Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin v Sky TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin v Sky TV
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2012, 05:04   #16
paultrademark
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nottingham
Services: 70MB BB
Posts: 895
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

Spot on Andy, I feel the same too.. we have loads of series's of stuff to watch, some going back 12 months ago (2 full seasons of Homelands for example).

There is plenty out there, use thumbs alot...
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-12-2012, 05:25   #17
andy_m
cf.mega poster
 
andy_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

Oh yeah, Homeland, and Southland as well. The list goes on...
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 07:52   #18
kop32
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2009
Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
Posts: 472
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

Personally I have no loyalty to any Service Provider (TV,Gas,Electric etc,etc),in this day and age with the transparency that is provided by Internet searches and comparison web sites the customer is king,if I sign up for any service then IMO it is up to that provider to offer me the service/product/content etc required to keep me as a customer!,if not, then I will take my custom to one that will.In that vein I now have Sky HD with multi-room,BT phone line and BT Infinity broadband,I will review each of my services when the offers I have have expired and if I find a better service elsewhere I will not hesitate to move to that provider,IMO there is no use whinging and moaning about what one provider is or is not delivering just do a bit of research and move your services to one that does deliver what you want,I don't believe Virgin,Sky,BT etc take much notice of forum web sites but will start to take notice if they loose customers and therefore revenue.....just my opinion,but hey,isn't that what these type's of forums are about!
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 08:08   #19
Qtx
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Probably outside the M25
Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Posts: 3,473
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The in laws have bought me a 3D Blu-Ray for my Christmas with the Avengers 3D and the original Star Wars trilogy in Blu-Ray format. I'm really looking forward to trying Empire Strikes Back converted to 3D, especially the opening scenes on Hoth.
Fun viewing ahead

Being a star wars film it will be converted to 3D in a decent way. I have found most normal films that do a 3D convert instead of actually doing it all 3D from the start, are rarely any better than the tv's own on the fly 3D conversion.

Building on what Maggie said, the main thing I watch is wildlife documentaries so having Sky gives me a few more in HD.

Just found an end of October list of channel differences, not sure how valid it still is: http://www.cable.co.uk/guides/sky-tv...a-tv-channels/
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 08:21   #20
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
 
Maggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,378
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

I get quite a lot of HD channels..trouble is recording them means I use up my V+HDD space far quicker.Each HD recording is worth double the space.

So I save them for when I'm actually watching the show.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 08:23   #21
andy_m
cf.mega poster
 
andy_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

That's a really interesting link because I actually thought the difference would have been bigger than that.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 09:02   #22
muppetman11
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

Main reason I subscribe to Sky is superior range of HD channels which is important to me with 3 TV's 42" or greater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I'd barely looked at TCM, for example, but am thoroughly enjoying Hell on Wheels
Yes recording it now , in HD as well
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 09:06   #23
Qtx
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Probably outside the M25
Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Posts: 3,473
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
That's a really interesting link because I actually thought the difference would have been bigger than that.
Had the same thought when I first looked at that page. Then realised you could expand all the sections below and all the differences become clearer.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 09:33   #24
andy_m
cf.mega poster
 
andy_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Main reason I subscribe to Sky is superior range of HD channels which is important to me with 3 TV's 42" or greater.


Yes recording it now , in HD as well
I'm only two episodes in, but it's really good so far.

---------- Post added at 10:33 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Had the same thought when I first looked at that page. Then realised you could expand all the sections below and all the differences become clearer.
I knew to expand the sections. Still don't think the difference is as big as I was expecting, certainly not in entertainment or factual. Lifestyle, maybe.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 09:56   #25
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I get quite a lot of HD channels..trouble is recording them means I use up my V+HDD space far quicker.Each HD recording is worth double the space.
Actually HD shows take up four times the space of an SD version. V+ total recording space is the equivalent of 80 hours SD or 20 hours HD. Extra recording space is one of the massive pluses of Tivo over the V+. It's a shame that VM don't use mp4 as Sky do, as that increases recording capacity even further. But it's legacy boxes such as V+ that are preventing that from happening.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 11:31   #26
Chad
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Posts: 5,137
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
That's a really interesting link because I actually thought the difference would have been bigger than that.
I thought the difference was pretty big.

Sky have:

8 more entertainment channels
10 more lifestyle channels
6 more movie channels
6 more sports channels
5 more factual channels
9 more kids channels
16 more music channels
21 more shopping channels
7 more news channels
48 more international channels
4 more gaming channels
7 more specialist channels
33 more +1 channels

In total that's 174 channels. I'm not suggesting they are all quality channels, far from it, however if Virgin announced they would add all of these channels what do you think the general reply would be from Virgin customers? A massive yes please or no thanks as their mostly niche channels? I'm guessing the Coming Soon thread would go into melt down.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 12:12   #27
andy_m
cf.mega poster
 
andy_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

I read the list from the stand point of not being overly fussed about hd or +1s,which I recognise means I'll view it differently to you. However, what I saw was an entertainment section with really only one obvious omission. In terms of actual content then I stand by what I said - I thought the difference would have been bigger than it apparently is. Your own list makes it clear that the bulk of the difference is made up of lifestyle, shopping and international channels with the link showing that hd and +1s accounting for a large chunk of what's left. As is often said on here, each to their own, and they're not for me.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 12:15   #28
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
if Virgin announced they would add all of these channels what do you think the general reply would be from Virgin customers?.

"Wow, did you see that pig that just flew by?"
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 12:22   #29
mike_gain
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scotland
Age: 45
Posts: 308
mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
"Wow, did you see that pig that just flew by?"
Or "What do you mean my box only has enough memory to show 2 hours of this larger EPG each day?" from non-TiVo users*



*In reference to the reduced EPG that cam in as a result of the Olympic channels
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 12:27   #30
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin v Sky TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I thought the difference was pretty big.

Sky have:

8 more entertainment channels
10 more lifestyle channels
6 more movie channels
6 more sports channels
5 more factual channels
9 more kids channels
16 more music channels
21 more shopping channels
7 more news channels
48 more international channels
4 more gaming channels
7 more specialist channels
33 more +1 channels

In total that's 174 channels. I'm not suggesting they are all quality channels, far from it, however if Virgin announced they would add all of these channels what do you think the general reply would be from Virgin customers? A massive yes please or no thanks as their mostly niche channels? I'm guessing the Coming Soon thread would go into melt down.
There is no question that if the number of channels, both SD and HD is your main priority, then Sky is the place to be.

But it is worth looking at the channels that Sky has, that VM doesn't have, that personally apply to you as an individual. I did that a little while ago and was surprised how little I was missing in terms of content (one channel) and HD (around two, if I remember correctly).
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 14:49.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum