Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM SuperHub #2 Problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM SuperHub #2 Problems
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2015, 09:10   #1
Mel Jones
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2
Mel Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
VM SuperHub #2 Problems

Hello,

I have a problem which is really beginning to p*** me *** now and it's not the first time this has happened and I am at the point where after 15 years as a customer I have had enough.

This is my second VMSH#2 and I had the same problem with the other Cable Modem/Router. Whenever I put the cable modem into Cable Modem Mode it can work fine for weeks or even months and then all of the sudden it just stops talking to my Linksys 1900ac Cable/Router and Linksys 8-prt Switch.

What happens is my external router goes Internet LED goes from white to orange which means that it has lost connectivity. Although the cable modem is fine and my PC and Surface Pro 3 is showing as connected. I reboot the CM and then the Router and its back on again. Then it goes again...?

And here is the bizarre part. If I set the Cable/Router to default Cable modem and Router it's fine. Set it back to Cable Modem Mode it drops the connection. But the cable modem is fine according to the LED's it is fine. If I reboot the cable modem and look at the logs I can see there is error messages cannot establish a connection.

Initially I thought that there was an outage because Newport West has had a few outages this year

Therefore I am wondering if I have saturated my connection and the Cable Modem/Router cannot cope with the demand. But when it is in default mode it is fine. Cable Modem mode it drops the connection.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated because I don't know what is causing the problem.
Mel Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2015, 09:20   #2
arcimedes
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oxfordshire
Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
Posts: 1,158
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VM SuperHub #2 Problems

What I conclude from your description is that it appears to point at your router as being the problem. However one other thing to try is put shub into modem mode and connect the PC to it and see what happens.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 09:44   #3
Mel Jones
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2
Mel Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: VM SuperHub #2 Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
What I conclude from your description is that it appears to point at your router as being the problem. However one other thing to try is put shub into modem mode and connect the PC to it and see what happens.
It works fine... and I agree but? When it is in cable modem mode that is where the problems start. I will say one thing. This is the last Linksys Cable/Router that I will ever buy because I have looked through some forums this morning and there are a lot of people experiencing problems with disconnections and stopped communicating with the cable modem. I had a Netgear Cable/Router which had an identical problem as with the Linksys 1900ac. If it was a cheap router I wouldn't mind. but this is an expensive router.

Linksys Tec Support is worse than VM and believe me that is saying something.

[Update]
If I put the cable modem/router into Cable Modem Mode it disconnects, it stops talking with the router and it keeps dropping the connection. If I put the cable modem/router into default mode it works fine and not once has it dropped the connection from the point where I posted this topic. My external router or the cable modem/router does not like to communicate in cable modem mode. Why...? I don't know. But if I turn off Cable Modem Mode it's fine. turn it back on I get disconnections galore. very bizarre indeed.
Mel Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 12:40   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: VM SuperHub #2 Problems

You posted this topic 30 minutes ago. You said the problem only occurs every few weeks or months.

Hardly conclusive...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 15:17   #5
arcimedes
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oxfordshire
Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
Posts: 1,158
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VM SuperHub #2 Problems

I didn't want to repeat myself but have you connected a PC to the shub when its in modem mode?
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 16:10   #6
DJSADERS
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Petersfield, Hampshire, UK
Age: 35
Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
Posts: 314
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS
Re: VM SuperHub #2 Problems

do remember in modem mode only 1 ethernet port on the superhub works
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 23:04   #7
General Maximus
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: VM SuperHub #2 Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Jones View Post
My external router or the cable modem/router does not like to communicate in cable modem mode. Why...? I don't know. But if I turn off Cable Modem Mode it's fine. turn it back on I get disconnections galore. very bizarre indeed.
For starters I would want to make sure my proper router was receiving the correct ip address because it is either going to have a wan address from VM or an internal ip (192.168.0.2) from the shub. Until you get that sorted out then you are bound to have connectivity issues.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 23:20   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!
 
pip08456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 70
Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
Posts: 11,871
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: VM SuperHub #2 Problems

Why would your PC and Surface Pro 3 not be connected to the router?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 17:41   #9
Sephiroth
Wisdom & truth
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: VM SuperHub #2 Problems

F in modem mode they don't connect, then it looks like incorrect router settings or the cables not in the right ports.

SH cable in lowest Ethernet port by the coax; router cable in WAN port.
__________________
Seph.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:46.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum