Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
25-08-2013, 12:36
|
#61
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
Sorry but in my opinion you've missed one of TIVO's major strengths and this coming from someone who only uses it a few times a month , Search is easily one of its best functions and is probably a market leader in the PVR market.
|
Happy to add it MM. If Netflix does get added to Tivo, then I believe the search would also bring up titles on Netflix? (as per the US Premier Tivo which the VM one is based on).
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 12:41
|
#62
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
Happy to add it MM. If Netflix does get added to Tivo, then I believe the search would also bring up titles on Netflix? (as per the US Premier Tivo which the VM one is based on).
|
Exactly which makes it really handy for movie fans with multiple accounts , especially if Lovefilm and Netflix were available. VM TIVO would then return results from Netflix , Lovefilm , Sky Movies and Virgin Movies On Demand not too mention the many films aired on the numerous FTA and pay tv channels.
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 12:47
|
#63
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbrighton
You see, I don't need all the functionality that Tivo offers. I got bored of the Tivo 'suggestions' after about a month. I find the thumbs up/down thing just gimmicky. I have never needed to record anything let alone use three tuners. Because the menus are so slow, I just CBA to use it.
What I want is to be able to use menus quickly, without the endless clicking to access anything. The Horizon looks like that it does it far better than Tivo and it looks stylish as well. You can watch the TV channel in full screen while accessing the menus. Tivo, you just get a crappy little box in the corner!
I hope eventually we will be going to Horizon and dumping Tivo! 
|
If you never need to record anything, why are you bothered about what PVR Virgin uses?
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 13:29
|
#64
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Birmingham
Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
Posts: 309
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Tivo wouldn't be so bad if they put a rocket up its backside. Annoyingly slow and clunky.
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 14:09
|
#65
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
Exactly which makes it really handy for movie fans with multiple accounts , especially if Lovefilm and Netflix were available. VM TIVO would then return results from Netflix , Lovefilm , Sky Movies and Virgin Movies On Demand not too mention the many films aired on the numerous FTA and pay tv channels.
|
My only issue is that it brings up results from accounts you don't have - ie. I don't have Sky movies so I don't want results from that service. Especially since Virgin aren't gaining from marketing it.
__________________
Who gives a @*#$ about an Oxford comma?
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 14:38
|
#66
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,059
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech
Tivo wouldn't be so bad if they put a rocket up its backside. Annoyingly slow and clunky.
|
You are entitled to your opinion - I disagree with it....
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 14:55
|
#67
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m
My only issue is that it brings up results from accounts you don't have - ie. I don't have Sky movies so I don't want results from that service. Especially since Virgin aren't gaining from marketing it.
|
I've just searched Jack Reacher which is currently airing on Sky Movies premiere it only finds the Sky Movies On Demand version so it must ignore linear channels you aren't subscribed to.
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 15:21
|
#68
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
It shouldn't bring that up either though really, just a Virgin Movies listing (if its still rentable).
|
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 15:30
|
#69
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
I've just searched Jack Reacher which is currently airing on Sky Movies premiere it only finds the Sky Movies On Demand version so it must ignore linear channels you aren't subscribed to.
|
Yes, but that's my point. Because I don't have the channels I don't have on demand, so I don't want those results returned either.
__________________
Who gives a @*#$ about an Oxford comma?
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 16:33
|
#70
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m
Yes, but that's my point. Because I don't have the channels I don't have on demand, so I don't want those results returned either.
|
I understand what your saying , I guess that's a question for spider or one of the VM staff , Sky search results return all channels and On Demand whether you subscribe or not so VM's implementation at least only shows results from the linear channel within your package.
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 18:57
|
#71
|
|
Do I care what you think
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cardiff South Wales
Age: 75
Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Posts: 5,624
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
What is the point of googleing CoxTV? there is no way we will be getting their box.
Sadly there is a chance we may get lumbered with the Horizon box to replace Tivo at some point in the future.
All the other things that Horizon has over Tivo could be added to the Tivo box.
|
Not arguing with it could be added. Just showing what is out there. the cox TV site shows what the Horizon setup could offer. Reach for the stars not a second floor apartment !!!
__________________
No point in being pessimistic. You know it won`t work.
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 19:24
|
#72
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
I understand what your saying , I guess that's a question for spider or one of the VM staff
|
Actually I didn't know it did that. So I can't say whether it's by accident or design.
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 21:00
|
#73
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Birmingham
Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
Posts: 309
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
You are entitled to your opinion - I disagree with it....
|
You may, and you may be happy with a slow and clunky box, but I get annoyed with boxes that are slow and the Tivo is. I've had four all the same, friends and family had them and they were same, many have had them taken back out.
It just needs speeding up, I'm used to boxes with instant feedback, not press a button, wait, press again wait, press again wait. Because if you press as you would with a decent box when the box decides to do something it then remembers all the button presses and you're likely to go past what you wanted.
Box is OK, just not slick.
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 21:31
|
#74
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,059
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
I don't think the box is slow and clunky - you are stating an opinion as fact, and basing your proposition on what I regard as an incorrect premise.
You can repeat it as many times as you wish - doesn't make it a fact.....
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 22:56
|
#75
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Birmingham
Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
Posts: 309
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
I don't think the box is slow and clunky - you are stating an opinion as fact, and basing your proposition on what I regard as an incorrect premise.
You can repeat it as many times as you wish - doesn't make it a fact.....
|
Well it's a FACT ALL the Tivo boxes I've used are slow and clunky.
I am used to using other boxes that have instant feedback. The Tivo compared to other non-cable boxes ARE slow.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:30.
|