Foreign Channels on Virgin
19-08-2013, 10:24
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sutton
Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Posts: 615
|
Foreign Channels on Virgin
Before anyone suggest oh “its waste of bandwidth” or” I thinks it’s waste of money I don’t want VM getting it”, firstly Bandwidth shouldn’t be a problem and secondly I am looking for the opportunity at least like Asian pack
I remember back in the days of old analogue cable of getting foreign channels from the likes of Sat 1 Germany to Rai Uno in Italy. We forget in this country that is a huge number of European based people along with Asian communities and 2nd language speakers that would like to get something a little more optionwise than American based. For example in Germany they have a lot of home grown items like Schlag Dem Rab (which I believe was then remade as beat the celebrity in UK) as well as a lot of German movies (no not those  ).
When I was younger it help me to learn my German watching Knightrider / A – Team on Sat Eins and I think it would really help us in this country to embrace a little more about culture and languages if we also have these European channels like we did before, I think this is something we lost when we went digital. I am aware the you could answer “oh you get a satellite or stream these” and yes I do for the latter but I would like the option on Virgin, it would certainly allow a bit more closer cohesion with our European friends and help to breakdown cultural barriers, no this isn’t a political statement but in comparison to our European neighbours our grasp of 2nd languages and culture is poor in general IMO.
Other than TV5, Euronews and the loss of Cinemoi all we have is Asian in the “foreign section” so we are bit lean
anyway thanks for reading and welcome your views
|
|
|
19-08-2013, 10:39
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: Foreign Channels on Virgin
It will be interesting to see what being part of Liberty will do for the European language channels on Virgin Media.
BTW there is France 24 in French on channel 832
|
|
|
19-08-2013, 11:24
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brighton
Services: VM VIP
Posts: 22
|
Re: Foreign Channels on Virgin
I would like to see more foreign channels especially from mainland Europe. Wouldn't mind seeing more American.Canadian channels too.
|
|
|
19-08-2013, 11:25
|
#4
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Services: XL TV
XL Phone
XL 100MB broadband
TiVo
Cat
Posts: 2,611
|
Re: Foreign Channels on Virgin
I'd quite like a few german channels on virgin so i agree with you Anypermitedroute. I'd quite like the main channels from france, germany, spain and italy. other places get bbc so why cant we get the main channels from those countries?
|
|
|
19-08-2013, 11:26
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Waterlooville
Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
Posts: 919
|
Re: Foreign Channels on Virgin
Free to air porn on 3sat back in the day....
|
|
|
19-08-2013, 11:29
|
#6
|
|
Got inside news - PM me
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy UK HQ
Posts: 15,149
|
Re: Foreign Channels on Virgin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute
Before anyone suggest oh “its waste of bandwidth” or” I thinks it’s waste of money I don’t want VM getting it”, firstly Bandwidth shouldn’t be a problem and secondly I am looking for the opportunity at least like Asian pack
I remember back in the days of old analogue cable of getting foreign channels from the likes of Sat 1 Germany to Rai Uno in Italy. We forget in this country that is a huge number of European based people along with Asian communities and 2nd language speakers that would like to get something a little more optionwise than American based. For example in Germany they have a lot of home grown items like Schlag Dem Rab (which I believe was then remade as beat the celebrity in UK) as well as a lot of German movies (no not those  ).
When I was younger it help me to learn my German watching Knightrider / A – Team on Sat Eins and I think it would really help us in this country to embrace a little more about culture and languages if we also have these European channels like we did before, I think this is something we lost when we went digital. I am aware the you could answer “oh you get a satellite or stream these” and yes I do for the latter but I would like the option on Virgin, it would certainly allow a bit more closer cohesion with our European friends and help to breakdown cultural barriers, no this isn’t a political statement but in comparison to our European neighbours our grasp of 2nd languages and culture is poor in general IMO.
Other than TV5, Euronews and the loss of Cinemoi all we have is Asian in the “foreign section” so we are bit lean
anyway thanks for reading and welcome your views
|
We did have three Europe channels on Telewest when my area want Cable in 1995 here in Scotland before they launch Digital TV in 1999.
Sat 1
Rai Uno
RTL
|
|
|
19-08-2013, 11:55
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sutton
Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Posts: 615
|
Re: Foreign Channels on Virgin
yes thanks MB those were the ones I remember why did they leave MB any ideas?
I suspect the answer lies with broadacasting rights now focused on country to country that they couldnt show certain items for example formula one is free to air in Austria but its on skysports F1 hence why BBC world not BBC 1 is shown but are there any other countries that broadcast a world service ? or even just blackend the screens saaying due to rights they cant show this would better than nothing.
Thanks Ben Mcrs yes France 24 I forgot, but a coupel of news channels and one genuine channel is not enough IMO although to satisfy everyone would need x amount of channels surely europe would be a good start in fact we dont have even have Irish channels here and only recently S4C and BBC alba and you would consider them part of britain. Whether its niche or not we owe it to our community and cultures to highlight awareness and underatdn more about ourselves.
I suspect Canadians are in the same boat as Austria, jsut getting from USA and Germany respectivly
|
|
|
19-08-2013, 12:02
|
#8
|
|
Got inside news - PM me
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy UK HQ
Posts: 15,149
|
Re: Foreign Channels on Virgin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute
yes thanks MB those were the ones I remember why did they leave MB any ideas?
