Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Annoying Android adverts

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Annoying Android adverts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2014, 07:29   #1
Osem
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Annoying Android adverts

For the last few days when I check my phone (Android 4.2) I often find a full screen advert has appeared on my home screen which I have close before I can do anything else. If I then check recent apps used via the home screen button, Google Firewall (which I never remember installing) shows up as the most recent so I'm wondering if this might be the cause as the adverts do seem to be linked to Google. I haven't downloaded anything new for ages so I'm assuming that if this isn't the case, one of my other apps has updated and this has brought with it these annoying adverts. Is there any easy way I can find out where they're originating from and either delete the source app or just stop the adverts appearing?

TIA as always.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2014, 08:44   #2
BenMcr
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Annoying Android adverts

Never heard of Google Firewall.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:56   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog
 
SnoopZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Services: Zen FTTP 910
Posts: 16,200
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Annoying Android adverts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
For the last few days when I check my phone (Android 4.2) I often find a full screen advert has appeared on my home screen which I have close before I can do anything else. If I then check recent apps used via the home screen button, Google Firewall (which I never remember installing) shows up as the most recent so I'm wondering if this might be the cause as the adverts do seem to be linked to Google. I haven't downloaded anything new for ages so I'm assuming that if this isn't the case, one of my other apps has updated and this has brought with it these annoying adverts. Is there any easy way I can find out where they're originating from and either delete the source app or just stop the adverts appearing?

TIA as always.
Uninstall it and find out, it will be coming from an app for sure.
__________________
F1 Race Schedule and Results
https://gridhub.one/?series=F1
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 13:07   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Annoying Android adverts

No such thing as Google Firewall. Sounds like spyware/adware.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 17:38   #5
rogerdraig
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,509
rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig
Re: Annoying Android adverts

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droidwall.free
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 17:49   #6
Osem
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Annoying Android adverts

Thanks guys.

Right, the app is called Gfirewall and there's another called GSearch both of which are using the Google 'G' symbol to make them look like they're official Google apps.

I have no idea where they came from but I did a search and found other people have this problem and these apps reinstall themselves when deleted. Anyone know how I can remove them permanently please?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 18:04   #7
joglynne
Born again teenager.
 
joglynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,924
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Annoying Android adverts

I found this on the Phandroid forum. No other feed back whether it works but it could be worth a try.
Quote:
I quarantined gfirewall and gsearch but something else was reinstalling them.

I noticed an app called "Play Store" which was made to look like Google but its package is called com.uucun4470.android.cms. I quarantined this and guess what... no more full page ads and gsearch and gfirewall have not reinstalled themselves.
http://androidforums.com/android-app...gfirewall.html
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
joglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 18:24   #8
Osem
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Annoying Android adverts

Thanks Jo I just found PlayStore (which also looked like the official Google app) and have stopped it. There was no option to uninstall it. I didn't install any of these things so can't think why this has just started happening. I've had the phone for quite a few months with no such issues before.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 19:09   #9
Hom3r
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
 
Hom3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,397
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Annoying Android adverts

I use AirPush Detector

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...detector&hl=en

tell you which programs are dodge and lets you delete them
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 19:34   #10
joglynne
Born again teenager.
 
joglynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,924
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Annoying Android adverts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I use AirPush Detector

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...detector&hl=en

tell you which programs are dodge and lets you delete them
That sounds like a good app for anyone operating on anything below 4.1 Hom3r. I wonder what it will pick up on Osem's Android 4.2? I'd be interested to find out.
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
joglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 18:14   #11
Osem
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Annoying Android adverts

Thanks Homer. OK after a couple of days the adverts have just reappeared. Even though the suspect version of 'playstore' remains disabled, GSearch and GFirewall reappeared. I'd just uninstalled them again when I found the Airpush suggestion so have downloaded that anyway and run a scan. It reported nothing presumably because the 2 apps have gone for now. I'll wait until they reappear then try again and see what the result is and let you know.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 18:30   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog
 
SnoopZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Services: Zen FTTP 910
Posts: 16,200
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Annoying Android adverts

Do a hard reset to wipe the phone.
__________________
F1 Race Schedule and Results
https://gridhub.one/?series=F1
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 19:57   #13
Osem
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Annoying Android adverts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Do a hard reset to wipe the phone.
Yikes that sounds a bit drastic. I guess that'd be my last resort however.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 20:13   #14
Hom3r
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
 
Hom3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,397
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Annoying Android adverts

You could try and read the reviews on apps you installed over at google play, people there with say if any proved dodgy.
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 20:29   #15
Osem
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Annoying Android adverts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
You could try and read the reviews on apps you installed over at google play, people there with say if any proved dodgy.
Things is I haven't downloaded any for quite a long time and these ads just started appearing less than a week ago. There are loads of apps I don't recognise on my phone so is there any way I can see when apps were actually downloaded?

There's a reference to a process 'com.zgs.gg.pack' in what little I have found about these apps but that means nothing to me.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 14:15.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum