Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 14-06-2018, 08:54   #586
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

I see Sky are going to show Cricket in 4k, wonder if/when Virgin will be able to offer this..........
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-06-2018, 09:09   #587
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Sky have been showing Cricket in 4K since last yeat but have announced more matches.

But they will not share it with anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
I see Sky are going to show Cricket in 4k, wonder if/when Virgin will be able to offer this..........
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 09:13   #588
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Sky have been showing Cricket in 4K since last yeat but have announced more matches.

But they will not share it with anyone.
Did HD start out like that? i.e Sky keeping it to themselves?
Old 14-06-2018, 09:22   #589
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Can't remember when VM went HD and when Sky put there channels on it - but it is usual for companies to hold on to these type of produces as long as possible.

I think when Sky Sports added new sports channels - they launched on VM and Sky at the same time. But I think it was about 4 years for VM to get the first Sports HD channel after it's launch.

As long as customers are signing up with Sky for 4K sports - they are not going to share it.
Old 14-06-2018, 09:25   #590
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Quote:
Can't remember when VM went HD and when Sky put there channels on it - but it is usual for companies to hold on to these type of produces as long as possible.

I think when Sky Sports added new sports channels - they launched on VM and Sky at the same time.

As long as customers are signing up with Sky for 4K sports - they are not going to share it.
I watched some HD channels last night and it looks better on my 4k. Be good to get more 4k content though.

Last edited by oxfordmark; 14-06-2018 at 09:29.
Old 14-06-2018, 09:28   #591
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Sky have no 4k channels - they offer the occasional sports programme in 4K via the red button (or through a menu).

Same as VM have with BT Sport and Eurosport recently.

BT added their 4K channel to their EPG - but with no football now it is just lots of repeats. And many of their customers can't access it anyway.
Old 14-06-2018, 09:30   #592
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Quote:
Sky have no 4k channels - they offer the occasional sports programme in 4K via the red button (or through a menu).

Same as VM have with BT Sport and Eurosport recently.
I meant content more than channels.

The CL final in UHD on BT was interesting. I wonder if they will offer VM more content next season.
Old 15-06-2018, 09:56   #593
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

I wonder whether Eurosport will show Wimbledon in 4K too, as it is being filmed in house in 4K this year and Eurosport are showing it?
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 12:46   #594
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Anyone watching BBC's coverage of the Egypt vs Uruguay game in UHD on the iplayer?

What's it like?
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 13:26   #595
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Anyone watching BBC's coverage of the Egypt vs Uruguay game in UHD on the iplayer?

What's it like?
An active discussion going on on the Community Forum

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...737166/page/28
Old 15-06-2018, 13:31   #596
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
An active discussion going on on the Community Forum

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...737166/page/28
Cheers Ben, unfortunately I cannot access the VM forums from my work machine.
Old 15-06-2018, 13:37   #597
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post

What's it like?
Yes. Picture a bit dark on current picture settings but switched it Vivid and it looks great.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 13:52   #598
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenryashley View Post
Yes. Picture a bit dark on current picture settings but switched it Vivid and it looks great.
Very nice. I won't get a chance to watch any games in UHD today, but definitely over the weekend.

Glad to hear picture is good and you managed to access it ok.
Old 15-06-2018, 13:54   #599
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Just loaded the iplayer up and got on straight away picture quality looks brilliant, not sure about the DOG in the top right albeit transparent it looks a bit big
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 14:35   #600
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

As i have a 2016 high end Samsung TV which isn't on the compatible list i am surprised i am able to watch the UHD feed just fine.

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

The pictured buffered just now, it is stable again but i have lost all sound like many others.

Much easier to watch the live HD feed upscaled to 4K, it looks superb also.