09-09-2015, 08:13
|
#31
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
what device are you running the speed test on? If it is the Galaxy S3 you mentioned previously then I wouldn't worry about it, I only got 20mbits on mine yet if I try my S4 then I get 60mbits.
|
No, it's the laptop that gets 200Mb/s next to the router
---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq
I've already told you several times what the cause is. Interference and crap devices. It's like going down the M25 in London and whining "I just don't get it" when you can't do 70mph flat out.
|
So why can I not pick up any intereference on the channels I am using? Inssider shows nothing.
|
|
|
09-09-2015, 10:01
|
#32
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone
So why can I not pick up any intereference on the channels I am using? Inssider shows nothing.
|
Because as I've said dozens of times, Inssider cannot show interference.
|
|
|
09-09-2015, 10:13
|
#33
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
I'll just stop trying then and be happy with receiving a fifth of what I pay for.
|
|
|
09-09-2015, 10:52
|
#34
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Question on speeds
You're already getting 100% of what you pay for.
You do not pay for exclusive access to WiFi spectrum.
|
|
|
10-09-2015, 08:31
|
#35
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Warrington
Posts: 4,737
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone
I just don't get it.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone
Sitting approx 3m under my Asus router through the ceiling on the 152Mb/s package via the 2.4hz band
|
|
|
|
11-09-2015, 08:22
|
#36
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
So I got some CAT5 and experimented hardwiring a Belkin N600 dual band router as my access point.
I managed 93 Mb/s down.
While this is ok, I'd like to know if there is a cheap router out there that I can use as an access point that will let me get the full (or closer to) 152Mb/s?
Thanks.
|
|
|
11-09-2015, 08:39
|
#37
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Warrington
Posts: 4,737
|
Re: Question on speeds
Are you sure the CAT5 cable isn't the problem? It's not usually capable of gigabit speeds.
|
|
|
11-09-2015, 08:49
|
#38
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan
Are you sure the CAT5 cable isn't the problem?
|
I've got another one to try later, so I'll let you know.
Quote:
|
It's not usually capable of gigabit speeds.
|
What isn't capable?
|
|
|
11-09-2015, 08:52
|
#39
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Warrington
Posts: 4,737
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone
What isn't capable?
|
CAT5 cabling. CAT5e or CAT6 for gigabit. Some CAT5 cables can do it on short runs but there's no guarantee.
What model, exactly, is your Belkin router?
EDIT: Is it this? http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Wireles.../dp/B004N625AA
Because if so, it states it does not have gigabit ports. That's your problem, not the cabling (Though CAT5 is rubbish anyway).
You do need a new router. What is your budget?
|
|
|
11-09-2015, 09:07
|
#40
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Yeah pretty sure that's the model.
Budget is £60
---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 ----------
This any good?
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...81771-pdt.html
|
|
|
11-09-2015, 09:22
|
#41
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Question on speeds
The Archer C2 has a spec suitable for your Virgin Media connection. I like TP-Link kit.
Btw, many people say Cat 5 to include Cat 5e. It's printed on the side of the cable.
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
11-09-2015, 09:26
|
#42
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Now I need to figure out how I turn it into an access point and give it a static IP address and al that I expect?
|
|
|
11-09-2015, 09:32
|
#43
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan
Are you sure the CAT5 cable isn't the problem? It's not usually capable of gigabit speeds.
|
Cat 5 is always capable of gigabit speeds. Gigabit ethernet was designed specifically to work on Cat 5 cable.
|
|
|
11-09-2015, 09:39
|
#44
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Really sorry for going over old ground here. But can I just check the process for turning this new router into an acces point:
Superhub -> Asus -> wired via Cat5e > New router >>>>(Does this then have to be WIRED to a pc or can I do this wirelessly??)
Disable DHCP and give it a static IP address.
Is that more or less correct?
|
|
|
11-09-2015, 10:05
|
#45
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone
Really sorry for going over old ground here. But can I just check the process for turning this new router into an acces point:
Superhub -> Asus -> wired via Cat5e > New router >>>>(Does this then have to be WIRED to a pc or can I do this wirelessly??)
Disable DHCP and give it a static IP address.
Is that more or less correct?
|
This is how I see it:
Superhub -> Asus -> wired via Cat5e > New router (DHCP off) -> wired or wireless.
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:54.
|