29-08-2012, 16:42
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Herts
Services: A mix of XXL and XL
Posts: 630
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
I've used a PACE 1000, Samsung SMT-2100, SA V+, the Cisco VHD box and still find the TIVO the best of the lot
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 16:47
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Deepest pits of Hell
Age: 42
Posts: 4,964
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Personally, I would like to take the speed of the V+ box and combine it with the TiVo box and that would be the perfect box for me. Speed of menus and changing channel is the only negative for me on TiVo so far.
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 16:56
|
#18
|
|
Got inside news - PM me
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy UK HQ
Posts: 15,148
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Good old V+ HD box is the best one.
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 17:59
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Herts
Services: A mix of XXL and XL
Posts: 630
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984
Personally, I would like to take the speed of the V+ box and combine it with the TiVo box
|
Unless your experience of a V+ was the SA version, then TIVO would be the fastest
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 18:27
|
#20
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Deepest pits of Hell
Age: 42
Posts: 4,964
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
I used a Samsung V+ box yes, I just like channels to change instantly instead of the mini delay on TiVo box.
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 18:36
|
#21
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sunny Scunny, North Lincolnshire
Posts: 1,068
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Best I have is V+, can't comment on Tivo.............
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 18:38
|
#22
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984
I used a Samsung V+ box yes, I just like channels to change instantly instead of the mini delay on TiVo box.
|
But remember Mark the TiVo is far far more Graphics heavy thus it takes that tiny bit longer.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 18:56
|
#23
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 59
Posts: 2,589
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Afraid I voted None Of Them as there wasn't an option for Don't Care As Long As It Records.
I know it's been discussed to death but a V+ with a bigger hard drive would have done me. If I owned the box I would have upgraded my V+. Around the time of the Tivo launch I could have upgraded the V+ to 2TB for less than the cost of a 1TB Tivo.
Cheers
Grim
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 18:59
|
#24
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth
Afraid I voted None Of Them as there wasn't an option for Don't Care As Long As It Records.
Cheers
Grim
|
Pretty much what 90% of the UK public would vote.
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 19:23
|
#25
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 211
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
Long dead and buried, I suspect
(That was my very first digital cable box back in the days of Telewest!)
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
There are still plenty going strong.

|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W
That was my first box installed by Comtel many years ago.
I now have a TIVO 500gig.
|
So I have managed to find out how many are still in circulation who wants to guess ?
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 19:23
|
#26
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sheffield
Age: 39
Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
Posts: 4,090
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
Pretty much what 90% of the UK public would vote. 
|
Ill have my 2 cents worth as well. I have had the Pace 1000, the V+HD, V HD and Tivo oh and Sky+HD. I prefer Sky+HD  no seriously out of the VM STB's i prefer Tivo. YEs some tasks take more button presses but overall its worth it. The best box IMO
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 19:37
|
#27
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
Pretty much what 90% of the UK public would vote. 
|
Why don't you vote great man as you might find it invigorating. 
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 19:43
|
#28
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone
Why don't you vote great man as you might find it invigorating.  
|
I don't have a VM STB so my votes irrelevant , I'm in agreement with Grim so long as it records what I ask of it and seldom requires a reboot it'll do for me. If I'm honest people's affinity to a STB leaves me bemused but each to their own I guess.
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 20:05
|
#29
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
If I'm honest people's affinity to a STB leaves me bemused but each to their own I guess.
|
I can only speak for myself, but it's not the affinity to a set top box that I'm interested, it's my affinity to the features it provides. If Sky, BT or youview made a box with the same features as Tivo, especially 3 recordable tuners and whishlists I'd be equally enthusiastic about those.
Peoples' requirements depend on their TV viewing, but I can never imagine myself going back to a box without whishlists and series links that have to be re-set for new seasons, (or even part seasons). But that is partly down to my viewing habits. Thankfully the days of me spending time checking the Digital Spy Premier list and other online 'New show UK air date listings' are over thanks to Tivo's whishlist. It's not just a nice feature, it's a time saver for me.
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 20:44
|
#30
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 59
Posts: 2,589
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay
So I have managed to find out how many are still in circulation who wants to guess ?
|
I wouldn’t embarrass myself by guessing, but would be interested to know how many.
Cheers
Grim
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:41.
|