Can I replace BT Home Hub with my own router?
17-11-2013, 12:50
|
#16
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Can I replace BT Home Hub with my own router?
The Homehub may be still trying to establish a PPPoE connection which could confuse things. I've never seen that though, always worked fine for me using it as just an additional wireless AP - though admittedly it was never very good at it anyway. Home Hub 5 is way better :P
|
|
|
18-11-2013, 18:48
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bridgend, UK
Age: 55
Services: FreeSat, BT Infinity
Posts: 116
|
Re: Can I replace BT Home Hub with my own router?
Update - I noticed a 'familiar' slowing down of the router. This thread solved it: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Router_Slowdown
However, now ntop doesn't seem to send any data to: http://localhost:3000/
Will keep tinkering...
|
|
|
19-11-2013, 05:44
|
#18
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bridgend, UK
Age: 55
Services: FreeSat, BT Infinity
Posts: 116
|
Re: Can I replace BT Home Hub with my own router?
Quote:
Originally Posted by __spc__
|
In solving the slow-down issue, I close the ports that ntop tracks - we are heavy users of P2P (Netflix etc. and we use XBox Live). I guess the WRT54G can;t handle BT Infinity broadband, with multiple P2P device connections...
What I have now done is replace the WRT54G with the BT HH3 as my internet gateway, but have included the WRT54G on my LAN, piping everything through the BT HH3, and so far it seems to be working nicely.
|
|
|
19-11-2013, 13:58
|
#19
|
|
XIV
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Crawley
Age: 36
Services: Three Unlimited
Posts: 16,924
|
Re: Can I replace BT Home Hub with my own router?
Why don't you buy a new router that can run open source firmware ?
__________________
“Never ask a liar why they lied. To explain it, they'd have to lie again”
Fernando Hidalgo
|
|
|
19-11-2013, 16:16
|
#20
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bridgend, UK
Age: 55
Services: FreeSat, BT Infinity
Posts: 116
|
Re: Can I replace BT Home Hub with my own router?
That's the conclusion I've come to :-)
|
|
|
19-11-2013, 17:49
|
#21
|
|
XIV
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Crawley
Age: 36
Services: Three Unlimited
Posts: 16,924
|
Re: Can I replace BT Home Hub with my own router?
Which router are you going for?
__________________
“Never ask a liar why they lied. To explain it, they'd have to lie again”
Fernando Hidalgo
|
|
|
19-11-2013, 19:43
|
#22
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Can I replace BT Home Hub with my own router?
The WRT54G can only really handle 20-30Mbps on a good day, with no extra services running. Anything more is going to cause slowdowns.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:03.
|