30-08-2015, 14:50
|
#1
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Question on speeds
Setup:
VM Superhub
modem mode into an Asus RT n66u
I pay for 200MB
My laptop receives lovely 198mb when 3 metres below the router, on the 5Ghz.
But the 2.5Ghz only receives a maximum of 30MB throughout the house. Even when my smartphone is lying next to the router it is only getting 20Mb.
The same smartphone receives 70Mb/s on my friends superhub 2. Any reason for this? I've tried different channels and modes but no joy. Thanks.
|
|
|
30-08-2015, 15:38
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone
I pay for 200MB
|
really? 1.6gbits doesn't exist yet, neither does 200mbits so the most you are paying for is 152mbits. Shub1 is notoriously pants for wifi so I would suggest that you either keep it on 5ghz or ring up for a shub2 which is dual band and also better for wifi.
|
|
|
30-08-2015, 15:44
|
#3
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Pretend it's 152 mbits for a second then.
If I keep it on 5ghz the coverage is reduced by about 50%.
Am I able to order a superhub 2 free of charge from Virgin?
|
|
|
30-08-2015, 16:48
|
#4
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Question on speeds
yup but it depends who you get through to. Ideally you would go through to tech support and tell them you are having problems with your wifi. Instead of just admitting shub1 is pants and send you a shub2 they'll want to go through the rigmarole of changing the settings on the shub. Unfortunately I have seen quite a few posts recently which made you think you was trying to get blood out of a stone when trying to get a shub2 from tech support. I think pretty much everyone rings back, goes through to retentions and gets one posted out for free and you can swap it over yourself in 2 mins.
Now I think about it though dude, I would try tech support first because 152mbit users are supposed to be on shub2s anyway. If you ring up and tell them the wifi doesn't work they should want to give you a shub2 anyway from a paperwork point of view to make sure everything is within their guidelines/operating practices.
|
|
|
30-08-2015, 17:24
|
#5
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Thanks for this. I presume it's the normal number and "problems with your broadband" etc?
---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------
20 mins on phone fobbing me off. Then the line gets disconnected.
Really struggling to maintain a calm exterior. They could at least ring me back.
|
|
|
30-08-2015, 17:56
|
#6
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Question on speeds
I was worried that was going to happen. Ring 151 then you want options 1, 4 and 5. Option one is bb, phone and tv, then option 4 for change your options and service and then option 5 for thinking of leaving us, that will put you through to retentions. Try and stay calm and explain that you have a superhub1 and have continuous problems with the wifi and are not benefiting from the full speed of your 152mbit tier. You have rang tech support and they tried different things to fix it and ended up putting the phone down on you. You are very disappointed with their poor customer service and would like to complain as all you asked for was a superhub2 which you feel would remedy the problem and they have refused.
The key words to get in are superhub1, 152mbits and superhub2. They'll put two and two together and I can guarantee they'll want to throw a shub2 at you for free and apologise profusely.
You really shouldn't have a problem with retentions but on the off chance that you don't get the desired outcome you can ring back 0800 tomorrow. With it being a weekend evening, if you ring now you are guaranteed to go through to India. If you ring tomorrow morning there is a great chance you'll go through to Scotland. I would try now though tbh, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
|
|
|
30-08-2015, 18:10
|
#7
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Just spent 38 minutes on the phone to India only to be cut off. Thnks for your advice. I will ring retentions tomorrow.
I can't deal with this now.
|
|
|
30-08-2015, 18:24
|
#8
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Question on speeds
Np dude, please come back and let us know how you get on.
|
|
|
30-08-2015, 20:02
|
#9
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone
Just spent 38 minutes on the phone to India only to be cut off. Thnks for your advice. I will ring retentions tomorrow.
I can't deal with this now.
|
Tuesday will be a better bet. It a bank holiday on Monday.
|
|
|
|
30-08-2015, 22:43
|
#10
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone
Setup:
VM Superhub
modem mode into an Asus RT n66u
I pay for 200MB
My laptop receives lovely 198mb when 3 metres below the router, on the 5Ghz.
But the 2.5Ghz only receives a maximum of 30MB throughout the house. Even when my smartphone is lying next to the router it is only getting 20Mb.
The same smartphone receives 70Mb/s on my friends superhub 2. Any reason for this? I've tried different channels and modes but no joy. Thanks.
|
Maybe mon General missed this. You are in modem mode so whichever Superhub you have doesn't matter.
The usual reason for 30 meg on 2.4 GHz is that the router may not be set up for 40MHz channel bandwidth. Your wireless mode should be set to AUTO.
Could that be the problem?
Also tell us about your 200 meg?
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
30-08-2015, 22:48
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 153
|
Re: Question on speeds
So what's the Asus RT n66u doing?
(Sorry Seph - you got in just before me)
|
|
|
31-08-2015, 09:13
|
#12
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
Maybe mon General missed this. You are in modem mode so whichever Superhub you have doesn't matter.
|
Oh. That's a pain.
Quote:
The usual reason for 30 meg on 2.4 GHz is that the router may not be set up for 40MHz channel bandwidth. Your wireless mode should be set to AUTO.
Could that be the problem?
|
Tried this and still maximum I get is about 32mbs.
Wireless Mode Auto
Channel bandwidth 40
Control Channel Tried them all
Quote:
|
Also tell us about your 200 meg?
|
Assuming you're not picking me up on my bits and bytes discrepancies  , I get 200mb on 5ghz on my laptop. Nothing else in my house even comes close to getting this.
|
|
|
31-08-2015, 09:31
|
#13
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Question on speeds
Sh1 max-out at 200Mbits and SH2 max-out at 300Mbs. I would ask for an upgrade, it's up to you.
Perhaps your Asus is faulty or your wifi card (what is it?)
what is your smartphone?
I do not expect this to be the problem given the performance at 5Hz, but on 2.4 you could try
Channel bandwidth:dynamic 20/40
The Asus has very good throughput on 2.4G although it sucks in range
|
|
|
|
31-08-2015, 09:47
|
#14
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv
Broadband
150Mb/s.
Superhub 3
V6
Posts: 817
|
Re: Question on speeds
Yeah tried all those combinations.
The smartphone is samsung s3. The Mrs' s3 mini gets slightly better performance. But as I said, my S3 got far higher range using a mate's 100mb service on a superhub2.
The range of the wifi has always been disappointing, for a router that cost me £110. Both bands. So much so that I've had to use a netgear router as an access point. I don't suppose that makes a difference?
|
|
|
31-08-2015, 10:33
|
#15
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Question on speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone
But as I said, my S3 got far higher range using a mate's 100mb service on a superhub2.
|
The S3's maximum speed on 2.4Ghz is around 30-40Mbps under ideal conditions.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:13.
|