Apple TiVo Acquisition????
21-08-2012, 16:30
|
#16
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,567
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcopeland
Let me be one of the first to say I'd drop my TiVo subscription if Apple take it over. I'm not a fan of the fruit company myself.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalis
Seconded.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius
Seconded
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984
Yes I would follow suit, I would never use an Apple product.
|
Ever considered chopping your own noses off? That would serve your handsome faces right.
I really don't get the vitriol. Apple makes technology products, which you can either like or not like, buy or not buy. Or am I missing something? Is their style-conscious consumer electronics operation really a front for the mass kidnap and enslavement of defenceless orphans?
If your TiVo box serves your needs now, it will continue to do so in the unlikely event of the company head office relocating to Cupertino.
|
|
|
21-08-2012, 16:48
|
#17
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
"I'm not a fan of ..."
"I would never use an Apple product"
"Ever considered chopping your own noses off? That would serve you handsome faces right"
SPOT THE ACTUAL VITRIOL!!!
|
|
|
21-08-2012, 16:53
|
#18
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,567
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m
"I'm not a fan of ..."
"I would never use an Apple product"
"Ever considered chopping your own noses off? That would serve you handsome faces right"
SPOT THE ACTUAL VITRIOL!!!
|
Or perhaps spot an actual sense of humour failure ... calm down, dear, it's only an Internet forum.
|
|
|
21-08-2012, 16:58
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Belfast
Age: 46
Posts: 4,594
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Ever considered chopping your own noses off? That would serve your handsome faces right.
I really don't get the vitriol. Apple makes technology products, which you can either like or not like, buy or not buy. Or am I missing something? Is their style-conscious consumer electronics operation really a front for the mass kidnap and enslavement of defenceless orphans?
|
See Microsoft circa 2003
|
|
|
21-08-2012, 17:00
|
#20
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
If that was supposed to be funny then you're right, I didn't get it.
FWIW I like Muppetman's observation that the sleak products of Apple are like those of Sky whilst the more Heath Robinson Android stuff is more like what we get from Virgin. It probably explains why so many on this thread have said they wouldn't want anything from Apple since almost by virtue of the fact that they are Virgin customers they're not the sort of people who want the type of products Apple offer.
|
|
|
21-08-2012, 17:06
|
#21
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,041
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
Mmmmmm...
I have a TiVo, AppleTV, 2xAndroid Tablets, 3xiPads, an Android Phone, an iTouch, a 80GB iPod, a Win7 PC and a couple of Win7 laptops - perhaps one size fits all definitions are a little simplistic?
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
21-08-2012, 17:16
|
#22
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
If your TiVo box serves your needs now, it will continue to do so in the unlikely event of the company head office relocating to Cupertino.
|
Exactly. Our contract (as Tivo users) is with Virgin, not Tivo. Unless Apple buy the Tivo service and close it down (and while Apple do have a habit of buying services and shutting them down, we have no proof they are interested in Tivo beyond a vague rumour and some analysts getting excited).
|
|
|
21-08-2012, 17:19
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Deepest pits of Hell
Age: 42
Posts: 4,964
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Or perhaps spot an actual sense of humour failure ... calm down, dear, it's only an Internet forum. 
|
Shame some people on here, including a select few moderators, can't take the same line with members on here.
|
|
|
21-08-2012, 17:36
|
#24
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae
See Microsoft circa 2003
|
Different thing entirely. Apple don't put traps in their OSes to prevent competitor's products running. Apple have never been a monopoly in any market. Microsoft were effectively until the iMac came along. Apple didn't use their monopoly position to remove their competition in other markets. Think Microsoft didn't? There was a thriving paid browser market until Microsoft bundled IE. How many competing office suites were killed off when Microsoft bundled Office with certain OEM copies of Windows?
Remember, they were doing this when they were effectively the only major OS provider, and they were bundling these copies with every PC. Why are people going to go out and buy an Office suite when they are getting a fully featured one for free? Yes, Apple do that, but while the iWork apps are quite capable apps, I don't think anyone could seriously argue that they have as many features as other suites.
OK, so there is App lock in with the iOS devices, but if you should switch to another platform, there is nothing stopping any of the app authors offering discounts to iOS users.
|
|
|
21-08-2012, 17:41
|
#25
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m
If that was supposed to be funny then you're right, I didn't get it.
FWIW I like Muppetman's observation that the sleak products of Apple are like those of Sky whilst the more Heath Robinson Android stuff is more like what we get from Virgin. It probably explains why so many on this thread have said they wouldn't want anything from Apple since almost by virtue of the fact that they are Virgin customers they're not the sort of people who want the type of products Apple offer.
|
I'm not sure that I get your point. Comparing Sky and VM's set top boxes, Sky's box possibly does feel sleaker. But isn't that because it has a fraction of the functionality of the VM tivo box? Surely it's fairly easy to make something sleek that only does the basics?
|
|
|
21-08-2012, 18:26
|
#26
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
It's not my point, it's Muppetman's on the previous page. But as an observation I like it.
---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
Mmmmmm...
I have a TiVo, AppleTV, 2xAndroid Tablets, 3xiPads, an Android Phone, an iTouch, a 80GB iPod, a Win7 PC and a couple of Win7 laptops - perhaps one size fits all definitions are a little simplistic? 
|
Agreed. That's why I said "so many of" and not "all" 
---------- Post added at 19:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------
For clarity:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
Funnily enough I see Apples products very similar to Sky's , slick intuitive interface and simple to use were TIVO is more like Android being that bit more complex with more advanced/customisation options.
|
|
|
|
21-08-2012, 18:29
|
#27
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,041
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
Bit of a difference between muppetman11's
Quote:
|
a bit more complex with more advanced/customisation options.
|
And your
Quote:
|
more Heath Robinson Android stuff
|
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
21-08-2012, 18:38
|
#28
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
OK.
|
|
|
21-08-2012, 18:50
|
#29
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
I'm not sure that I get your point. Comparing Sky and VM's set top boxes, Sky's box possibly does feel sleaker. But isn't that because it has a fraction of the functionality of the VM tivo box? Surely it's fairly easy to make something sleek that only does the basics?
|
It wasn't a dig at TIVO in fact quite the opposite , TIVO offers more customisation than Sky+HD , in much the same way I believe Android does over iOS. Apple elected for a simple intuitive style with a stock look and feel much like Sky have done with their STB software over the years , I agree with your point Sky+HD feels sleaker and more intuitive simply because it's not doing as much. I watched an interview a while ago with one of Sky's tech bods who basically confirmed that with 10 million+ customers they had to look at the age demographics of its entire subscriber base and make subtle changes without making the whole UI feel alien , he also confirmed the second screen would allow them to introduce advanced features for those who wanted them.
|
|
|
21-08-2012, 18:58
|
#30
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV
XL Phone
30Mb Superhub
Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
|
Re: Apple TiVo Acquisition????
The next thing you will have to do is stop buying the fruit look at the picture below they are taking over the world.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:02.
|