On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.
13-10-2015, 14:08
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 567
|
On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.
There has been many upgrades from VM the past year or so, and there is supposedly another one scheduled for my area at the end of November, but since the last "upgrade", I haven't noticed any speed gains, if anything, a speedloss.
I have tried a speedtest and the results it has given me shows I do not even get 50% of the max speeds I could potentially get -- 22MB. Is this normal?
Appreciate any help given.
Thanks.
|
|
|
13-10-2015, 17:06
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.
no but there are a couple of things to try. My connection has been unusually flakey the last couple of days and I ran a speedtest yesterday and just now and on both occasions it would not budge over 45mbits. Yesterday I let it go and put it down to weekend congestion but I knew something was up just now because it was flattening out at too low a speed. I checked my power levels and my pre and post rs errors were in the thousands on every channels so I have just rebooted the shub and everything is back to normal now and my speedtest result has come back at 152mbits.
What device are you doing your speedtest on and is it wired or wireless because 22mbits is a very relevant and specific result?
|
|
|
13-10-2015, 18:26
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 567
|
Re: On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.
I did the speedtest on my PC using http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest through a wired connection to the router.
Whereabouts can I find the power levels, I've logged into the superhub settings page, but can't find it. Strangely as well, I've noticed I'm in router mode, despite being pretty sure I turned it off and enabled modem mode - not sure how that happened.
|
|
|
13-10-2015, 18:47
|
#4
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.
I was about to moan my ass off at how unreliable that test was because it said my download speed is half what it should be and my upload speed is <1mbit but I have just run the test on speedtest.net and it came back the same  Something dodgy is definitely going on.
|
|
|
14-10-2015, 07:50
|
#5
|
|
Perfect Soldier
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Worthing West Sussex
Age: 69
Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy
in modem mode
XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
Posts: 11,316
|
Re: On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwannabe
I did the speedtest on my PC using http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest through a wired connection to the router.
Whereabouts can I find the power levels, I've logged into the superhub settings page, but can't find it. Strangely as well, I've noticed I'm in router mode, despite being pretty sure I turned it off and enabled modem mode - not sure how that happened.
|
Click on "router status" on the login page. Top RH. Then you'll get a menu for the various stats.
__________________
History is much like an endless waltz: The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
However history will change with my coronation - Mariemaia Khushrenada
|
|
|
27-10-2015, 21:41
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 567
|
Re: On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.
After having an engineer over to fix high download power levels, I still couldn't achieve 50% of what was capable. After a hunch, I tested it without the router, and it worked perfectly. I have since gotten a newer router and it seems to work fine now.
Hopefully I'll remember to do this test next time I get an issue.
Thanks to those who replied on this thread
|
|
|
29-10-2015, 07:34
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.
great, getting a proper router is always a wise choice.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:09.
|