Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 50Mb Broadband Only any good for VOIP/IPCAM

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 50Mb Broadband Only any good for VOIP/IPCAM
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2015, 17:32   #1
Falkor
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 14
Falkor is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media 50Mb Broadband Only any good for VOIP/IPCAM

Hi all,

I'm new to Cable Forum and was wondering if you had any thoughts on Virgin Media 50Mb Broadband Only (unlimited) for £30.25.

I've been tolerating Talktalk for donkey's and I'm thinking of dropping them, as their BB only deal has gone up to £22.30 (this is for a 15mbps down and 512kbps up deal with no phone).

I'm thinking of taking up the VM deal above which I understand is 50mbps up and 5mbps down before losses etc (upload being 5% of this download speed). As far as I can ascertain, its fibre from the exchange to the cabinet, then coax from the cab to the house (HFC I think, please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm hoping to take advantage of the up speed, to do away with the BT land line (copper) and go VOIP using a Skype Connect Me Home Phone Adapter (ATA) or similar.
I'm also thinking of installing a security camera that will stream up to an off site location, which might chew up about 1mbps of upload bandwidth (constantly preferably).

I was wondering if anyone thinks this might be viable with the 5mbps upload (less losses) I would have available, or if there are any fair usage/traffic management implications that might be prohibitive. I was thinking I might suck it and see, starting with the VOIP, while checking usage, but not taking liberties on upload volume until I found my feet. I would appreciate any thoughts on the above, esp if anyone has already tried this sort of thing. Please forgive me if I sound naive, but I am : - )

Thanks a lot.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-09-2015, 17:39   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog
 
SnoopZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Services: Zen FTTP 910
Posts: 16,167
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media 50Mb Broadband Only any good for VOIP/IPCAM

Yes it should be fine, the good news is the 50mbps service is soon to be doubled to 100mbps and the upload is said to be 6mbps.

The 100mbps service will get upgraded to 200mbps and the upload for that will be 12mbps.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10...00-300-mb.html

I am sure someone else with a better understanding will reply later.
__________________
F1 Race Schedule and Results
https://gridhub.one/?series=F1
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 17:55   #3
Falkor
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 14
Falkor is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media 50Mb Broadband Only any good for VOIP/IPCAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Yes it should be fine, the good news is the 50mbit service is soon to be doubled to 100mbit and the upload is said to be 5-6mbit(atleast i think it is cant find it atm).

The 100mbit service will get upgraded to 200mbit and the upload for that will be 12mbit.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10...00-300-mb.html

I am sure someone else with a better understanding will reply later.
Thanks SnoopZ, that sounds hopeful. So perhaps I'd better get that booking in a bit quick, so as to eventually get the higher speed at the lower rate (presumably that's how it works). Cheers..
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 17:58   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog
 
SnoopZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Services: Zen FTTP 910
Posts: 16,167
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media 50Mb Broadband Only any good for VOIP/IPCAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
Thanks SnoopZ, that sounds hopeful. So perhaps I'd better get that booking in a bit quick, so as to eventually get the higher speed at the lower rate (presumably that's how it works). Cheers..
Be warned there is going to be a price increase soon for the standalone product though, you may find it cheaper taking another service also.

edit

I see the price you quoted is the updated price.
__________________
F1 Race Schedule and Results
https://gridhub.one/?series=F1
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 17:59   #5
progers
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Nuneaton
Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
Posts: 1,057
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts
Re: Virgin Media 50Mb Broadband Only any good for VOIP/IPCAM

I' m on the 50Meg contract and have a IP security camera, it streams no problem.

The only downside is when you are remote on a crap network and can't connect to your camera!
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 18:07   #6
Falkor
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 14
Falkor is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media 50Mb Broadband Only any good for VOIP/IPCAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
I' m on the 50Meg contract and have a IP security camera, it streams no problem.

The only downside is when you are remote on a crap network and can't connect to your camera!
Fair enough, thanks for that progers, I'll forgive VM for that, he he.

---------- Post added at 19:07 ---------- Previous post was at 19:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Be warned there is going to be a price increase soon for the standalone product though, you may find it cheaper taking another service also.

edit

I see the price you quoted is the updated price.
OK thanks for confirming that it is the updated price.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:17.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum