Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | home network to boost wireless

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

home network to boost wireless

Old 27-12-2013, 23:38   #1
muz
Inactive

muz is an unknown quantity at this point
home network to boost wireless

in need of help please.

at my parents house and as always i am the one to fix their every technical issue. this time its an ipad and apple tv they got for christmas, but using their Huawei HG533 router wireless is terrible when 2 metres away from the router (situated upstairs).

I have read many problems that this is a reoccuring theme with the Huawei, they also have a belkin f5d7632-4, is there any way i can situate this downstairs and wirelessly connect this to the Huawei upstairs to boost the wifi?

Any help would be widely appreciated as i am here until sunday and spent the last 2 days, plugging/unplugging, changing channels etc etc with no success.

Thank you in advance

---------- Post added at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was at 23:33 ----------

as a second point, wifi signal on my mac using the belkin is always on full... when i do a speed test wirelessly next to the router, i get download speeds of 13mb, sat next to the tv in the living room i get 5mb... however the apple tv will just keep spinning.

using the huawei, next to the router i get speed tests of 14mb, and next to the tv it drops to 0.05mb...
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-12-2013, 00:59   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: home network to boost wireless

Have been having a similar problem at my parents where there was very little wireless internet upstairs making it impossible to connect a Nexus 10 tablet and not great with my laptop.

Dad unknown to me went out and bought a Belkin range extender, which is situated upstairs on the landing and i now have full signal on both those devices, so a similar wireless access point may do the trick for you.

You could also go the home plug route, or buy a better modem/router with a more powerful wireless range.
Old 28-12-2013, 01:05   #3
muz
Inactive

hey snoopZ!

thank you for your prompt response.

as mentioned, the signal strength doesnt appear bad, as strangely i still have full bars on my wifi indicator. i really dont want to spend any money trying to fix and would like some advice on how the situation can be improved with the instruments we have!

any ideas?

i am taking a real stab in the dark...

belkin router i am trying to use as the primary and connected to ADSL, IP 192.168.2.1

Huawei i am trying to use as slave, but i cant change the IP from 192.168.1.1... am i already doing something horribly wrong?
Old 28-12-2013, 01:08   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Hi muz, i basically haven't got a clue but i am sure someone tomorrow will come along with more ideas!
Old 28-12-2013, 01:12   #5
muz
Inactive

thanks for your honesty/sympathy & support!!!