How unlimited is unlimited?
20-08-2012, 13:11
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: How unlimited is unlimited?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius
WHY then can we not see that data as well. ?????
|
For the current tools, I believe it's down to load. It's one thing to have an agent check the system when someone asks. It's a different thing to rollout that access to millions of customers and have it work reliably.
|
|
|
20-08-2012, 13:13
|
#17
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: How unlimited is unlimited?
Ben
There is a limit on what you can download each month. The first limit is your up to speed; the second limit, which is a cap, is the throttle.
Whilst the first limit is an obvious one, the second is a limitation imposed by VM that prevents you achieving the first. I'm not against that because it helps me. But the word "unlimted" has no semantic difference from "no limit".
I suspect that the OP may have bought his service when, in the midst of all the "Broadband Con" furore, VM were using the word "unlimited" (now "no limit").
Anyway, I think the OP has been thoroughly answered by now and for some it might just be grumble time!
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
20-08-2012, 13:28
|
#18
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: How unlimited is unlimited?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
It seems I have to speak to Taf's and the OP's points again.
|
No you don't. The answers have clearly been given.
There is no cap on any of VM's cable broadband services.
---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq
I would expect VM [to] abide by ASA's guidelines on use of the term "Unlimited" ..
|
Which, of course, clearly they do.
---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius
What annoys me is that many times i and others have asked for the tools to be able to check what we have downloaded and we never get them...
|
I'm sure there are plenty available on the internet  I'm sure if VM supplied one for its customers it would be derided for... I don't know... fudging the figures or something  So just use an ISP-independant product.
---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
There is a limit on what you can download each month.
|
Erm... okay.
Quote:
|
The first limit is your up to speed; the second limit, which is a cap, is the throttle.
|
Of course the third limit is the number of days in a month
Re BIB. WRONG! If you cap something it stops dead completely. None of VM's cable broadband services stop completely dead; ever.
|
|
|
20-08-2012, 13:30
|
#19
|
|
cf.mega poser
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,687
|
Re: How unlimited is unlimited?
Seems to me that, despite claims to the contrary, someone here has way too much time on his hands...
__________________
Remember kids: We are blessed with a listening, caring government.
|
|
|
20-08-2012, 13:33
|
#20
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Deepest pits of Hell
Age: 42
Posts: 4,964
|
Re: How unlimited is unlimited?
Thanks for all the answers, wish I hadn't asked now.
So I can download as much as I want, within reason I think is the ultimate answer.
|
|
|
20-08-2012, 13:42
|
#21
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: How unlimited is unlimited?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
For the current tools, I believe it's down to load. It's one thing to have an agent check the system when someone asks. It's a different thing to rollout that access to millions of customers and have it work reliably.
|
BT has more customers and manages it just fine...
|
|
|
20-08-2012, 13:43
|
#22
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: How unlimited is unlimited?
Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq
BT has more customers and manages it just fine...
|
And that proves what? Apart from they've built their current tools to be customer facing and to cope with that level of access.
|
|
|
20-08-2012, 13:44
|
#23
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: How unlimited is unlimited?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
Which, of course, clearly they do.
|
Thanks for editing my post to change its meaning and being fallacious as you usually do.
|
|
|
20-08-2012, 14:13
|
#24
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: How unlimited is unlimited?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984
So I can download as much as I want, within reason I think is the ultimate answer.
|
That's about it. Remember that it is a consumer, contended, service so the more you hog your connection may degrade the service for those who share your connection in the local green cabinet 
---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq
Thanks for editing my post to change its meaning and being fallacious as you usually do.
|
Nonsense. Firstly, no-one but you can edit your posts. But I know what you meant
The original quote was
Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq
I would expect VM (and all ISPs) abide by ASA's guidelines on use of the term "Unlimited" rather than making up their own definition ("Virgin Media speak"):
|
All I did was take out the reference to "all ISPs". Oh yes, and add in a word you missed out.
So I can't see how that changed anything of the meaning of your post
|
|
|
20-08-2012, 14:15
|
#25
|
|
Cable Forum Admin
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 15,142
|
Re: How unlimited is unlimited?
Thread closed at request of thread starter.
Oh look, a little argument stems out of nowhere. Only one person I know around here is capable of achieving this. Hello Carlwaring.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:50.
|