Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 4 upstream channel bonding - post here

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

4 upstream channel bonding - post here

Old 26-05-2018, 08:24   #61
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: 4 upstream channel bonding - post here

4 is better than 2. QAM64 better than QAM16.

It allows the system to better balance / share the available capacity.
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2018, 10:55   #62
ethan103
cf.addict

Services: VM350, Sky Q Silver.
ethan103 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
4 is better than 2. QAM64 better than QAM16.

It allows the system to better balance / share the available capacity.

Is there any chance of getting QAM64 or do this not get upgraded readily by VM?

And what does that do, provide faster speeds or does it help with latency?
ethan103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 11:07   #63
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Has anyone noticed an actual improvement in service when going from 3-4 upstreams?

Still on 3 but never had an issue with congestion, suspect that's why we're still on 3

Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 11:08   #64
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

The level of modulation used is a result of the hub negotiating the connection to the cabinet. If the signal to noise ratio is good enough the connection will automatically go to QAM64.

Higher modulation means more throughput and you're more likely to get your provisioned speed.

Don't think it improves latency though.
Old 26-05-2018, 12:54   #65
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan103 View Post
And what does that do, provide faster speeds?
I wont bore you with the technical details but qam64 is 50% faster than qam16. The idea is that more channels increases the amount of available bandwidth and couple that with increased modulation increases it further. So.........going from 2 upstreams at qam16 (which is what everyone used to be on) to 4 upstreams on qam64 triples (x3) the amount of available bandwidth to you. It sounds great but isn't going to do anything for you unless you had issues to start off with (which I never have) plus it gives them plenty of leg room for future upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Don't think it improves latency though.
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Has anyone noticed an actual improvement in service when going from 3-4 upstreams?
nope
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 13:57   #66
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
So.........going from 2 upstreams at qam16 (which is what everyone used to be on)
Some areas still are on that. I know this area was, unless it's changed in the last few weeks. I could connect the Hub up to see, still got a week or so before the cancellation goes through.
Jon22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 14:09   #67
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Yes still on 2 upstreams in cb24, I am along way from the cabinet so I guess that is why I never see qam64.
Old 26-05-2018, 19:13   #68
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
Some areas still are on that. I know this area was, unless it's changed in the last few weeks. I could connect the Hub up to see, still got a week or so before the cancellation goes through.
I visited my parents in Newport today and they are on 4 x 16qam. I'm a few miles down the road still on 2 x 16qam.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 21:16   #69
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

The only thing I've noticed is that my graph went from this:

To this:

JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 00:18   #70
Jon22
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
I visited my parents in Newport today and they are on 4 x 16qam. I'm a few miles down the road still on 2 x 16qam.
Interesting, wonder if the local node has been done. Hopefully it has as would of helped with the upstream congestion, if not solved it. Still not enough for me to cancel the cancellation though.
Old 27-05-2018, 12:00   #71
cje85
cf.member

cje85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I now have 4 bonded upstreams since rebooting my hub yesterday (St Helens area).

1 32600000 36.3 5120 16 qam 3
2 53700000 37.8 5120 64 qam 5
3 25800000 36.3 5120 16 qam 4
4 39400000 37.8 5120 16 qam 2

Only 537 is 64QAM but I've been told that's normal for my area?
cje85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 18:02   #72
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster View Post
The only thing I've noticed is that my graph went from this:

To this:

More Upstream channels better latency as not as congested as before.
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 18:54   #73
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

I thought so still a welcome surprise just getting 4 up channels randomly.
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 19:13   #74
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster View Post
I thought so still a welcome surprise just getting 4 up channels randomly.
Let's hope the next step is a capable CPE with has a modem mode from day 1 and no chipset issues
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 21:44   #75
Jon22
cf.addict

4x QAM64 upstream channels on my Dad’s connection now. On Telf14.