TiVo STB's - how reliable?
10-09-2012, 10:49
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 45
|
TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Having been away from VM TV for almost 12 months, I've lost track with what's happening. I left VM (for TV) because I got sick 'n tired of their crappy V+ STB's (got through FIVE in 12 months!) but I'm thinking about coming back. Before dumping my excellent Sky TV service, I need to know how reliable the TiVo STB's are.
Thanks .....
|
|
|
10-09-2012, 10:52
|
#2
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
It seems to vary. Personally, I'm still on my first box. It does spontaneously re-boot by itself very occasionally and sometimes locks-up requiring a re-boot but, but then so does my PC
If anyone mentions that their box re-boots regularly then it is probably faulty and not normal behaviour.
|
|
|
10-09-2012, 11:24
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 45
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
How long have you had the box?
|
|
|
10-09-2012, 11:40
|
#4
|
|
Smeghead
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
I've got 3 TiVo boxes, the newest is roughly 6 months old and the other two are nearly two years old now and still working great.
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
|
|
|
10-09-2012, 11:41
|
#5
|
|
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,397
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
I had a tivo since early August, had no problems at all, the only thing it doesn't do yet (but coming soon) is interactive stuff to acces news/sports etc.
but it no major issue as we have a Smart TV with web access, plus Tablets
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
|
|
|
10-09-2012, 11:50
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mansfield Woodhouse NG19
Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
Posts: 541
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Had TiVo well over a year. Totally reliable. These days very rarely needs a reboot.
|
|
|
10-09-2012, 12:07
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
I've had mine over a year. It took a week or two to settle down but I can't remember the last time it rebooted. I had all sorts of problems with both v+ and sky+ - this looks like the most reliable box I've had since my old Phillips sky digibox, which was the only other box I've had that didn't need swapping out every 6 months. Actually, my current v+ box was moved upstairs when I got TiVo so thats lasted a similar amount of time now, albeit with much less use.
Sorry, very long post. My TiVo has been reliable for over a year.
|
|
|
10-09-2012, 12:15
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Deepest pits of Hell
Age: 42
Posts: 4,964
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Apart from not recording my NFL last night, and a couple of reboots, never had cause to moan about TiVo since having installed. I was very sceptical before it, but I will say again (sorry) that if everything is set right in the first instance, it does save time. Especially wish lists.
|
|
|
10-09-2012, 12:42
|
#9
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMart
How long have you had the box?
|
Feb or March last year, IIRC.
|
|
|
10-09-2012, 12:49
|
#10
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stoke on Trent
Services: 30 mb broadband & phone
Posts: 280
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
One thing striking that you will notice if you get TiVo is just how quiet they are compared to Sky boxes.
|
|
|
10-09-2012, 13:02
|
#11
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk
Had TiVo well over a year. Totally reliable. These days very rarely needs a reboot.
|
Same here with our two boxes.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
10-09-2012, 14:06
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Two Tivos here which I've had for almost a year and a half and no problems at all. I can't remember a random reboot happening at all, though it's possible I did have one and I've just forgoten. Whichever way, it's not a problem otherwise, I would have remembered.
Some people have had problems and have been vocal on the VM forums about it. It's always difficult to know what the percentage it is though, as a lot of people only post on forums when they have a problem; those with perfectly working machines have no need to post.
---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984
Apart from not recording my NFL last night, .
|
Have you checked the information on Hiccups? If it was set to record, it should tell you why it didn't.
|
|
|
10-09-2012, 14:33
|
#13
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 659
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
I've had my TiVo since they became available from VM. Generally speaking it's stable although it does throw a wobbler every now and again requiring a reboot. Thankfully this has never happened at a critical time (such as when I'm recording something). On the whole it's slightly more stable than my SA V+ box.
|
|
|
10-09-2012, 15:19
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Deepest pits of Hell
Age: 42
Posts: 4,964
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
@Passing, did as you suggested and despite knowing I set it to record (was last thing I did before bedtime) there was nothing in Hiccups to tell me why it failed to record. So either there was a problem with C4, or I botched it whilst half asleep. I know which one is more likely.
|
|
|
10-09-2012, 18:18
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Posts: 5,137
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Had my TiVo for about 7 months now and no problems. Very stable. I don't think it has re-booted whilst I've been watching something. Think I've only ever had 1 recording fail. I've still got my V+ in the bedroom. Of the 2, V+ is the box that gives me most hassle and I hardly ever use it!
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:33.
|