29-08-2012, 20:47
|
#31
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sheffield
Age: 39
Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
Posts: 4,090
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay
So I have managed to find out how many are still in circulation who wants to guess ?
|
its got to be under 200.000 surely
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 20:57
|
#32
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 211
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes
its got to be under 200.000 surely
|
yes a lot less than 200,000 about 5% of that. 10,509
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 20:59
|
#33
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 59
Posts: 2,590
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay
yes a lot less than 200,000 about 5% of that. 10,509 
|
And I was going to guess at about 10,510
Cheers
Grim
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 21:08
|
#34
|
|
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,396
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
We have a faulty V+ box which can now be replaced as we have removed the stuff we wanted to keep on it.
This was replaced by a 1TB Tivo, (plus Sky Sports & Movies in HD).
The V+ will go nicely with my HDTV
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 21:18
|
#35
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sheffield
Age: 39
Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
Posts: 4,090
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay
yes a lot less than 200,000 about 5% of that. 10,509 
|
I nearly got it right
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 21:41
|
#36
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Posts: 5,137
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay
Where is the Pace 1000 ?
|
I had a Pace 1000 in my bedroom up until about 7 months ago. I got TiVo in the living room and my V+ box moved to the bedroom. I've still got the remote for the Pace 1000. In the 6 or so years I hade the Pace 1000 I never had a problem with it.
|
|
|
30-08-2012, 14:42
|
#37
|
|
Do I care what you think
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cardiff South Wales
Age: 75
Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Posts: 5,620
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Preferred the V+ in it heyday. Miss the red button ( that gave what I wanted) the clock/timer & reminders that did just that .
__________________
No point in being pessimistic. You know it won`t work.
|
|
|
30-08-2012, 14:50
|
#38
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brizzle
Services: V6, 350mb Broadband, Phone
Posts: 359
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
I think the best picture quality was on the SA V+ box. When that broke I can remember being disappointed with the Samsung's picture quality in comparison. But the SA used to light up the room when it was switched off!
I suppose the TiVo box is a step up although it does frustrate me with some of its ways.
|
|
|
30-08-2012, 15:07
|
#39
|
|
Do I care what you think
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cardiff South Wales
Age: 75
Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Posts: 5,620
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo
I think the best picture quality was on the SA V+ box. When that broke I can remember being disappointed with the Samsung's picture quality in comparison. But the SA used to light up the room when it was switched off!
I suppose the TiVo box is a step up although it does frustrate me with some of its ways.
|
Yes I was thinking of the SA . Remember the bright light problem was "fixed"
Still have one in bedroom - no light
__________________
No point in being pessimistic. You know it won`t work.
|
|
|
02-09-2012, 15:37
|
#40
|
|
Rise above the players
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 with 360, ITVX, 4+, Prime, Netflix, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount+, Discovery+, HBO Max
Posts: 15,513
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
I have never looked back since replacing my V+ with a TIVO box. When i look at the V+ box now, I am reminded how bulky, clunky and noisy it was, although we preferred that to the Sky HD box, mostly for the extra tuner, though!
Being able to record three programmes at a time, the intelligence within the box that will find another time to record when there is no capacity for a recording at the time you've tried to set it, the displays and that delicious red background, the fact that you can 'undelete' your deleted programmes and set up wishlists.... I could whitter on for ages.
VM made an excellent move when they decided to run with the TIVO box. I only hope they now utilise its full potential. I'm still waiting to get more from the internet through the TIVO, such as streaming movies/box sets through providers of my choice, like Netflix and Lovefilm!
---------- Post added at 16:29 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
Pretty much what 90% of the UK public would vote. 
|
H'mm... that doesn't tally with the votes on this thread....
---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id
For someone who just wants to watch linear TV and maybe record a few shows, the V+ is by far and wide the simplest solution.
|
I disagree. It is just as easy to use a TIVO to watch linear TV, and the recording functionality is much better and transfers recordings where there are clashes to an alternative repeated listing. Additionally, there is so much more recording space that you don't have to keep deleting programmes you haven't yet seen to make room for new ones.
There are three tuners on the TIVO, the box does not seize up at midnight and is far quieter than the V+.
You don't have to use the other functions if you don't want to.
If that is all you want to use the TIVO for, how is it more complicated?
I think it is better for people to try to keep up, because as technology gets more advanced, they are going to get left far behind. Not only will they be losing out on what is available, when they do eventually change because the older technology is no longer around, they will find it a far bigger leap than if they took the bite size advances and got used to the latest technology that is available now.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:57.
|