Temperamental piece of...
26-08-2012, 19:32
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,931
|
Temperamental piece of...
Is anyone else having problems with the superhub since the update, I don't use the default SSID and passkey and it keeps cutting out and has just reset them to the defaults on the back of the hub. Doing my head in
|
|
|
26-08-2012, 20:02
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Temperamental piece of...
People are always having problems with the shub, especially wireless. I know it is a pain in the bum but i suggest you try changing one thing at a time and then leave it for a day so you can isolate the potential cause of the problem.
That being said, if you cant be bothered to faff around and are of the mind set that it should just flipping work (like the rest of us) then bang it in modem mode and buy a proper router.
|
|
|
26-08-2012, 20:32
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,931
|
Re: Temperamental piece of...
Well I generally have it set to 300Mbps with OBSS switched off as opposed to 144Mbps but surely that shouldn't have any negative impact?
|
|
|
26-08-2012, 20:43
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northants
Age: 82
Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro
Sky Talk
Sky+HD
Posts: 5,122
|
Re: Temperamental piece of...
Only 2 choices I feel. Modem mode or change ISP.
I chose modem mode until I got fed up with VM micro managing me.
Eventually I jumped ship to Sky Fibre.
The sky hub is even more basic than the superhub but so far appears to be stable and has much better wifi. 4 antennae as opposed to 2 I guess?
|
|
|
26-08-2012, 22:07
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,931
|
Re: Temperamental piece of...
Well the ISP change is not possible due to contract but what router would you recommend or is it a case of anythings better than the superhub?
|
|
|
27-08-2012, 03:18
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2007
Services: VM 100mb/5mb, Linksys E3200 super fast router, cable tv
Posts: 84
|
Re: Temperamental piece of...
as an temp fix (see if it fixs the issue) set it to 54mb and make sure its set to an Fixed channel (1,6 or 11) never auto as that can make problems with devices getting confused and no longer connecting any more
BThub3 are the Worst for it basically incompatible with a lot wireless devices when set to Auto chan + BGN is enabled,[first thing an BT person does when they remotely logs in is set it to chanel 6 and set it to b/g only, all problems go away wireless side] problem is BT provide the BThub3 with FTTC so you cida need the N part on (Sky is ok as they use there own router N seems to work fine but still set it to an fixed channel as default is auto)
before i even get my SH (not that i have to use it as my 50MB V2 modem is working quite happily on 100mb profile) i already ordered an linksys E3200 cant say if its good or not yet (waiting for it to come) but from tests it blow the socks off my older router and the SH one (has Dual 2.4 and 5ghz same time SH bit on that part it can only do one or the other)
|
|
|
27-08-2012, 04:31
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Temperamental piece of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B
Well the ISP change is not possible due to contract but what router would you recommend or is it a case of anythings better than the superhub?
|
it is defo a case of anything else is better than the shub which is why I always tell peeps not to bother with the shub and put it straight into modem mode. That being said, in terms of all round solid performance, reliability and features, you can't beat linksys. I have had 4 different models over the last 10 years and never had a problem with any of them. If you get a linksys you'll literally be going from one extreme to the other; super pants to super fantastic
|
|
|
27-08-2012, 13:53
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northants
Age: 82
Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro
Sky Talk
Sky+HD
Posts: 5,122
|
Re: Temperamental piece of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B
Well the ISP change is not possible due to contract but what router would you recommend or is it a case of anythings better than the superhub?
|
Up to the present I have not found any router that is as poor as the superhub regarding wifi, dropping connections wifi and wired, spontaneous rebooting and general misbehaviour. Add to this the number of features that do not work as expected EG the firewall, the byte/uptime counter ETC.
Any router that has a 3rd party firmware written for it (Tomato or DD-WRT) is usually a good bet. Three that come immediately to mind are Asus, TP-Link and Linksys.
Bang for the buck wise TP-Link seem to take the crown (I have yet to see a bad review).
