11-09-2015, 19:27
|
#61
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Question on speeds
There is a frustrating bit of imprecision here - or so it seems to me. Forgive me if I'm wrong.
So what's running at 105 mbps? Wired or wireless attached to the "AP"?
And if it's wireless, what's the wired speed:
a) On the "AP"
b) On the ASUS
You are, of course, in modem mode. Yes?
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
11-09-2015, 19:49
|
#62
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Wireless to the access point is 105Mbs.
The wired speed on the ASUS is 200Mb/s, via the same laptop. The same laptop gets 200Mbs wireless sitting next to the Asus.
The laptop wired to the Access Point has just recorded 208Mb/s. Yet just 105Mb/s wirelessly.
I am in modem mode.
The Cat5e is a 10M.
|
|
|
12-09-2015, 06:41
|
#63
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Question on speeds
So we've nearly boiled this down to the wireless capabilities of the "AP".
Is the "AP" a Belkin or the TP-Link Archer C2?
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
12-09-2015, 07:06
|
#64
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
Is the "AP" a Belkin or the TP-Link Archer C2?
|
It's the TP-Link. Which I bought yesterday.
|
|
|
12-09-2015, 07:18
|
#65
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone
It's the TP-Link. Which I bought yesterday.
|
... and your test was performed on the same laptop as got 200 meg on the ASUS at 5 GHz?
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
12-09-2015, 07:23
|
#66
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
... and your test was performed on the same laptop as got 2000 meg on the ASUS at 5 GHz?
|
Yep. Both times right next to each router.
|
|
|
12-09-2015, 09:06
|
#67
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Question on speeds
I am trying to do a reductio ad absurdum.
Are you certain that the AP is not doing a wireless bridge with the Asus? There is a mode on many routers that allows this.
It is almost as if it were half-duplexing.
If you have got the patience, you may wish to put the Archer as the main router having turned DHCP on and see what the wireless does then. Both near the Archer and a room away at 5Ghz.
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
12-09-2015, 11:44
|
#68
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
I am trying to do a reductio ad absurdum.
Are you certain that the AP is not doing a wireless bridge with the Asus? There is a mode on many routers that allows this.
It is almost as if it were half-duplexing.
|
How would I check?
LAN settings:
IP Address:
192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask:
255.255.255.0
WAN settings:
Connection Type: Dynamic IP
IP Address:0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask:0.0.0.0
Gateway:0.0.0.0
5Ghz:
Mode: 11 a/n/ac ixed
channel: auto:
channel width: auto
Quote:
|
If you have got the patience, you may wish to put the Archer as the main router having turned DHCP on and see what the wireless does then. Both near the Archer and a room away at 5Ghz.
|
Hmmm Massive ballache. I can't really do this today.
---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------
I'm not sure if it's connected but - when I plug an ethernet cable into my laptop, it doesn't pick up the wired connection. I have to disable the wireless adapter to pick it up.
I have also tried changing the metric in each adapter to force the wired connection but even that doesn't work.
|
|
|
12-09-2015, 12:22
|
#69
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Question on speeds
It's not a connected issue. I solved the issue by using an ASUS USB-AC56 as my wireless adapter and disabling the onboard device. When the ASUS adaptor is not plugged in, it cannot conflict.
You've confirmed that the laptop and identical wirless adaptor give 200 meg at the ASUS RT-AC68U. SO the adaptor settings are not suspect.
Youy have provided the "AP" 5GHz settings above - everything Auto. So that should allow you to work at the maximum Ethernet link speed between the two routers. Are the LEDS green on the Ethernet link between the two routers (to signify 1Gig link)?
The behaviour that I called half-duplex can be caused by another factor - though the settings you showed for the "AP" deny that factor, which is: In your Laptop --> AP WiFi 5GHz --> AP --> Ethernet --> ASUS Router path, it could be that "Auto" becomes a 1x1 radio. In which case the maximum speed would be whatever 802.11n can deliver (150meg). I may be talking a load of gollox but that level of detail is not given in any of the Archer specs.
You could change the settings for 5GHz to define the channel width to be 80MHz to force a higher speed. Me - I'd need to get my hands on the thing to bottom this out.
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
12-09-2015, 13:10
|
#70
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Warrington
Posts: 4,737
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
it will pick that up by dhcp from the main router
|
Not if he's set a static IP, he won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone
How would I check?
LAN settings:
IP Address:
192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask:
255.255.255.0
WAN settings:
Connection Type: Dynamic IP
IP Address:0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask:0.0.0.0
Gateway:0.0.0.0
5Ghz:
Mode: 11 a/n/ac ixed
channel: auto:
channel width: auto
Hmmm Massive ballache. I can't really do this today.
---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------
I'm not sure if it's connected but - when I plug an ethernet cable into my laptop, it doesn't pick up the wired connection. I have to disable the wireless adapter to pick it up.
I have also tried changing the metric in each adapter to force the wired connection but even that doesn't work.
|
I suspect the problem is the wireless configuration of the AP. Same as with your Asus, there'll be channel configuration settings. Make sure you're using 5Ghz if possible, make sure it's on a channel different to the Asus and so on.
|
|
|
12-09-2015, 13:33
|
#71
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan
I suspect the problem is the wireless configuration of the AP. Same as with your Asus, there'll be channel configuration settings. Make sure you're using 5Ghz if possible, make sure it's on a channel different to the Asus and so on.
|
It's 5Ghz.
Asus:
Wireless Mode: Auto
Channel bandwidth: 40Hz
Channel Mode: Auto
Control Channel :Auto
AP:
Mode: 11 a/n/ac mixed
channel: auto
channel width: auto
I've tried mixing them round to different channels but no different.
|
|
|
18-09-2015, 07:59
|
#72
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Overnight my wired speed has decreased from 200Mbps to 100Mbps.
Is this a VMedia change?
|
|
|
18-09-2015, 08:10
|
#73
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Question on speeds
You can tell by examining (and posting) your OPERATIONAL CONFIG from the ROUTER STATUS pages.
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
18-09-2015, 08:18
|
#74
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Warrington
Posts: 4,737
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone
Overnight my wired speed has decreased from 200Mbps to 100Mbps.
Is this a VMedia change?
|
Given that 200Mbit is not an official tier just yet and they've just been trailing it here and there, I'm going to suggest you're back to what you're supposed to be on.
|
|
|
18-09-2015, 08:22
|
#75
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan
Given that 200Mbit is not an official tier just yet and they've just been trailing it here and there, I'm going to suggest you're back to what you're supposed to be on.
|
  After just spending all the ££ to get a wired 200Mbs connection in the other side of my house, my wired connection is now no different to my wireless connection.
These things are sent to try us. Not Virgin's fault. It was fun while it lasted.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:54.
|