Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2012, 20:25   #256
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post


Resistance is futile you will be assimilated and be one with his collective

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:08 ----------



I check mine once a day
I check free space each time I delete a show, which is at least once a day. And I'm aware when I'm going to be recording a lot of hours of HD and take account of that, such as recently when the olympics were on and I was recording several 3 to 4 hour shows. It's just common sense, not rocket science.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-08-2012, 20:57   #257
carlwaring
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Why don't you do it your way and let other people do it their way, and you stop telling them that they should be doing it your way.
If I actually ever did that you might have a point

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I check mine once a day
Me too. More than that sometimes. Forever fiddling
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 22:11   #258
dwarfofpoison
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 134
dwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of light
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

I am an early adopter of TiVo and since the first time I got it virtually all my recordings are set to "Keep Until I Delete". My English isn't that great but my understanding was that if there wasn't enough disk space TiVo wouldn't record anything (fare enough).

House keeping (coming from a V+ with a very limited hard drive) is just something I've grown used to doing, I went away for a couple of weeks feeling secure in the knowledge that everything recorded with KUID was safe. Imagine my shock when I returned to find that my box had reached 94% full (that's not the shock) but beside the KUID recordings was the hour glass symbol and the statement that "this episode will be deleted within 24 hours".

I then spent ages in My Shows going into the hour glass flagged recordings scrolling down to more options then redoing all the keep until I delete settings again, it took ages (I later saw a post from Carl where if you've created enough disk space all you need to do is reboot the box and all the hour glass symbols will disappear, would have saved me so much time).

This event has scared me is there no reason to use KUID? Since then I've never let the box reach over 85% again, deleting a lot of stuff that if I hadn't been so traumatised I would have kept I feel there's no real difference between KUID and KUSN apart from the time needed for TiVo to put on the frighteners.

I got involved in forum threads where the discussion was about keep until space needed recordings were being flagged with the above mentioned hour glass / deletion statement when there's plenty of disk space available. My input was "get a grip" it's hardly a fault more of a typo because items flagged for deletion were never deleted if you had disk space, how hard is it to make the recordings KUID if you don't like the symbol showing up. What I said then now seems to be way off the mark because logic apparently plays no part in TiVo thinking.

I have to be honest I don't think it's deleted anything that I've set to KUID but the earliest recording on my box is July 2011 and I would have thought there would have been something in the first 5 months I would have wanted to save but my memory's not the best (I wanted reminders). I certainly don't trust it as others may do and the US use of the English language is definitely different to mine.

Unfortunately I think that 15 years of developement without the firmware being completely rewritten and overhauled lends itself to machines having varying idiosyncrasies, as long as it's not terminal TiVo will still survive.

Nevertheless it's a great bit of kit that anyone would find it hard to take off me, the foibles I'm getting used to.
dwarfofpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 22:35   #259
carlwaring
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison View Post
Imagine my shock when I returned to find that my box had reached 94% full (that's not the shock) but beside the KUID recordings was the hour glass symbol and the statement that "this episode will be deleted within 24 hours".
Okay. Now that is weird. Of course that should not have happened as KUID is supposed to be just that!

Quote:
...US use of the English language is definitely different to mine.
Sorry. Not with you on this. Please explain further.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 23:16   #260
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison View Post
I went away for a couple of weeks feeling secure in the knowledge that everything recorded with KUID was safe. Imagine my shock when I returned to find that my box had reached 94% full (that's not the shock) but beside the KUID recordings was the hour glass symbol and the statement that "this episode will be deleted within 24 hours".
.
Both my boxes went up to 100% full last year because I ended up in hospital at extreemly short notice and was in there for around 12 weeks. On getting home, there were no hour glass symbols and all my recorded shows were intact. It had obviously stopped recording after a while due to a full discs. But important recordings that I'd made before hand were still there because I always use KUID.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 01:12   #261
dwarfofpoison
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 134
dwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of light
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

At this very moment my box is 77% full I have a series link for Criminal Minds

Channel: 110 Sky Liv HD
Record: New only
Keep at most: All episodes
Keep until: Until I delete
Start recording: 1 minute early
Stop recording: 4 minutes longer

19 episodes have been recorded, there are no planned upcomming new episodes. The last six of these from 17/02 - 39/03 at this very moment are showing the hour glass symbol with This episode will be deleted within 24 hours.

I can't explain why it's marking them for deletion but the statement says "This episode will be deleted in 24 hours". If a big guy says they are going to punch me within 24 hours, I'll run to the hills. The statement is unambiguous!

So Keep until I delete doesn't fill me with the greatest amount of confidence! Maybe my box is faulty but the thought of loosing 18 months of Thumbing, series links and wishlists is a trauma I'll bare only if it does what it says it's going to do and start deleting things.

(these aren't the only programs marked for deletion!)
dwarfofpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 08:25   #262
carlwaring
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison View Post
I can't explain why it's marking them for deletion but the statement says "This episode will be deleted in 24 hours". If a big guy says they are going to punch me within 24 hours, I'll run to the hills. The statement is unambiguous!
As previously explained, it is also incorrect. It should read "...may be deleted...".

