28-08-2012, 18:09
|
#1
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Which Virgin STB do you prefer as it would be interesting to know what peoples thoughts are on the matter as there seems to be differing opinions about the pro's and con's of each box.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
28-08-2012, 18:23
|
#2
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
I can sort-of understand how some people might not "get" Tivo, or think it's not for them. Perhaps if you don't watch much TV, of any type at all (ie broadcast or OD) then perhaps you might wonder what Tivo can do for you.
However, surely even someone who doesn't watch much telly would have a favourite actor or director and so might find the Wishlist functionality useful. Though whether that alone is worth a fiver a month is also debatable.
|
|
|
28-08-2012, 18:43
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Herts
Services: A mix of XXL and XL
Posts: 630
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
TIVO is the cleverest box that VM do
The old V+ was pretty good but frustrating always having to be careful what I wanted to record due to the lack of space
Being able to set up wishlists so that I don't have to keep a close eye on the listings
|
|
|
28-08-2012, 21:44
|
#4
|
|
[CENSORED]
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wolverhampton
Age: 48
Posts: 4,218
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
I can sort-of understand how some people might not "get" Tivo, or think it's not for them. Perhaps if you don't watch much TV, of any type at all (ie broadcast or OD) then perhaps you might wonder what Tivo can do for you.
However, surely even someone who doesn't watch much telly would have a favourite actor or director and so might find the Wishlist functionality useful. Though whether that alone is worth a fiver a month is also debatable.
|
For someone who just wants to watch linear TV and maybe record a few shows, the V+ is by far and wide the simplest solution.
__________________
Help save the world from loosers
|
|
|
28-08-2012, 21:49
|
#5
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Which is what I said
However, I still stand by the fact that the features of the Tivo (find next-available recording, ability to record up to three things at once, wishlists) are still useful for someone who doesn't watch a lot of TV.
|
|
|
28-08-2012, 22:22
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Great Britain
Services: Sky+HD, Sky Talk and BB.
Posts: 253
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
In my household we have 2 Tivos and a Samsung V+.
After using the Tivos for 6 months i now find the Samsung V+ losing its appeal.
|
|
|
28-08-2012, 22:39
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quite apart from the fact that I love my TiVo, I think the v+ is an awful box. When I first moved from Sky I spent quite a while thinking I'd made a bit of a mistake solely because of the dreadful stb. Clunky, awful ui, slow, poor recording capacity. If everyone on this thread had come from Sky+ hd to V+ hd then there wouldn't even be a discussion about it, appalling piece of kit.
|
|
|
28-08-2012, 22:49
|
#8
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 211
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Where is the Pace 1000 ?
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 05:53
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Stevenage, Herts
Age: 46
Services: Talk Weekends
SupreFibre 70
Posts: 519
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
TiVo all the way. Fast and responsive. Bags off space to store recorded shows. Searching for shows is a breeze. And we all love the you tube app for a few funny videos with the kids.
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 06:28
|
#10
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay
Where is the Pace 1000 ?
|
Long dead and buried, I suspect
(That was my very first digital cable box back in the days of Telewest!)
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 08:34
|
#11
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
Long dead and buried, I suspect 
|
There are still plenty going strong.
Samsung 2100 gets my vote for now. I'll form an opinion on the TiVos over the next few years. These things shouldn't be rushed.
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 10:32
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winnersh UK
Services: , BBand 120M tier Superhub, O2 Mobile phone
Posts: 2,147
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay
Where is the Pace 1000 ?
|
That was my first box installed by Comtel many years ago.
I now have a TIVO 500gig.
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 13:51
|
#13
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St Albans, Herts
Services: XL TV.Sky Sports/Movies, V6, VM 200MB.VM Fixed Phone
Posts: 169
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
I voted for V+
Have I had Pace 4000 and a Samsung 2110
I have not had a Tivo yet so i voted for a V+
andrewlutonuk
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 16:09
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North West England
Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV,
Freesat HD.
Posts: 920
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
The Samsung V+ is Mega stylish, a real eye opener, Picture quality is real good as well on my ISF calibrated TV, we watch mainly Movies and Live Sports plus Corrie and Emmerdale, TiVo is going to be wasted on us because even if we wanted to expand our TV watching horizons, our current Life Schedule just wouldn't allow it.
|
|
|
29-08-2012, 16:30
|
#15
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: Which Virgin STB do you prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlutonuk
I voted for V+
Have I had Pace 4000 and a Samsung 2110
I have not had a Tivo yet so i voted for a V+
andrewlutonuk
|
And therein lies the problem with this poll, not everybody has experience of all the options. Even so, its currently running at about 77% for TiVo, which is a huge majority. I suspect if you limited the respondents to only those who have used all of the options the percentage would be even higher. I doubt this will end the arguments, but in general people prefer TiVo.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:27.
|