TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
15-08-2012, 13:36
|
#121
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dorset
Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
Posts: 645
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
They've added an option to set a a global default which you can get to via 'Settings > Recordings > Default Recording Options'
Just to point out that it'll only apply to new series links set up after you change it. Any existing ones will stay as they are
|
looks like we got the update last night. Just set my defaults and very happy that I can set it back to 'on time'.
The one thing I do wish for is that 'overlap protection' would give the option of dropping padding between shows that clash rather than clipping. I prefer to have padding, as there are a few channels that regularly start up to a minute early and overrun by a minute or two, but i don't want that to cause me to miss the other show's beginning or end.
Overall I've been really happy with TiVo, that's been my only 'bug' since it arrived, and I can live with it, but would prefer not to. Anyone know if that's something they are working on, or is it not possible with the TiVo software?
__________________
Relatively happy VM customer
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 13:58
|
#122
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
Seems like a perfectly understandable to me. Any new recordings will conform to the set defaults unless changed manually.
Where's the problem? 
|
The problem is that not all the recording defaults can be customised
The statement, given what has happened in reality, should have said (my addition in red):
Quote:
|
"Global settings – You can now set Some default recording options for new single recordings, Series Links, and WishLists "
|
Without the word 'some' in the statement, the correct assumption is that all recording options can be specified.
When you click on options when setting a recording, the Keep until date is part of the options, but you can't change it.
Mark Wilkin either thought that all settings could be altered or made a mistake.
I'm sorry Carl, but I'm beginning to think that your blind loyalty to tivo is getting in the way of your reasoning.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 14:05
|
#123
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dorset
Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
Posts: 645
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish
Same here, although we only have one TiVo. I like to decide what to watch and when.
On another note, just in case I am missing something (don't think I am though). I was really pleased to see the Reminders function on the list of features - yes, I liked it very much on the V+ and I have missed it. Of course, I should have known it would not be as straightforward as that. As I understand it, I cannot use Reminders without recording the programme as well - well, that's just bloody useless. When I record a show, it's for watching it later and I don't need to be reminded. Were I to use a reminder, it would be for watching the show live so that I wouldn't forget, if busy, and if I were late I could rewind to the beginning.
Oh well, maybe there is a technical reason why it can't be done separately.
|
In order to switch over the channel at the beginning TiVo needs to reserve the Tuner. In order to reserve the tuner it has to set it to record. If it didn't reserve it to 'record' then another recording could take priority over the 'live channel change'. With V+ it had a dedicated 'live' tuner that was never used for recording so it could just switch the live tuner from one channel to the other.
Hope that made sense.
__________________
Relatively happy VM customer
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 15:01
|
#124
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brizzle
Services: V6, 350mb Broadband, Phone
Posts: 359
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
My prob with Until Space Needed is that things have vanished on me when I've used that. I know the hourglass appears for a day or two and says its going to be deleted but I've lost a few things before I realised what was going on. I know we all have our opinions but that's mine and unless someone can give me a good reason why that default is not there for a free choice by the user, when it used to be there, I'm always going to think it is another silly silly thing.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 17:08
|
#125
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winnersh UK
Services: , BBand 120M tier Superhub, O2 Mobile phone
Posts: 2,147
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Hooray.
now have my TIVO update 15-3-RCJ-VMC-2-C00
It allows me to set the recording padding to my default instead of it defaulting to 1 min early and 4 mins after which always had to ammend each to 1 min early and 1 min after.
Nice one Virgin.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 17:29
|
#126
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Got home from a few days at the in laws to find I've been updated as well. Once Andy M jr has spent an hour getting a few days of frustration with freeview out of his system I'm looking forward to finding out exactly what improvements have been made to od search. Anyone noticed any improvement yet?
---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------
Btw, this seems to have been a much faster roll out than the last big update?
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 17:35
|
#127
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bournemouth
Services: XL TV/XL BB(60) /PHONE/ M..TIVO/FREEVIEW HD
Samsung Galaxy s3
Posts: 629
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Got my update.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 17:40
|
#128
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by windy
Got my update. 
|
Nothing down here at this present moment.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 17:43
|
#129
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maidstone
Services: VIP;
BB XL;
TiVo 1TB;
V+HD
Posts: 674
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Typical, I make the original post and don't get the update!
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 17:44
|
#130
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Wonder when we are getting it here in Warrington ? There again do i want it considering what i am reading on here.
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 17:49
|
#131
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
I know the recordings that are more important to me than the others; Tivo hasn't got a clue about that.
|
Exactly. So give it a clue by setting only the most important ones to KUID.
Setting everything to KUID is a recipe for failed recordings.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 17:50
|
#132
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
TiVo does know which recordings are most important to you because you set priorities.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 17:51
|
#133
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvychels
The one thing I do wish for is that 'overlap protection' would give the option of dropping padding between shows that clash rather than clipping. I prefer to have padding, as there are a few channels that regularly start up to a minute early and overrun by a minute or two, but i don't want that to cause me to miss the other show's beginning or end.
|
Yes, that is the one thing that V+ was better at than Tivo. Because of the way Tivo handles this, and potentially clips shows, I went for zero padding right from the get go with Tivo and have had almost no problems. I sometimes add a bit of padding to the odd show that could have problems, i.e., BBC shows, but I check for the implications with regard to other planned shows first.
Personally, I doubt that V+ style padding will ever be added to Tivo.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 17:56
|
#134
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius
Wonder when we are getting it here in Warrington ? There again do i want it considering what i am reading on here.
|
Of course you do as remember you can't keep everybody happy as there will always be pro's and con's of any potential update.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 18:00
|
#135
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
Setting everything to KUID is a recipe for failed recordings.
|
So, how come I've never had any?
Besides missing the option to be able to choose this setting, rendering Express series links useless to me, I find it insulting that someone at VM/Tivo appears to think we have to have the choice taken away from us because we are not capable of manageing it properly.
---------- Post added at 19:00 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m
TiVo does know which recordings are most important to you because you set priorities.
|
I think, and could be wrong, but that is just recording priority; it won't use these when deciding what to delete first.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:02.
|