Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2012, 08:54   #91
spiderplant
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

The problem with "keep until I delete" is it reserves space for all the planned recordings. I saw an extreme example recently where the user had about 60 series links, mostly daily programmes like Jeremy Kyle and Bargain Hunt, all set to KUID. The TiVo was refusing to accept any more recordings even though the drive was only 37% full.

Use KUID for the things that really matter, and let TiVo manage the space for everything else.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2012, 09:21   #92
Mobes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Anyone else get this? Apparently some exciting new features are coming. Apart from reminders, what other features could these be?
Did we ever get an answer? lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 09:35   #93
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Whilst I think some of these implementations-only allowing a maximum of minutes padding, not being able to change the keep until setting-are clearly silly, I do think people should be prepared to try living with the current defaults for a while. If you've tried them and they don't work for you then fine, but if you haven't then try only setting express series links for a while. I genuinely think you'll be surprised at how clever TiVo is-for me the way it manages itself is it's best feature. I really think Virgin would have been better spending it's time and money educating it's customers on how best to use it's flagship product rather than develop add ons that were'nt in the original coding for over 10 years for a reason.

With the greatest of respect, I've been using PVRs of one kind or another for a lot of years now and Tivo for well over a year and I know how to get the best out of it for me, and that is not by using the current defaults.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 09:45   #94
harry_hitch
Inactive
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cambs
Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
Posts: 1,094
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Update completed in the PE27 area (area 31). On demand certainly seems a lot faster (don't know how quick sky anytime on skyhd+ box is to compare) currently enjoying the joys of ultimate shark month, cheers VM!
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 09:48   #95
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The problem with "keep until I delete" is it reserves space for all the planned recordings. I saw an extreme example recently where the user had about 60 series links, mostly daily programmes like Jeremy Kyle and Bargain Hunt, all set to KUID. The TiVo was refusing to accept any more recordings even though the drive was only 37% full.

Use KUID for the things that really matter, and let TiVo manage the space for everything else.


Nothing personal Spiderplant, but every recording I have set on Tivo since I got it has neen set with Keep until I delete. And I record a lot on Tivo. I have never had a problem.

Why limit user choice? Are VM treating all their customers as incompetent idiots? It appears that way to me given how the recording defaults have been implemented. VM messed up the first implementation of recording padding defaults; they had a chance to shine on their second go, and have messed it up again. I'm really annoyed with VM on this one, because for me, Express Series link remains completely useless.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 09:48   #96
carlwaring
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
"keep until space needed" is just crazy.
Why?
Quote:
why do VM make things hard here as hardly anybody would want that type of approach.
99% of my recordings are set to that. With >50% space available and only me in the house I don't need to set anything to KUID as my Tivo has not auto-deleted anything, ever since I got it.

Quote:
Must prefer it to be Tivo says its cannot record when no space is left so vast majority of users would want the default to be "until I decide to delete" (or whatever Tivo says as the option, not near my box right now to check).
You are welcome to your opinon, but that's all it is.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 09:49   #97
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster
 
johnasimmons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Camden, north London
Age: 67
Services: 500mb, 2 x TV360, Maxit TV, Sky Sports, Sky Movies, TNT Sports, Premier Sports, iPhone 14 pro max
Posts: 1,323
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

TiVo update 15.3 now implimented in north London (NW1)
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 09:50   #98
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
"keep until space needed" is just crazy, why do VM make things hard here as hardly anybody would want that type of approach. Much prefer it to be Tivo says its cannot record when no space is left so vast majority of users would want the default to be "until I decide to delete" (or whatever Tivo says as the option, not near my box right now to check). Tivo already alerts you when it does not have enough space, I've reached that limit once alreday. Don't like the idea Tivo can delete items by itself without me being aware, it should be my decision. Feel another "feature tweak" is required!
Spot on!
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 09:50   #99
carlwaring
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Why limit user choice?
They're not.

Quote:
Are VM treating all their customers as incompetent idiots?
No.

Quote:
I'm really annoyed with VM on this one, because for me, Express Series link remains completely useless.
Wow! Hyperbole much?
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 09:59   #100
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
They're not.


No.


Wow! Hyperbole much?
Given that you can't changbe the Keep until option, they are limiting choice

And given that I don't use some of the defaults that are unchangeable in Express Series link, so don't use it, then in my book, it's completely useless

The clue is in the word 'use'.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 10:25   #101
carlwaring
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Given that you can't changbe the Keep until option, they are limiting choice
You can change it. Maybe not by on the defaults, which I agree do seem to have been implemented badly, but you can change it if you want to.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 10:34   #102
andy_m
cf.mega poster
 
andy_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
With the greatest of respect, I've been using PVRs of one kind or another for a lot of years now and Tivo for well over a year and I know how to get the best out of it for me, and that is not by using the current defaults.
Like I said in my post, "if they don't work for you then fine". However, I suspect that a lot of people are complaining about the way this has been implemented without having given it a go. I was furious when the last update gave us 1 and 4 padding, and went on and on on this forum about how ridiculous this was as a solution. I wish I'd tried it first-works perfectly for me.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 10:41   #103
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
=carlwaring;35463370
You can change it. Maybe not by on the defaults,
But it's the defaults we are discussing

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post

which I agree do seem to have been implemented badly,
I'm glad you agree on that

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Like I said in my post, "if they don't work for you then fine". However, I suspect that a lot of people are complaining about the way this has been implemented without having given it a go. I was furious when the last update gave us 1 and 4 padding, and went on and on on this forum about how ridiculous this was as a solution. I wish I'd tried it first-works perfectly for me.
There is no way I will set up any recording without the 'Keep until I delete' setting, so that rules out the defaults right from the get go.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 11:02   #104
carlwaring
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
There is no way I will set up any recording without the 'Keep until I delete' setting, so that rules out the defaults right from the get go.
I assume you're in a large family then, with a heavily-used, very-full Tivo and don't want your stuff deleting until you've had a chance to watch it.

Which is fair enough
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 11:22   #105
spiderplant
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
every recording I have set on Tivo since I got it has neen set with Keep until I delete. And I record a lot on Tivo. I have never had a problem..
In that case you wouldn't have had a problem with "keep until space needed" either. The difference is only relevant when the disc becomes full.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:02.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum