02-12-2012, 14:38
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 317
|
Extending Tivo Wiring?
I currently have a Tivo box, but it only has a short wire connected to it and I wanted to make it longer so I could move my TV.
What is the best and easiest way to do this?
Thanks
|
|
|
03-12-2012, 09:36
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: West Herts
Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
Posts: 1,986
|
Re: Extending Tivo Wiring?
The correct way to do this is to get a tech out to do it. As it's a non-fault call there is a charge of £99 to do this. Bit of a pain, but if you screw up your signal levels by over extending the cable or using non-standard (ie. not triple screened) cable & connectors you will end up with service problems. TiVO's are very "signal critical"
|
|
|
03-12-2012, 09:57
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Services: VIP 100
Posts: 52
|
Re: Extending Tivo Wiring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlam
I currently have a Tivo box, but it only has a short wire connected to it and I wanted to make it longer so I could move my TV.
What is the best and easiest way to do this?
Thanks
|
I moved my tivo an bb to the other side of the room last week and used this cable ..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007MLV9CI
Everything is working fine now its moved - alot cheaper than getting someone out to do it!
|
|
|
03-12-2012, 12:34
|
#4
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: West Herts
Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
Posts: 1,986
|
Re: Extending Tivo Wiring?
Yes. But you are taking a chance. If the OP's levels are borderline he is at risk of losing or degrading services by extending, as the levels are balanced to the setup he has now. Doing this won't work for everyone. It's also against Virgin's T&C's to alter the wiring.
|
|
|
03-12-2012, 12:38
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Services: VIP 100
Posts: 52
|
Re: Extending Tivo Wiring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd
Yes. But you are taking a chance. If the OP's levels are borderline he is at risk of losing or degrading services by extending, as the levels are balanced to the setup he has now. Doing this won't work for everyone. It's also against Virgin's T&C's to alter the wiring.
|
If it doesn't work remove the extra wire, plug the old back in and get a tech to come and change it. Surely better to be trying the £3 option before the £100 option
|
|
|
03-12-2012, 15:58
|
#6
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: West Herts
Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
Posts: 1,986
|
Re: Extending Tivo Wiring?
Just helping the OP make an informed decision.
|
|
|
03-12-2012, 16:21
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 317
|
Re: Extending Tivo Wiring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamf
|
Thanks for the info mate as where my TV currently is, is a pain and I don't want to have to pay £100 or more for VM to do it as it should be done for free. 
---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd
Just helping the OP make an informed decision.
|
Thanks for your reply mate, but VM shouldn't charge anything as you pay £50 for installation when you first join and that should fall under that bracket and not asking for another £100 to make more money for themselves.
|
|
|
04-12-2012, 09:14
|
#8
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: West Herts
Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
Posts: 1,986
|
Re: Extending Tivo Wiring?
You mean to say if you wanted electrical sockets moved by an electrician you wouldn’t expect to pay for it as you paid for the house to be wired when it was built? I don’t think so. I would agree charges should be comparable to the job being done/materials used & not a flat fee. Your rental charges get you free repairs, which you don’t get with any other provider, so I think a reasonable charge for a non repair call-out should be acceptable.
|
|
|
04-12-2012, 10:02
|
#9
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,574
|
Re: Extending Tivo Wiring?
I agree a reasonable charge should be made, but personally I think £100 is not reasonable and is tantamount to an invitation to try the DIY route before calling VM. I never spend money on tradesmen to do work I can do myself (and I would include moving/doubling an electrical socket in that).
|
|
|
04-12-2012, 14:37
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 104
|
Re: Extending Tivo Wiring?
I got a virgin installer to move my broadband cable after I saw him in the street one day. IIRC, he did it for a tenner. I didn't need a new cable - perhaps it wouldn't have been so easy if I had.
|
|
|
04-12-2012, 17:17
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 317
|
Re: Extending Tivo Wiring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by knack
I got a virgin installer to move my broadband cable after I saw him in the street one day. IIRC, he did it for a tenner. I didn't need a new cable - perhaps it wouldn't have been so easy if I had.
|
That's properly just a job on the side for cash upfront.
---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd
You mean to say if you wanted electrical sockets moved by an electrician you wouldn’t expect to pay for it as you paid for the house to be wired when it was built? I don’t think so. I would agree charges should be comparable to the job being done/materials used & not a flat fee. Your rental charges get you free repairs, which you don’t get with any other provider, so I think a reasonable charge for a non repair call-out should be acceptable.
|
I understand mate and agree with the logic of your point, but £100 is just too much. When you first join VM, they should install it how you want as you are paying an installation fee.
|
|
|
04-12-2012, 19:37
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brizzle
Services: V6, 350mb Broadband, Phone
Posts: 359
|
Re: Extending Tivo Wiring?
I moved a box myself with a bit of cable and a connector. It's very easy to do but if you can't do it see if you have a friend or someone in the family who could do it. A hundred pounds for a box move is totally ridiculous unless money is no object.
But don't try to move any electrical sockets yourself or move the gas meter or anything like that. Those things should be left to the experts. But a box move is a very very straight forward DIY job.
|
|
|
04-12-2012, 22:27
|
#13
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: West Herts
Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
Posts: 1,986
|
Re: Extending Tivo Wiring?
You see so many posts on the boards here & on the VM community forum about poor services. I'm wondering how many of these are caused by sub standard DIY wiring alterations & interference being fed back onto the network by such alterations affecting other users on the same DP.
|
|
|
04-12-2012, 22:31
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Services: VIP 100
Posts: 52
|
Re: Extending Tivo Wiring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd
You see so many posts on the boards here & on the VM community forum about poor services. I'm wondering how many of these are caused by sub standard DIY wiring alterations & interference being fed back onto the network by such alterations affecting other users on the same DP.
|
I take it you work for Virgin?
|
|
|
04-12-2012, 22:37
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 88
|
Re: Extending Tivo Wiring?
When we got VM installed we weren't 100% sure of the permanent location of the second box. The engineer gave me 30 ft of extra cable and said it would be no issue to move it myself. I've still got the cable if anyone wants it 
---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:33 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd
You see so many posts on the boards here & on the VM community forum about poor services. I'm wondering how many of these are caused by sub standard DIY wiring alterations & interference being fed back onto the network by such alterations affecting other users on the same DP.
|
If the network is so flaky that someone moving a box is going to cause interference for other users then VM have a serious issue with there infrastructure. Still can't believe you've posted that to be honest.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:01.
|