Suddenly I have unstable connection
23-09-2015, 10:36
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 23
|
Suddenly I have unstable connection
Hi.
Yesterday I kept getting loss of connection to the internet. My connection has been stable for years before this. Not only that, when I logged into the router I found that there was an additional pin number to enter and the password had been reset to the default.
Also the wi-fi SSID had changed and the WPA authorization had been changed which meant that non of my wifi devices worked. I changed these back to what they were before and wifi devices worked again except for my security webcams. I then found that all my port forwarding rules had been wiped out.
Today the connection is still very erratic, it seems as though the router is rebooting itself. It looks as though this is the result of a firmware update.
I would be grateful for any comments.
|
|
|
25-09-2015, 07:31
|
#2
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Suddenly I have unstable connection
The starting point for diagnosis would be to copy/paste the modem logs (upstream levels, downstream levels, network log), best if you can do this when the event occurs.
I suggest that you go to the URL 192.168.100.1 to do the above, clicking the ROUTER STATUS link top right hand corner.
When looking at the stats, please also paste the INFORMATION page so we can see your firmware version.
You have indeed received a firmware update and that's caused a factory reset.
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
25-09-2015, 14:02
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 23
|
Re: Suddenly I have unstable connection
Thanks Sephiroth. I got in touch with VM and they sorted the unstable connection.
|
|
|
25-09-2015, 16:22
|
#4
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Suddenly I have unstable connection
You're welcome. Be useful to know what they did to sort it.
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
06-10-2015, 13:21
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 23
|
Re: Suddenly I have unstable connection
It looks as if I was premature in saying VM had fixed it. In fact the issue recommenced shortly after I posted. It has reached the point now where the internet is pretty well unusable.
Two engineer visits were cancelled because it was said to be an area fault which was now fixed! It isn't. It's still as bad as ever. An engineer is booked for Friday 9th October but I have no real hope that it will not be cancelled.
As per Sephirof' comment here are the stats from the modem as of 14.00 today. I must admit that they mean nothing to me.
Can anyone help please. I'm just about ready to give up on VM
Thanks
John
Information Cable Modem EuroDOCSIS
Serial Number 2HA534US10C5C
Boot Code Version 2.3.0beta7
Software Version V2.39.02
Hardware Version 2.00
CA Key Installed
Downstream DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4 DS-5 DS-6 DS-7 DS-8
Frequency (Hz) 299000000 Hz 267000000 Hz 275000000 Hz 283000000 Hz 291000000 Hz 307000000 Hz 315000000 Hz 323000000 Hz
Lock Status(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock) Locked Locked Locked Locked Locked Locked Locked Locked
Channel ID 5 1 2 3 4 6 7 8
Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Symbol Rate (Msym/sec) 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000
Interleave Depth I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17
Power Level (dBmV) 3.7 dBmV 3.7 dBmV 3.5 dBmV 3.0 dBmV 2.6 dBmV 3.5 dBmV 2.7 dBmV 2.6 dBmV
RxMER (dB) 43.9 dB 43.8 dB 43.9 dB 43.3 dB 43.2 dB 43.8 dB 43.2 dB 42.5 dB
Upstream US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4
Channel Type 2.0 2.0 N/A N/A
Channel ID 2 1 N/A N/A
Frequency (Hz) 37600000 Hz 46200000 Hz N/A N/A
Ranging Status Success Success N/A N/A
Modulation QAM16 QAM16 N/A N/A
Symbol Rate (Sym/sec) 5120000 5120000 N/A N/A
Mini-Slot Size 128 128 N/A N/A
Power Level (dBmV) 42.0 dBmV 42.8 dBmV N/A N/A
T1 Timeouts 0 0 N/A N/A
T2 Timeouts 0 0 N/A N/A
T3 Timeouts 265 265 N/A N/A
T4 Timeouts 24 24 N/A N/A
|
|
|
06-10-2015, 13:40
|
#6
|
|
Sad Doig Fan!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 70
Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
Posts: 11,871
|
Re: Suddenly I have unstable connection
Those stats look OK.
|
|
|
06-10-2015, 13:47
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 23
|
Re: Suddenly I have unstable connection
@ pi08456
Thanks for replying.
Surely those T3 and T4 timeouts cannot be OK. These occured over a space of three hours today by the way.
John
|
|
|
06-10-2015, 13:55
|
#8
|
|
Sad Doig Fan!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 70
Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
Posts: 11,871
|
Re: Suddenly I have unstable connection
I've seen worse. Just keep an eye on them.
|
|
|
06-10-2015, 15:51
|
#9
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Suddenly I have unstable connection
Pip is wrong for a change. The T4s mean a modem reset. You need to see if the count is rising. The issue might be in the network or it could be but unlikely the Superhub on the blink.
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
06-10-2015, 18:10
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 23
|
Re: Suddenly I have unstable connection
Thanks Sefiroth
The count is rising, there are now 74 T4 timeouts and 822 T3's. Getting nowhere with VM support I'm afraid.
|
|
|
06-10-2015, 18:43
|
#11
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 70
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 10,539
|
Re: Suddenly I have unstable connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockettpots
Thanks Sefiroth
The count is rising, there are now 74 T4 timeouts and 822 T3's. Getting nowhere with VM support I'm afraid.
|
Ditto.
|
|
|
06-10-2015, 18:44
|
#12
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Suddenly I have unstable connection
This definitely needs a technician in the first instance. The problem seems to lie in the upstream. Does the upstream power move upwards towards 54 dBmv if you referesh the stats a few times? That would be a sign.
The problem could also lie in the downstream (the keep alives coming in are garbled and thus no response can be given and the VM end then reacts by raising power output from your modem) in which case the post-RS error count would be rising. For the Superhub 1 (which you have), the error count is only reported on the downstream stats screen if you log into the GUI. Perhaps you can post those stats.
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
06-10-2015, 19:23
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 23
|
Re: Suddenly I have unstable connection
Many thanks for your insights, Sephirof. When I log in to SH I don't see those stats. I am using the SH in modem mode by the way.
|
|
|
06-10-2015, 20:10
|
#14
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Suddenly I have unstable connection
Just log in with the username and password for the GUI and find the network stats for the downstream.
Post them please. The pre and post RS errors should be two columns on the right of the data.
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
07-10-2015, 08:30
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 23
|
Re: Suddenly I have unstable connection
Hi Sephiroth
When I login to the interface, because I am running the hub in modem mode presumably, the only area I can access is the Superhub settings. I can't access the Advanced Settings area.
John
---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------
In answer to your earlier post. The upstream power level remains constant at about 42 when I keep refreshing the stats.
At 9.26 this morning T3 = 2530, T4 = 222.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:24.
|