I suspect the answer lies with broadacasting rights now focused on country to country that they couldnt show certain items for example formula one is free to air in Austria but its on skysports F1 hence why BBC world not BBC 1 is shown but are there any other countries that broadcast a world service ? or even just blackend the screens saaying due to rights they cant show this would better than nothing.
Thanks Ben Mcrs yes France 24 I forgot, but a coupel of news channels and one genuine channel is not enough IMO although to satisfy everyone would need x amount of channels surely europe would be a good start in fact we dont have even have Irish channels here and only recently S4C and BBC alba and you would consider them part of britain. Whether its niche or not we owe it to our community and cultures to highlight awareness and underatdn more about ourselves.
I suspect Canadians are in the same boat as Austria, jsut getting from USA and Germany respectivly
|
Channels back then was axe for low viewers numbers - Travel Channel being one of them.
But the hours was cut back before their was axe to make room for new channels to launch like UK Style, Granada Talk, Sky Scottish, Granada Goodlife, .tv to launch around 1996.
|
|
|
19-08-2013, 12:23
|
#9
|
|
EU citizen proud of it!
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Belfast
Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
Posts: 1,449
|
Re: Foreign Channels on Virgin
You could always press red on euronews to hear other languages!
__________________
advertise here...........
|
|
|
19-08-2013, 12:40
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sutton
Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Posts: 615
|
Re: Foreign Channels on Virgin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e
You could always press red on euronews to hear other languages!
|
Not just about hearing the language is also showing lifestyle and entertainment program's that originated from that country, if I was living abroad I wouldn't want to just watch bbc news all the time!!!
For example lots of Germanic speaking people each year goto Cornwall as there has been quite a number of films based on rosamund Pilchard novels shot in the location and several coach tours from Germany go there so that they can experience the area and scenery, mrs anypermitedroute says these tv films are unlike anything we have in the UK
|
|
|
19-08-2013, 13:15
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brighton
Services: VM VIP
Posts: 22
|
Re: Foreign Channels on Virgin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute
Not just about hearing the language is also showing lifestyle and entertainment program's that originated from that country,
|
I also love this cultural aspect of TV programming from other countries.
I hope VM add Russian Today to the portfolio.
|
|
|
20-08-2013, 08:29
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sutton
Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Posts: 615
|
Re: Foreign Channels on Virgin
agreed gregbrighton and thanks for the info MB that is really useful
I think back in 1996 is was different landscape than what it is now in terms of percent of foreign nationals living in UK according to consensus in 1991 it was 6.7% now in 2010 it is 11.9%, more than double and to put in perspective around 7.5 million; more than population of Scotland (acknowleding there are foreign nationals in Scotland as well but just for the purpose of perspective). With the freedom of movement expanded in UK in 2004 and last year expansion to eastern countries more people will be choosing UK as their home and no doubt would like the opportunity to show cultural entertainment from back home.
I be interested to know how many asian channels there were back in 1996, I cant remember im sure they have increased but our choicel of european has gone down. I think its a real shame and an opportunity missed especially as for kids learning foreign languages they can do no harm than watching foreign TV but rather than dull news something that could be of interest.
Hopefully what BenMcrs cometh new owners cometh new directions
|
|
|
21-08-2013, 14:55
|
#13
|
|
Got inside news - PM me
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy UK HQ
Posts: 15,149
|
Re: Foreign Channels on Virgin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute
agreed gregbrighton and thanks for the info MB that is really useful
I think back in 1996 is was different landscape than what it is now in terms of percent of foreign nationals living in UK according to consensus in 1991 it was 6.7% now in 2010 it is 11.9%, more than double and to put in perspective around 7.5 million; more than population of Scotland (acknowleding there are foreign nationals in Scotland as well but just for the purpose of perspective). With the freedom of movement expanded in UK in 2004 and last year expansion to eastern countries more people will be choosing UK as their home and no doubt would like the opportunity to show cultural entertainment from back home.
I be interested to know how many asian channels there were back in 1996, I cant remember im sure they have increased but our choicel of european has gone down. I think its a real shame and an opportunity missed especially as for kids learning foreign languages they can do no harm than watching foreign TV but rather than dull news something that could be of interest.
Hopefully what BenMcrs cometh new owners cometh new directions
|
TV Asia was part time on both The Comedy Channel (Then Sky Movies Gold - Using 6am to 4pm) and Sky One (Using 12am to 6am) in 1993 on Astra before being took over and move to it own channel number and rebranded as Zee TV.
I think an Channel called Asianet did broadcast on Telewest for some time in the 1990s.
|
|
|
21-08-2013, 19:34
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sutton
Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Posts: 615
|
Re: Foreign Channels on Virgin
Thanks again MB for the information, really useful to know
|
|
|
23-08-2013, 17:25
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Surrey
Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Posts: 1,227
|
Re: Foreign Channels on Virgin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy
We did have three Europe channels on Telewest when my area want Cable in 1995 here in Scotland before they launch Digital TV in 1999.
Sat 1
Rai Uno
RTL
|
Remember this MB as RAI Uno was where I first started learning Italian. Would be lovely to have it back as it's a good mix of sport news dubbed shows etc etc.. and Inspectore Rex should be a Europe wide cult!
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:42.
|