?

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Not the regular HLG though as my TV supports HLG but i can't view it in 4K.
If it’s compatible and up to spec.

Not all HLG devices passed testing.
Old 17-06-2018, 20:07   #655
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

It's just the iplayer HLG streaming that doesn't work on Samsungs 2016 TVs, you can still watch HLG content on them by other means.
Old 17-06-2018, 20:17   #656
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So it's the BBC's fault that the bandwidth required for UHD programmes isn't available to all homes?

That's an interesting concept...
It is hardly inclusive & available to all if you need very high broadband speeds to be able to watch without buffering!

BBC chose to do it this way so it is their fault!
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 21:31   #657
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
IMO BBC have messed up big time, these trials should have happened ages ago
How? If they'd publicised their trial of the FA Cup Final, for example, the same problems would presumably have happened then. You can't (properly) test tens of thousands of streams without having tens of thousands of users.

Except they couldn't have reached the current numbers of users anyway, as the V6 software to support HLG only finished rolling out last week.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 00:21   #658
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

I been trying to watch the world Cup uhd and tried both the V6 box and the my LG Uhd smart TV connecting to the bbc iplayer both buffers soo much I have 200 mb speed I just don't know what to try next have rebooted modem a few times incase it helps but never does any help please
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 00:30   #659
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Anyone had the 4k HLG World Cup iplayer stream working via WI FI without using a wired ethernet connection?

I know they advise wired.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 05:19   #660
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot12 View Post
Anyone had the 4k HLG World Cup iplayer stream working via WI FI without using a wired ethernet connection?

I know they advise wired.
Try it. Might be better with 350MB though and as near to the router as you can get.