TiVo STB's - how reliable?
10-09-2012, 20:18
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cambs
Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
Posts: 1,094
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Have had it since the first roll out. Have had very few minor issues over that period of time. Can't remember having a missed recording. As with most people, it has rarely needed a reboot too. Although, I have had to reboot twice in the last couple of months, but only when trying to load the BBC red button. I still remember how the V+ worked and how slow it was. I find TIVO is still faster.
Whilst this is moving away from your question a bit, (apologies if I should not do this, still a little naive on here) Wishlists are an excellent feature, as is the recover your deleted shows. I have found suggestions to be very helpful and incredibly tuned into to what I like to watch. Whilst the apps are a little disappointing, I am sure we will see some real treats come our way shortly. As mentioned previously, recording hiccups is a really great option to have (thankfully I have not had to use it yet though.) Finally. Having recordings/shows placed into seperate folders I find saves a lot of scrolling through pages of recordings (it also lets you simply press on play on a group of recodings for one one show and will play from the earliest recording, and automatically move onto the next recording.) I have stated previously in another thread that I can live without HD, but there I am not sure if I could go back to another STB now. It does take a couple of weeks to bed in, but once it is going, you will not be sorry.
I think thats my ramblings/gushing over, I seriously recommend you give TIVO a chance though.
|
|
|
11-09-2012, 07:33
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 45
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Many thanks indeed for everyone's input, it's very much appreciated.
However, I'm not convinced that coming back to VM would be a good move. What bothers me are the comments about the TiVo boxes having a tendency to reboot of their own accord. So, I'll have to ponder very carefully over the next few weeks, as I don't really have a problem with my Sky TV service. The only thing that's making me want to return to VM is that my Sky+ HD box only has two tuners which, for most of the time, is fine but there have been occasions when I could have done with an extra one. Hmmm .....
|
|
|
11-09-2012, 07:45
|
#18
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMart
However, I'm not convinced that coming back to VM would be a good move.
|
Quote:
|
What bothers me are the comments about the TiVo boxes having a tendency to reboot of their own accord.
|
So even though of us have mentioned how good it is, etc., that's your excuse. Because it may re-boot occasionally?
Quote:
|
So, I'll have to ponder very carefully over the next few weeks, as I don't really have a problem with my Sky TV service. The only thing that's making me want to return to VM is that my Sky+ HD box only has two tuners which, for most of the time, is fine but there have been occasions when I could have done with an extra one. Hmmm .....
|
There are many more good points than that one bad one.
|
|
|
11-09-2012, 08:20
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
So even though of us have mentioned how good it is, etc., that's your excuse. Because it may re-boot occasionally?
There are many more good points than that one bad one.
|
If the OP's not sure, he's not sure, full stop. Insulting statements and emoticons aren't called for; in his situation, it would probably put me off.
There have been a few problem boxes. I believe they are a tiny insignificant minority and they can be replaced anyway But it is for the OP to come to that conclusion himself through spending time on forums such as this, not for you to tell him he's making excuses.
|
|
|
11-09-2012, 08:50
|
#20
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
If the OP's not sure, he's not sure, full stop. Insulting statements and emoticons aren't called for; in his situation, it would probably put me off.
|
Apologies for the slight OTT response. Of course it's his choice.
Quote:
|
There have been a few problem boxes. I believe they are a tiny insignificant minority and they can be replaced anyway.
|
That was, of course, my point
|
|
|
11-09-2012, 09:50
|
#21
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 45
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
|
Please allow me to try and clear up your confusion:
From my perspective, it's a matter of "Once bitten, twice shy", simple as that.
|
|
|
11-09-2012, 10:07
|
#22
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Well your main concern...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMart
What bothers me are the comments about the TiVo boxes having a tendency to reboot of their own accord.
|
... has been cleared-up.
However, I do agree with your other sentiments. But I would also add that, as you have had the service before, the install should be fairly straight-forward and you will then have 28 days to give it a try
Again, I know what I mean, I just sometimes have a problem expressing correctly. So my apologies again.
|
|
|
11-09-2012, 14:28
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cambs
Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
Posts: 1,094
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMart
Many thanks indeed for everyone's input, it's very much appreciated.
However, I'm not convinced that coming back to VM would be a good move. What bothers me are the comments about the TiVo boxes having a tendency to reboot of their own accord. So, I'll have to ponder very carefully over the next few weeks, as I don't really have a problem with my Sky TV service. The only thing that's making me want to return to VM is that my Sky+ HD box only has two tuners which, for most of the time, is fine but there have been occasions when I could have done with an extra one. Hmmm .....
|
Don't envy you your choice.......rather you than me  Can't argue with the fact that SKY has a much bigger/better TV service than VM (esp. HD), although its remarkable how many times my three tuners are in use.
Good luck
|
|
|
11-09-2012, 15:58
|
#24
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mansfield Woodhouse NG19
Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
Posts: 541
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
In about 17 months of constant use my Tivo has NEVER rebooted while watching it. In recent months (following various upgrades) it has never rebooted at all nor required me to make it reboot.
|
|
|
11-09-2012, 16:13
|
#25
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
I wish
|
|
|
12-09-2012, 09:06
|
#26
|
|
Do I care what you think
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cardiff South Wales
Age: 75
Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Posts: 5,624
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Box is fine - what it offers - really depends on what you want,like require or use.
O` yes never had a reboot.
BBC I player is rubbish in my area. If you want that check out YOUR area. I understand a lot of the problems are in ex NTL areas
__________________
No point in being pessimistic. You know it won`t work.
|
|
|
14-09-2012, 08:01
|
#27
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: W.Sussex
Services: Broadband L (30Mb)
TV M+
Phone M
Posts: 95
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Can somebody define a "reboot" please?
Just had TiVo package installed yesterday complete with superhub. I've come from years of faultless V+ box plus simple modem. Last night my TV kept "blinking" Screen went black for about 1 second, then it showed my TV data for a further second then cleared itself. Seemed to do it random intervals but towards the end of the evening it hadn't done it for 30 minutes.
It also seems to do the same thing if I fiddle with the remote, looking at the new features.
If those incidents are reboots will they clear up or do I need another box?
Thanks.
|
|
|
14-09-2012, 08:11
|
#28
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
I have no idea what that was but it wasn't a 're-boot', which is where the box does just that, like a computer (because that's basically what it is.)
The screen will indeed go blank but you will then see a "Starting Up...." message on a Tivo-style background. It will then take around 5 mins and another on-screen message or two until you see the Tivo main menu.
|
|
|
14-09-2012, 08:15
|
#29
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Check your HDMI connections, and try turning your TV off and then on again.
|
|
|
14-09-2012, 08:53
|
#30
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: W.Sussex
Services: Broadband L (30Mb)
TV M+
Phone M
Posts: 95
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m
Check your HDMI connections, and try turning your TV off and then on again.
|
Tried that, no different.
I think I might have a solution though. When I set the box up, I forced the output resolution to 720p as my TV is HD ready with a native resolution of 720p. With my old V+ box I got a slightly better picture with 720p rather than 1080i.
I've reset the box to automatic output resolution and it's happily outputting 1080i with no glitches. Picture quality is good also.
Thanks
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:31.
|