Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
23-08-2013, 11:49
|
#46
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase001
Liberty Global appear to offer it in other markets,
http://www.libertyglobal.com/PDF/hor...chure-2012.pdf
I personally don't like the Tivo offered by VM, I don't find the remote or the user interface that intuitive. The biggest bug bare I have with it is that they have removed all the nice features that it's capable of.
I guess if the Horizon box was introduced they would remove features from that too!
Why VM remove these feature is beyond my comprehension, similar thing with the Router/Hub where they have disabled the ability to port forward! Why????????????
|
You can port forward the super hub, I did it yesterday using a handy guide on the official site. What features are missing from the UK TiVo?
__________________
Who gives a @*#$ about an Oxford comma?
|
|
|
23-08-2013, 12:01
|
#47
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sompting, West Sussex
Age: 62
Services: 1TB Tivo, "Big Kahuna"
Posts: 419
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Agreed. My Webcam is "always on" using port forwarding
|
|
|
23-08-2013, 17:50
|
#48
|
|
Rise above the players
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 with 360, ITVX, 4+, Prime, Netflix, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount+, Discovery+, HBO Max
Posts: 15,514
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
As Ben has pointed out, Tivo can be just used as a standard box for recording single shows or series links from the EPG. You don't need to go near the qother stuff if you don't want it/need it.
I don't get what your problem is.
|
I agree with you, passingbat. I get completely that some people can't cope with the additional features, but all they have to do is ignore them. It's dead easy to just watch Tv, record and watch recordings, that's all they need to do. It's a piece of cake. Even my wif3 can do it and she hates computers.
|
|
|
23-08-2013, 20:40
|
#49
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Birmingham
Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
Posts: 309
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
Most of the customer feedback Virgin Media get about TiVo is positive, and where there are issues, Virgin Media have listened and made changes where possible e.g. Reminders. Some of what is still outstanding is reliant on core TiVo changes, so VM (and other companies that use TiVo) are reliant on TiVo making those updates.
|
We don't have a proper reminder, we have that awful remind/record. Don't use it because I want only remind, don't want it trying to record or moaning at me, because of other things going on.
---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------
I have a 1TB Tivo, it does a job, not very well in my opinion, too slow and clunky, cumbersome and a right PITA at times.
I like additional features when they work well and not slow and clunky to use.
I'm a hardware engineer myself, have been for over 24 years and also been a programmer, so not like I find the box complicated or anything, it's just slow, clunky and cumbersome.
|
|
|
24-08-2013, 06:05
|
#50
|
|
Do I care what you think
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cardiff South Wales
Age: 75
Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Posts: 5,624
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin201002
At the risk of sounding like a complete clown, what is this? I like the sound of it.------- Post added at 08:12 ---------- Previous post was at 08:1 ----------
|
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/greaterlouisiana/home.cox
Sorry only just seen this.
Check this out. I am not "knocking Tivo" just showing what is out there
__________________
No point in being pessimistic. You know it won`t work.
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 03:12
|
#51
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brighton
Services: VM VIP
Posts: 22
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
I like Tivo but the Horizon UI looks far superior and more fun to use. Tivo's UI is just too slow and clunky with graphics that is more 1990 than state of the art that Horizon is using.
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 06:39
|
#52
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbrighton
I like Tivo but the Horizon UI looks far superior and more fun to use. Tivo's UI is just too slow and clunky with graphics that is more 1990 than state of the art that Horizon is using.
|
Style over substance?
Give me functionality over style any day. There is key functionality on Tivo that is missing on horizon.
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 06:52
|
#53
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Not just functionality, but hardware too. The Irish Horizon box ships with a smaller hard drive than the baby TiVo.
__________________
Who gives a @*#$ about an Oxford comma?
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 06:54
|
#54
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brighton
Services: VM VIP
Posts: 22
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
You see, I don't need all the functionality that Tivo offers. I got bored of the Tivo 'suggestions' after about a month. I find the thumbs up/down thing just gimmicky. I have never needed to record anything let alone use three tuners. Because the menus are so slow, I just CBA to use it.
What I want is to be able to use menus quickly, without the endless clicking to access anything. The Horizon looks like that it does it far better than Tivo and it looks stylish as well. You can watch the TV channel in full screen while accessing the menus. Tivo, you just get a crappy little box in the corner!
I hope eventually we will be going to Horizon and dumping Tivo!
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 07:01
|
#55
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
You don't need to record anything? Get Vhd and save yourself some money!
__________________
Who gives a @*#$ about an Oxford comma?
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 08:24
|
#56
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
Style over substance?
Give me functionality over style any day. There is key functionality on Tivo that is missing on horizon.
|
+1
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 09:47
|
#57
|
|
Do I care what you think
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cardiff South Wales
Age: 75
Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Posts: 5,624
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m
You don't need to record anything? Get Vhd and save yourself some money!
|
Sorry what am I missing - check out advanced tv plus just google cox tv. guess its elsewere but its the one I know
__________________
No point in being pessimistic. You know it won`t work.
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 11:39
|
#58
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim
Sorry what am I missing - check out advanced tv plus just google cox tv. guess its elsewere but its the one I know 
|
I was replying to gregbrighton. If you never record anything don't complain about TiVo - it's the wrong box for you!
__________________
Who gives a @*#$ about an Oxford comma?
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 11:58
|
#59
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim
Sorry what am I missing - check out advanced tv plus just google cox tv. guess its elsewere but its the one I know 
|
What is the point of googleing CoxTV? there is no way we will be getting their box.
Sadly there is a chance we may get lumbered with the Horizon box to replace Tivo at some point in the future.
If they added Whishlists, auto recording clash resolution and upped the hard Drive capacity (and suggestions for those that want them), then the Horizon would be fine. However I think Whishlists are patented by Tivo (not sure about auto clash resolution) so not likely to happen.
All the other things that Horizon has over Tivo could be added to the Tivo box.
|
|
|
25-08-2013, 12:29
|
#60
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: Other "forum" pushing for Horizon box
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
What is the point of googleing CoxTV? there is no way we will be getting their box.
Sadly there is a chance we may get lumbered with the Horizon box to replace Tivo at some point in the future.
If they added Whishlists, auto recording clash resolution and upped the hard Drive capacity (and suggestions for those that want them), then the Horizon would be fine. However I think Whishlists are patented by Tivo (not sure about auto clash resolution) so not likely to happen.
All the other things that Horizon has over Tivo could be added to the Tivo box.
|
Sorry but in my opinion you've missed one of TIVO's major strengths and this coming from someone who only uses it a few times a month , Search is easily one of its best functions and is probably a market leader in the PVR market.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:02.
|