I know Asus rt-n16 + TomatoUSB kicks ass because I have been running one.
As for Linksys, the General runs one and loves it, so it must be good.
|
|
|
27-08-2012, 14:29
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Andover, Hants
Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
Posts: 732
|
Re: Temperamental piece of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher
Up to the present I have not found any router that is as poor as the superhub regarding wifi, dropping connections wifi and wired, spontaneous rebooting and general misbehaviour.
|
My Netgear WRT-624 developed a nasty habit of dropping connection every 2 hours and had to be rebooted regularly.
My D-Link DI-524 was an absolute pain in the posterior, a temperamental piece of junk that took for ever to authenticate connection, sometimes dropped connection and had woeful wifi coverage.
Whilst I admit the SHub is not perfect, it's never dropped connection wired or wireless and gives better wi-fi coverage than either of my previous routers. Yes I know they were only G routers and there may be better kit out there, but so far my SHub does all I need and does it reliably.
|
|
|
27-08-2012, 14:35
|
#10
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Feb 2004
Services: V+, XL TV and Phone
XXL BB
Posts: 812
|
Re: Temperamental piece of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B
Is anyone else having problems with the superhub since the update, I don't use the default SSID and passkey and it keeps cutting out and has just reset them to the defaults on the back of the hub. Doing my head in
|
Mine is doing the exact same thing, it really has turned in a piece of rubbish, not sure if it's the latest firmware or not but I never used to have problems with it.
J
|
|
|
27-08-2012, 14:38
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northants
Age: 82
Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro
Sky Talk
Sky+HD
Posts: 5,122
|
Re: Temperamental piece of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6x
My Netgear WRT-624 developed a nasty habit of dropping connection every 2 hours and had to be rebooted regularly.
My D-Link DI-524 was an absolute pain in the posterior, a temperamental piece of junk that took for ever to authenticate connection, sometimes dropped connection and had woeful wifi coverage.
Whilst I admit the SHub is not perfect, it's never dropped connection wired or wireless and gives better wi-fi coverage than either of my previous routers. Yes I know they were only G routers and there may be better kit out there, but so far my SHub does all I need and does it reliably.
|
I guess I have been lucky with all the other routers I have used over the years
I just started using a sky hub sr-101 that is even more basic than the superhub. Although it performs poorly with it's 100meg ports as far as stability is concerned it seems rock solid.
|
|
|
27-08-2012, 17:27
|
#12
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Temperamental piece of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher
As for Linksys, the General runs one and loves it, so it must be good.
|
me and lots of other peeps and I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about them
|
|
|
27-08-2012, 18:19
|
#13
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Feb 2004
Services: V+, XL TV and Phone
XXL BB
Posts: 812
|
Re: Temperamental piece of...
Looking for dual band (simultaneous ) to replace this now as I don't think a replacement is going to make a difference.
Changed the thing to channel 13 And it's been stable for the past 8 hours
Is it really that flakey that a change to the channel number can have an effect on stability?
J
|
|
|
27-08-2012, 19:20
|
#14
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Temperamental piece of...
if you arent on the right channel I know you won't have a connection even if it says you are connected but the only times i have heard of the shub rebooting is when the wireless is set to 300mbits
|
|
|
27-08-2012, 20:09
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northants
Age: 82
Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro
Sky Talk
Sky+HD
Posts: 5,122
|
Re: Temperamental piece of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
if you arent on the right channel I know you won't have a connection even if it says you are connected but the only times i have heard of the shub rebooting is when the wireless is set to 300mbits
|
Mine rebooted what ever it was set to.
As it happened 300mbps actually slowed WAN and LAN transfers.
300mbps only worked with 5ghz. I found this to be the best set up for my superhub but unfortunately it still rebooted itself albeit less frequently.
As I was the only one using 5ghz locally the rebooting was doubly annoying.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:06.
|