Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 22:55   #736
Mr Smooth
Inactive

Mr Smooth is on a distinguished roadMr Smooth is on a distinguished road
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Roku has 4oD , Demand 5 , ITV Player , BBC IPlayer , Netflix , Now TV , YouTube the only major one missing sadly is Amazon Instant
If only it did, then I would have no need for the Fire TV, and I would have bought one a long time ago.

The WD Live was ideal for Local streaming, Iplayer, and Netflix, with the TIVO doing all the rest (and netflix). Latest firmware knackered the Local streaming after using iplayer which pretty much sealed its fate for me. So Fire TV here I come!
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2014, 08:32   #737
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Surprised they didn't get iPlayer, ITV player or 4oD for the launch, especially as it's only really Android with some modifications. Would have thought a lot of UK consumers would rule it out without those.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:45   #738
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You obviously need the little box to get the "Prime" service from Amazon, yes? So in other words you'd need to wait till October launch? If i'm missing something here please correct me, I'm pretty interested in this from Amazon, but have never looked into it before, I've used the free 30 day trial from Netflix, but obviously that was done through the Tivo, am I correct in saying that you cannot access Amazon's Prime in this way?

Thanks.
Amazon Instant is not yet available via the Tivo although Amazon has been invited to enable the service by this means.

I have not seen any confirmation that Amazon are actively looking at this as an option, and I am now concerned that the arrival of their new box may dissuade them from going down this route.

Pity, I was looking forward to this. I don't want to use a range of alternative technologies to access more content, I want it all in one place!
Old 04-09-2014, 14:32   #739
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Amazon Instant is not yet available via the Tivo although Amazon has been invited to enable the service by this means.

I have not seen any confirmation that Amazon are actively looking at this as an option, and I am now concerned that the arrival of their new box may dissuade them from going down this route.

Pity, I was looking forward to this. I don't want to use a range of alternative technologies to access more content, I want it all in one place!

Agree with that 100%.
Old 04-09-2014, 15:00   #740
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't want to use a range of alternative technologies to access more content, I want it all in one place!
Quote:
Agree with that 100%.
As I think I may have jokingly said before, you need to talk VM into adding a DVD/Bluray player to the Tivo box

A bluray player is quite possibly the best option for just 'one extra box' alongside Tivo as I'm pretty sure you can get them with both Netflix and Amazon video. Many will allow you to change the DNS settings for use with Unblockus etc. They also have some catchup services (though those are covered by Tivo anyway). Some will also stream networked video via DLNA. And, of course, they will play any DVD/Bluray discs that you have.

The Amazon box is nice and small, but at full price, it is in the smart bluray price range which is capable of more.
Old 04-09-2014, 15:18   #741
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

You could also add the game consoles into that category granted they are more expensive but if your a gamer also they'll do all the things you mention.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a DVR which gives you access to all the streaming services , I've read whispers that YouView are in talks with the likes of Netflix and Amazon they already have access to all terrestrial catch up and Now TV movies (SD only at moment) however I can't see this happening overnight.
Old 04-09-2014, 15:32   #742
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You could also add the game consoles into that category granted they are more expensive but if your a gamer also they'll do all the things you mention..
You're right MM.

I tend to not think of those because I don't use a games console and for someone who doesn't, the prices of such things are just not worth it when a sub £100 box will do everything less games.

Actually, games is one thing that the Amazon Fire TV does that a BR player likely doesn't. Though not being a gamer, I'm not sure how they rate.
Old 04-09-2014, 16:45   #743
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

very happy with my ps3 under the tivo giving me netflix us, amazon prime, now tv and nba tv
Old 04-09-2014, 17:36   #744
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Given that the forthcoming TiVo software release changes things a lot with the move away from Flash / Air to Haxe it wouldn't be worth it to release new apps right now so maybe there are new ones ahead. There is still apparently support for Flash but for more complex apps (e.g. non games) i assume it doesn't make sense to use it anymore.

Can't remember if this has been shared before here, but this is the developer presentation on the new TiVo software https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Bp...ature=youtu.be. Includes running a cloud DVR version of the TiVo software on an Amazon Fire TV box.

Amazon have made it clear that they're after the cable companies and the main goals for the box of better search, greater openness and good performance were all a reaction to the weaknesses of current STBs. Reviews seem to suggest it hasn't quite got things right on the search and navigation yet though.
Old 04-09-2014, 22:28   #745
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

To be honest, as Old Boy says, all we want is to be able to access all the Netflix, Amazon, etc etc offers, through the Tivo, or whatever Virgin has available, people want it simple, they don't want to be adding all sorts of different boxes cluttering up their living room just so they can access some decent TV shows.
Old 04-09-2014, 23:06   #746
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
To be honest, as Old Boy says, all we want is to be able to access all the Netflix, Amazon, etc etc offers, through the Tivo, or whatever Virgin has available, people want it simple, they don't want to be adding all sorts of different boxes cluttering up their living room just so they can access some decent TV shows.
But if/until Amazon is added to Tivo, most people have a DVD player, so replacing that with a smart bluray player that does streaming video services, gives you all that you want and does not increase you current box count,
Old 04-09-2014, 23:21   #747
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
But if/until Amazon is added to Tivo, most people have a DVD player, so replacing that with a smart bluray player that does streaming video services, gives you all that you want and does not increase you current box count,

Ok I see what you are saying, but isn't it the case that the blu-ray player needs to be connected to the internet? I have a blu-ray player which sits neatly just below my TV on a nice TV shelf, so how do I go about accessing the Netflix/Amazon services through the blu-ray player?
Old 05-09-2014, 00:12   #748
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Ok I see what you are saying, but isn't it the case that the blu-ray player needs to be connected to the internet? I have a blu-ray player which sits neatly just below my TV on a nice TV shelf, so how do I go about accessing the Netflix/Amazon services through the blu-ray player?
Many smart bluray players are wifi enabled.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:24   #749
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Whilst my bluray came out before the smart bluray players, so I cant access any VOD content, but it is connected to the web via a ethernet cable into the superhub thingy so I can access all the BD Live stuff.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:03   #750
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Thanks for the replies guys.
Closed Thread