I have reported it a few times

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison View Post
Maybe my box is faulty but the thought of loosing 18 months of Thumbing, series links and wishlists...
You will lose only the recordings.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 08:59   #263
spiderplant
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Do you have the 15.3 software yet, dwarfofpoison? There have been bugs in the past related to it threatening to delete in error, so I won't worry about it if you are still on 15.2.

I've never known it actually delete when it shouldn't.

Quote:
...US use of the English language is definitely different to mine.
It works both ways. I told TiVo it was showing the egg-timer in error. That really confused them
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 10:04   #264
muppetman11
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It works both ways. I told TiVo it was showing the egg-timer in error. That really confused them
I'm guessing they refer to it as the 'Hour Glass'
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 11:10   #265
dwarfofpoison
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 134
dwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of light
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Do you have the 15.3 software yet
Yes spiderplant I'm on 15.3 but as I said it hasn't deleted anything that I consciously wanted to keep however I wouldn't swear on my life that any KUID recordings have gone. My understanding of TiVo is that if it deletes recordings they are permanently deleted and thus bypass the recently deleted folder (I'm sure I read that somewhere!) so with 1TB of recording memory there's little chance I can remember all that I've saved.

Am I the only one that gets the hour glass symbol on KUID recordings? (suggests a problem with my box) As I said earlier I know about the message that often gets applied to KUSN recordings but as Carl says it's been widely discussed and simply changing the word will to may would resolve that, they don't worry me at all

It's just worrying when the same warning gets applied to recordings made with KUID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
You will lose only the recordings.
Carl are you saying if the box is exchanged they can transfer all your series links, wishlists and thumbs? Food for thought, the day they can transfer recordings I'm definitely up for changing. Having so much space is a double edged sword I had problems with 5 V+ boxes, changing them meant a day or two of watching recordings but it'll take weeks to get through everything on my TiVo.
dwarfofpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 11:34   #266
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison View Post
Carl are you saying if the box is exchanged they can transfer all your series links, wishlists and thumbs? Food for thought, the day they can transfer recordings I'm definitely up for changing. Having so much space is a double edged sword I had problems with 5 V+ boxes, changing them meant a day or two of watching recordings but it'll take weeks to get through everything on my TiVo.

Whishlists, series links etc. will all be lost, along with recordings if you get a new box.

A way to back up series links and whishlists plus other settings is a very popular request to be included in a future update. I imagine VM enabling backups of your recordings is a whole different ball game and quite a long way off

You can back up your recordings yourself to a DVD or HDD recorder.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 11:35   #267
spiderplant
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm guessing they refer to it as the 'Hour Glass'
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison View Post
Yes spiderplant I'm on 15.3 but as I said it hasn't deleted anything that I consciously wanted to keep however I wouldn't swear on my life that any KUID recordings have gone. My understanding of TiVo is that if it deletes recordings they are permanently deleted and thus bypass the recently deleted folder (I'm sure I read that somewhere!) so with 1TB of recording memory there's little chance I can remember all that I've saved.
It would only actually delete any of your requested recordings if it had already emptied Recently Deleted and Suggestions, but still needed more space. I doubt it would really delete KUID recordings anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison View Post
Am I the only one that gets the hour glass symbol on KUID recordings? (suggests a problem with my box)
It certainly happened for other people on the 15.1 software. It was meant to be fixed in 15.2, but it seems there are still cases where it can happen. I'm sure it's a software bug rather than something specific to your box, so a swap wouldn't help. (Well, it would temporarily, but only because you'd have an empty hard drive).

I'll do some more testing of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison View Post
Carl are you saying if the box is exchanged they can transfer all your series links, wishlists and thumbs?
No, they can't. In the US there is the ability to do this, but it isn't implemented for VM currently.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 13:22   #268
carlwaring
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison View Post
Carl are you saying if the box is exchanged they can transfer all your series links, wishlists and thumbs?
No. I was referring to whatever the subject was in reply to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison View Post
Maybe my box is faulty but the thought of loosing 18 months of Thumbing, series links and wishlists is a trauma I'll bare only if it does what it says it's going to do and start deleting things.
My point was that you wouldn't lose the thumbs settings, etc., only the recordings.

As pb said already, if your box is exchanged then you lose the lot. The ability to back-up settings would be brilliant.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 20:10   #269
Jameseh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Good that the green on demand button works again now, 15.2 seemed to just redirect to the 'By Channel' on demand menu.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 20:25   #270
neilo
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brizzle
Services: V6, 350mb Broadband, Phone
Posts: 359
neilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to all
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Dwarfofpoison - I know you've probably thought of this and this isn't it, but I nearly lost a few episodes of Star Trek Voyager (I know, I know but it's Seven of Nine you see) which I thought they were all KUID, but some of them were KUSN because I only amended the series link to KUID after about ten programmes had recorded. I had to go back in individually on each recording and change them.
neilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:32.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum